Old Merkur Slant?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Issy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:eek: I'll let you know!!! :D Still 6 left! Anyone want to buy a used 3 times (not vintage) slant?! :happy102

I have a small collection of vintage Merkurs, I love them. I think the build quality is actually higher than the new ones, but I am a vintage guy at heart, so I am biased.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

What the...?!! Let's quote the seller's listing, shall we? "THIS RAZOR HASN'T SEEN THE LIGHT OF DAY SINCE IT WAS MADE", followed by "I'M SORRY TO SAY BUT THERE IS A SMALL CRACK IN THE TOP OF THE HANDLE OF ALL OF THESE SO THEY ARE NOT IN MINT CONDITION. Uh...just a little bit of contradiction there? :rolleyes:

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Not at all. the tops are fitted really tight, my guess is that when they were assembled they split the barrel, and that is why they were boxed up in the basement of a guy who used to work for Merkur. I talked to the seller and he says everything other than the crack is minty, and they are still solid, nothing is loose. I have seen a few "NOS" Gillette olds with the crack too. It was a risk of building them with thin barrels and pressure fittings.

edit: just realized what you were saying... so he checked each of them for the crack the day they were made 60 years ago?? haha Maybe he checked them at night.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Who knows? Where are Mulder and Scully when you need them? :p

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I got mine already tonight and they are very nice. Definitely NOS, but the crack is longer than I expected, about 1 inch. Still very solid, and doesn't look like it will be a problem.

[​IMG]

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

That looks much nicer than the blurry listing picture, rodd. Very tempting...

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Looks really nice, is the handle white plastic?

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

No, It looks just like my Pomco slant, which is silver plated, but the knurling has an off white paint or something. I think this was standard on this generation Merkur.

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

I like the white look, very classy :cool:

11. joshmpdx

joshmpdx New Member

it looks like it might be slant, is that the case???

keep us posted on the shave, is it more like the merkur classic or HD??

nice score!
    josh

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

It is a slant. The weight is lighter than an HD slant, at 57g. As comparison the classic is 51g, and the HD slant is 76g.
    I shaved with it this morning and it is really nice. With the lighter weight it seemed more maneuverable, and it still had plenty of heft to slice with ease. The crack seems to have no effect on anything except appearance. It still seems solid, and does not slip or anything. Just a mini review, hopefully it will help someone, let me know if you want more details.