Lets talk salt.

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by mikewood, Jan 20, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some folks have a sweet tooth. I have a strong predilection for things salty and fatty.*
    MODERATION is, as in all things, the key. Taste before seasoning. Go easy on the processed food.
    I have slight hypertension and take medication. I do try to watch my sodium intake—mainly because our US diet tends to run high in sodium (even homemade whole grain breads)—but I'm not militant about salt aversion.

*Bacon - the perfect food..salty, sweet, fatty

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Me too.

Carbide Mike and Dzia Dzia like this.
  3. cubancigar2000

Nothing but sea salt and Himalayan pink in my house

4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Contains every mineral (even trace) that's in the human body. I drink a solé every morning.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. cubancigar2000

I started using sea salt about 15 years ago and around 10 years ago switched to Pink Himalayn. The wife and I love it and yes, it is much healthier. It is kind of expensive but it takes a lot less so I doubt the long run cost is any more than regular salt. The link will take yoo to an interesting review on the different salts

http://authoritynutrition.com/different-types-of-salt/

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Demidog, Carbide Mike and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Morton Kosher Salt.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When salt is needed as a cooking ingredient, I use sea salt. I don't salt too many foods at the table, but when I do, I use the pink salt.

Carbide Mike and Rusty blade like this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ditto...99.9992% of the time.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I live in southeast Louisiana and like salt, sugar and fat. They all add needed(to me at least) taste. I won't live without them. Although now I try to moderate how much I use and honestly wish I had taken the moderation route many, many years ago!
    That said I had heart surgery about 3 years ago, I was told my heart is 50% wrecked. I'm overweight, have diabetes, high cholesterol, peripheral artery disease and I'm ugly to boot. :)
    The really funny thing is I smoked heavy(40+ years, started when I was 10) until my surgery and my lungs are perfect, although everything else is shot to hell! :happy097:

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    jeraldgordon likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Knew if I did a little searching, I wouldn't need to start a new thread.

I've started collecting various salts. I do like the smoked salts. From the Fumee de Sel label, "The moist salt crystals absorb the rich, natural smoked flavors of the oak and the subtle citrus and herb flavors of the chardonnay. " In the salt keeper is a Cherrywood smoked salt.
    20161228_190555.jpg

BamaT, PanChango, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Iodine was added to salt because we really have limited ways of intaking iodine. + I Live between 3 mile island and peach bottom, :angelic007::chores016:

BamaT, Demidog and PanChango like this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Don't get me started on something else. Because of your posts in other threads I've already got a popcorn popper and some green coffee on order.

BigMark83, BamaT, RyX and 3 others like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy102:. :happy088::happy088:

14. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Awesome

15. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

All the famous Chef's use it !

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Have you tried smoking your own salt yet?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Too much salt, too little iodine. Everything in moderation.
    My exwife and all four children either diagnosed or headed towards Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). That's Latin for a bunch of currently untreatable zits of various sizes inside the kidneys that eventually damage tissue, raise blood pressure, and put em on the donor list about the time dialysis is needed.
    Cutting sodium intake is an easy way to help with the elevated BP. So our household went on lowered sodium as a life extension program. I got used to cooking and eating with less salt. But when a bit is needed for that flavor large crystal salt sprinkled on after cooking provides a satisfying burst and crunch of lower volume saltiness.
    Iodine in salt is a mineral supplement. The body doesn't make it, but you do need it.
    From the American Thyroid Association;
    Before the 1920s, iodine deficiency was common in the Great Lakes, Appalachian, and Northwestern U.S. regions and in most of Canada. Treatment of iodine deficiency by the introduction of iodized salt has virtually eliminated the “goiter belt” in these areas.
    ...iodine deficiency can lead to enlargement of the thyroid, hypothyroidism and to mental retardation in infants and children whose mothers were iodine deficient during pregnancy.

There are iodine supplying foods readily available. It's about a balanced diet, or taking your vitamins.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

We use sea salt for almost everything but I don't find myself adding salt to anything like I used to. It wasn't even a health descision, it just kind of happened. I do use garlic salt in my rubs though.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Same here

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Funny, all the folks who use kosher salt - I thought I was the only one! Try adding a pinch to cold sake. Not only does it melow the flavor, but the flakes swim around vigorously as they disolve. You won't get the same effect with regular table salt.

Carbide Mike likes this.