~ Top 3 sharpest blades in a market ~

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Dec 28, 2016.

1. idan

idan Active Member

what the most (TOP 3) sharpest blades in a market ?
    Write them in by your rating (1- most sharpest), (3- the most low sharpness ).

1. Feather
    2. Kai
    3. Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)

Thank you very much [​IMG]

korbz and Matt0210 like this.
  2. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried every blade out there. Everyone has their own idea of which blade they think is sharpest and YMMV. Out of the ones that I have tried I would say:

1. Astra SS
    2.Astra SP
    3.Voskhod

Although the Voskhods are pretty sharp they are just not comfortable for me at all. I've tried them off and on and each time I find myself replacing it with an Astra. I really want to try Feathers tho to see what all the hype is about.

wristwatchb, RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

So far for me I'd have to say the following:
    1) Feather Black
    2) Gillette Silver Blue
    3) Shark Super Chrome
    However Gillette 7 o'clock Green is moving up and may well replace one of the above after my current Focus shave. Voskhods haven't even been broken out yet so the above list may be exploded by the second week in January!

Matt0210 likes this.
  4. RetLEO-07

I used Feather Black in my Focus shave and was impressed. My next Focus will be for my NEW SC to see which blade I'll be using in it. Already decided on Shark Super Chrome's for my DE89bl. Once I get my NEW sorted out I'll have my razor rotation set.

Matt0210 likes this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I would definitely put feather and Kai blades at the top and let several others Duke it out for 3rd place

PanChango likes this.
  6. Matt0210

Kai blades look crazy expensive. $37 for 100. To justify that much on blades with so many other low cost options they would have to be really good. They may be though. But at that price Feathers are a whole $10 per 100 cheaper.

7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

From my tests I would need to slightly adjust the list:
    1. Feather
    2. Rapira Platinum Lux
    3. KAI
    Rapira is sharper than KAI, almost on level with Feather in my yarn tests. There are still many blades I have not tested yet, so there might come other blades into the top.

RyX likes this.
  8. Engblom

KAI lasts about 5 times more shaves than Feather for me. I falsely claimed they are thicker than other brands in another thread. They are not, but they are definitely more stiff (more hardened), and keep edge better than most brands I have tried.

Demidog and Matt0210 like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Problem - an ojective sharpness test has yet to be done (that I am aware of).
    Thus, there is no answer to your question, merely opinion.
    Sorry.

10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Sharpest: Feather (but not comfortable)

Sharpest and comfortable: Polsilver Super Iridium, Astra SP, and Voskhod.

bleddybear likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

True, but multiple "likes" as it were could at least point you in a direction. Then it would be up to you, through a Focus, say to find what works for you.

12. Matt0210

I definitely want to try more blades. I'm always searching for the ultimate close/comfortable shave. Ones I've tried that I absolutely don't like. Crystals, Gillette 7'oclock (Green), Shark SS, and Sharps. Maybe I'll trade a 100 Astra SP for a bunch of different blades with someone on here. I have 390 Astra SP and 200 SS. But I like the Astra SS better so I'll just keep those and trade out the SPs

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Kai and feather are certainly more expensive than most other blades. I actually don't get them often because of that fact. I like voskhods and Gillette 7 'o clocks the best overall, but the OP didn't ask what I liked. I'm assuming he wants to seek out the sharpest blades possible to try out.

Of course, if you are seeking longevity, that crown jewel would belong to the personna 74.

The best way to go about figuring this out would be to get a sample pack from tryablade.com
    Amazon and eBay also offer a lot of samples pack options.

Matt0210 likes this.
  14. Matt0210

You're absolutely right. If your looking for "sharpest" blade then I suppose it would be Feather and Kai for sure.

15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Spyder likes this.
  16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I think as @swarden43 notes above the problem is the notion of a blade being "sharp". As far as I am concerned all razor blades are sharp....and I have the scars to prove it ;). Now smoothness...that is a different matter. They all cut stubble...some more smoothly than others. I have tried many blades and not all blades are smooth. I can identify two blades that I think are smooth (and sharp): GSB and Astra SP. I am sure there are others.

17. Engblom

When it comes to blades, I think sharpness is the only thing that can be tested without shaving. So far my simple naive yarn test has shown the same result as when doing a real shaving test. By shaving I would sort the tested blades like 1. Feather, 2. Rapira PL, 3. KAI, which is exactly what the yarn test also told.

Of course sharpness is not the only factor when one is picking a blade. One can not by non-shaving tests say what will be the best blade for somebody. There are so many different ways to make a blade and different coatings. Even though Feather is sharpest, it is not necessary the best blade for me.

18. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I find feather to be sharp but not necessarily the smoothest.

19. RetLEO-07

Dare I say with reference to your post; YMMV?

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but what objective testing have you done to reach that conclusion?

Bama Samurai likes this.