~ Top 3 sharpest blades in a market ~

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I haven't even used these blades. They're just always touted as the sharpest blades on forums. I'm going off what other people say.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Most blade reviews lack any real value or meaning. It's all opinion. When you find a blade that feels good, stick with it. All blades are sharp, and they don't matter nearly as much as people like to pretend they do.

Rusty blade, Spyder, simms623 and 2 others like this.
  3. Matt0210

:signs011:

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And unfortunately that's how false information gets propagated. It is best to speak from experience, or at least state, "I've heard it said..." :)

Rusty blade, Spyder and Omaney like this.
  5. Matt0210

Uhhhh......ok. He asked for my opinion so I gave it to him. I wasn't aware that there was a wrong answer.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Spyder likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The problem I have is that it was others' opinion, not yours, yet stated as yours.
    No problem if you've tried a blade and say they suck, or are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Problem is when you've never tried a blade and say they suck, or they are the sharpest blade on the market.

Sorry. Don't want to sound too harsh, but I want people to think for themselves and speak their mind, not spout the rhetoric of others.

Spyder and Omaney like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

IMO, one's hunt for the perfect blade, razor, brush, soap, cream, aftershave, etc. is what makes the wet shaving hobby fun. Sharing opinions and even the good-natured "trash talk" about which <insert any of the above> is best also makes the hobby fun.

I'm glad that there isn't a scientific test that reveals the correct answer on DE blade sharpness. I enjoy researching different options, making inferences based on trends in people's opinions, and then trying things for myself. In that respect, I would say that a collection of opinion-based reviews do have value. That may not suffice for sending a man to Mars, but it's probably good enough for the morning shave. :scared003:

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Pay attention to the wisdom from the short-timer.
    :happy088:

Spyder and wristwatchb like this.
  9. wristwatchb

As predicted, I slid under the closed door going to work this morning. :rofl:

Spyder likes this.
  10. Matt0210

I agree. But at no point did I say that I tried them, that I thought they were the sharpest, or that they sucked. If you go back and read my original posts earlier in the thread, you would see that I never said any one blade was sharper than another, and merely suggested blades on what I have used. When I said the feathers and kai were sharpest I put parentheses around "sharpest" indicating that the matter was purely subjective.

Demidog and Spyder like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

For clarity, there is some value in reading opinion. I still think most blade reviews lack real objective meaning. People should try blades without notions.

Spyder, NCoxSTL and wristwatchb like this.
  12. wristwatchb

That's your opinion. ;)

Spyder likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

My blade reviews are worthless. I can dfs with anything.

Spyder, NCoxSTL and wristwatchb like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Technique Trumps Tools...except maybe some of Neal's tools.

Spyder, NCoxSTL and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Feather, Kai, Bic as the sharpest
    Crystal, Astra SP, Wilkinson Sword, Personna Israeli Reds , mid range
    Derby, Shark, as mild
    Merkur's are probably made by a blind blacksmith.
    For most of us there is only one or two blades that are perfect for us, It takes time to find the right blade.

Demidog and Spyder like this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Yes every face is unique and we each will have different results with blades - but, I have to say my shave today with a Ladas blade, my first use, was exceptional. It was at that sweet spot, you are referring to, where it was sharp enough for a very close shave but completely comfortable and smooth. No irritation what so ever. You might want to give it a try. They're also at a great price point - $10 per 100. Good luck in your search.

Matt0210 likes this.
  17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Sharpness can be determined objectively if someone took it upon themselves to conduct the testing. The same can't be said of comfort. Some people don't find that sharpness necessarily translates to a better blade. I believe that it was Engblom who started trying to objectively assess the sharpness of various blades and even if it wasn't the most scientific method, it's still something.

For me, it's pretty impossible to distinguish between the sharpness of certain blades. However, it's crystal clear when a blade slices through hair with no resistance versus when it tugs or gets stuck in the really dense parts of my beard. Of the blades that I've tested, my top picks are:

1. Feather
    2. 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
    3. Nacet

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I think the general consensus is that blade preferences, perhaps like most of our wet shaving gear, is very much a YMMV thing. And so it should be. As @swarden43 often reminds us, it's our shave and we should enjoy it our way!
    Imagine if there was only one good kind of blade, or soap, or razor. How boring! It is the variety and the endless search for our own magic combination of hardware and software that gives us the perfect shave that gets us up in the morning!

A couple of winters ago I did a purely unscientific blade trial. I read lots of opinions and reviews of different blades. You really can't imagine how many blade reviews are out there on the forums. Then I randomly selected a handful of different blades to try, used each one for a week, wrote a short review after the week was over...took the usual flack from guys who disagreed with my "opinion" and finally decided on a couple of "ideal blades for me"...took more flack for my choices... and then I never looked back. This very unscientific blade trial led me to the view that all blades are sharp...but not all blades are smooth...or provide me with a good shave. The only way to find out is to shave with them...or accept the opinions of others.

swarden43, RetLEO-07 and dustmite like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Sounds like a job for a Focus shave to me!!
    ;)

20. octoserge

octoserge Member

I mostly agree, but would reshuffle a bit:
    1. Feather
    2. Gillette SharpEdge (yellows)
    3. Kai / Polsilvers SI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk