New Guys SR Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Redfisher, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

So here's what I'm thinking. We seem to have quite a few guys who are just starting out with SR shaving myself included. So I was thinking of a place where everyone could post the experiences they are having while learning this new art. This way we can talk about technique, successes and of course failures.
    I don't really intend to caretake here and hopefully our more experienced members will come by and offer advice and encouragement.
    As always pictures are part of the experience so remember, "no picture, it didn't happen "
    I'm looking forward to meeting all the new SR shaving guys here.

IMG_1537.JPG

Orville, brit, Tdmsu and 12 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Good idea I'm still in my first year of straight shaving and having fun. I still have a lot to learn. [​IMG]

brit, Carbide Mike, Tdmsu and 12 others like this.
  3. Redfisher

Thanks for coming along Mr. C!

4. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I think this is a great idea! I will take a picture soon of what I shave with! I currently shave with multiple razors, but I shave with my SR on the weekends when I have the time!

5. Redfisher

So I guess I'm going to be first and get things started. I've always wanted to shave with a Straight Razor ever since I started wetshaving. Just couldn't do it. No way, no how. Bought a couple of razors off the Bay and made several half assed attempts. My hands would shake and basically I was afraid bad things would happen.
    So I put it away in my mind but later it came back, still no good.
    I made a few partial shaves gradually growing more comfortable holding a deadly weapon next to my face. Finally I said to myself, I'm going to complete a shave with a straight razor start to finish. I made it intact and now I'm beginning to finally get somewhat comfortable with the whole thing.
    Right now my biggest challenge is my chin. The whiskers are thick and tough so yeah it is a PITA.
    Overall though I like what I'm doing.:shaver

45auto, Tdmsu, twhite and 9 others like this.
  6. Redfisher

Great!

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here are some questions for those relatively new to SR shaving:
    1. What do you enjoy most about the whole SR process?
    2. What's your biggest challenge so far in your learning process?
    3. What do you hope to accomplish in the coming year? (BBS shaves? Learn to hone? Learn to strop? Buy a zillion razors?)
    4. Are you a single-handed or double handed SR shaver?

Orville, MR41, Carbide Mike and 9 others like this.
  8. Redfisher

Easy questions but the answers maybe not as easy.
    #1 Simply doing this the old fashioned way? Or perhaps a simpler version of today's shave. Not sure.
    #2 The chin. Initially how to hold/grip the razor but my chin is a challenge.
    #3 Great shaves and learning to hone and maintain my razors. A lot to learn here for sure.
    #4 Turns out my left hand is not as useless as I thought. Currently using both hands.
    I guess that's it for now. Anyone else?

9. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I'll do the questionaire with reference to my shavette.

1. The way it shaves, and I'm able to line my beard up very easily. I also used to hate to shave, but now I look forward to it.

2. Biggest challenge is my neck, getting the razor in the correct position to shave the 100 different directions my hair grows.

3. This year I would like to get a couple straights to shave with, need to get the first one first haha. I'd like to learn honing and restoring by the end of the year, at least a decent handle on it.

4. I am right hand dominate except for sports. I golf, bat, and swing a hockey stick left handed. I can shave my cheek with my left, but everything else is done right handed.

Good idea for a thread.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I like the idea of this thread

1. What do you enjoy most about the whole SR process? I enjoy the old school feel
    2. What's your biggest challenge so far in your learning process? Biggest challenge so far is trying to figure out how to hold the razor for XTG and ATG passes. First attempt at a XTG pass resulted in a nice bite but I ain't skeered, I tried t again.
    3. What do you hope to accomplish in the coming year? (BBS shaves? Learn to hone? Learn to strop? Buy a zillion razors?). I plan on getting to BBS shaves and learning to hone. I bought the Norton 200/1k and 4K/8k set and a Naniwa 12k. I don't plan on buying a zillion razors, but if I can find a few elusive straights along the way I will acquire a few more.
    4. Are you a single-handed or double handed SR shaver? I am right handed and learning to become a double handed shaver. Using my left hand feels like I am cheating on myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I'll ride along on this thread:
    1: I've always been drawn to the straight, even as a kid, I loved sneaking into my dad's cedar box and checking out grandpas straight. I have the box, my brother got the razor:(
    2) I don't have the biggest challenge per se, but I discovered that the first pass is the most important. With adequate beard reduction without irritation or nicks, you're set up for success on subsequent passes.
    3) The next step for me is learning to hone. I've acquired a Norton 4000/8000 and I have a Swaty coming in the mail. I have to decide on a finisher.....
    4). I can equally handle the razor with either hand. Perhaps playing guitar helps?? I also reach across when going atg on the front sides of my neck, using a scything stroke pivoting at the wrist ( if the makes sense). I hold the blade with two hands and make very short strokes when atg on the upper lip (fools pass). These two techniques I've incorporated the last couple weeks, have enabled me to get the bbs shave that I was used to with the injectors.
    I'm 100% committed to the str8; I've pretty much cleaned out all my other razors with the exception of birth quarter super speed, two Schick injectors and one three piece modern de.

12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have about 250 straight razor shaves in, so even though I still feel like a new SR shaver, I'm not. I like the idea of this thread and will chip in. My main suggestions I always give:
    1) Make your lather a little wetter than you would with a DE.
    2) Learn how to skin stretch. Run your finger tips on an alum block to be able to grip soapy skin.
    3) Take your time. Going fast is a good way to cut yourself.
    4) Angle, on a 5/8th razor, try to keep the spine one to two spine widths from your face.

Jayaruh, DBart., Carbide Mike and 8 others like this.
  13. Redfisher

Stretching is the most important part. Like night and day really. Easy to forget but very important !

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

True, a straight will plow right through a fold in the skin.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Since I posted it, I probably should add my own commentary… :o

• What do you enjoy most about the whole SR process? The 'old world' vibe, man vs steel, keenly-sharp edge vs whiskers & coupled with developed technique.
    • What was your biggest challenge in your learning process? Developing the confidence to be firm and determined with my blade strokes. Meek & tentative strokes = a lousy SR shave.
    • What do you hope to accomplish in the coming year? To become more adept with the traditional kamisori technique (stamp side out). More difficult and certainly different than shaving with Western-style blades.
    • Are you a single-handed or double handed SR shaver? Double. My right hand was much weaker than my left (and more clumsy), but with practice….;)

16. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I did more wet today than I normally do and I did stretch. Angle is something I have been reading about.
    One article that I can't find now said 30 degrees for WTG and I suspect that is the two x the width. Then it said 25 degree for XTG and 5 degrees for ATG.
    So my question is, do you all reduce the angle of the dangle (blade) depending on the direction of the...pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

First off to all newbies.... WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!

I have a little over a year and a half in as a SR guy and I love each and every shave and almost feel guilty using a DE anymore. I now have a whole honing setup from 1K Chosera, and 4/8 Norton, naniwa 3/8 & 12k and a few natural Welsh slates.

I find with SR's I don't find a need to go ATG as the SR allows me to touch up any areas I might miss. I am so comfortable with a SR, I occasionally forget and the razor gives me a not so gentle reminder. (if I am lucky)

If I can be of any help to new SR guys, and please feel free to hit me up.

DBart., Carbide Mike, twhite and 7 others like this.
  18. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Oh and to answer Kevin's questions
    1. I love the old school feel and relaxation I get doing a shaving "process" and as opposed to a chore. Also, that since many of my razors are from turn of the century, and I like to think of all the stories and faces the razor could tell me about could it speak.
    2. My biggest challenge was learning the chin and left jaw area.
    3. This year I hope to procure a kamisori and learn to shave with it.
    4. Lastly, I I am pretty comfortable shaving with both hands, and but feel most secure with the right.

19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

This thread is a great idea. I will comment on the chin issue. This was a trouble area for me when I started SR shaving. My chin stubble is the thickness of one of those metal pot scrubber things. I had no problem using a SR on any other part of my face. One trick I used was to shave my chin area with a DE on the first pass and do the rest of my face with a SR. Then do a full SR shave on the second pass, including my chin. This helped me to develop muscle memory on my chin. I eventually used the DE on less and less of my chin and now the chin area is as comfortable as the rest of my face.

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Like shaving a freaking door knob covered with steel wool:)