Bay Rum recommendations

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Norcalnewb, Sep 17, 2016.

1. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

bayrumcollection.jpg So This is my bay rum collection. What do you think?

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

quite good. What's the one on the far right?

Norcalnewb likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

ditto. Ogallala (and the various flavors) is the only BR that I really like. The lime-pepercorn is particularly nice, IMHO.

4. Paul Turner

I like the Ogallala western tradition thing, but too clovey (from what I read).

Norcalnewb likes this.
  5. smittywerbenmanjensen

It's Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime. Although not really a bay rum, it's got that island cache I think. lol

Norcalnewb and Paul Turner like this.
  6. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

Soap Commanders Bay Rum is Really Good :)

Norcalnewb likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

I've read that Supperior 70 and Domenica(from that list)are top notch.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

I have yet to try a Bay Rum soap-thanx for the tip.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  9. smittywerbenmanjensen

superior 70 is super cheapo. i've posted that domenica, ogallala, captains choice, royall, all have that clovey scent which i think gives bay rum its identity. those 4 all smell quite similar btw.

Norcalnewb and Paul Turner like this.
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I've used the Ogallala: Limes and Peppercorn for many years and it's worked well for me. It's been a while since I re-ordered, but the service is terrific -- nice folks.

11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I love the Bay Rum scent. Only have three bay rum soaps so far - see below. They are all great but Captain's Choice is my favorite. I will be ordering more soaps in the bay rum scent in the future. I'm also ordering some bay rum scented after shave and balm.
    Bay Rum.jpg

12. smittywerbenmanjensen

I recently finished up with Captain's Choice and Cat O' Nine Tails (much like Ogallala Double Strength). Good stuff. However they all have that similar clovy scent.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have two Bay Rum creams, Taconic and Stone Cottage Soapworks Bay Lime. And of course the Granddady of all Bay Rum AS, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum!!!

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I used to have quite a few Bay Rum shave soaps.
    Captain's Choice
    Italian Barber
    Krampert's
    Mystic Water
    CRSW

I only have one now: Mike's--and it's my favorite.

wristwatchb and Norcalnewb like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am going to one bump this thread (I can't believe it is over a year old) as I have just found a new Bay Rum. I just tried Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum from PAA, and I have to say I really like it. There is no clove in it, and honestly I see now why some people don't like the cloves. I won't say it has forever turned me off cloves, as I will still go back to Stirling, Ogallala and some others, but man this one is terrific. I can really smell the Bay along with some cinnamon, and some citrus. The AS is aged in oak, and that gives just a hint of vanilla as well. The AS feels great as well.

16. Paul Turner

Good report, thanks.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Norcalnewb like this.
  17. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Another brand that I'm really enjoying is HBG Bay Rum. No clove scent at all. Exact opposite of Pinaud VIBR (which I still like!). All natural ingredients, very soothing.

HBG bay rum.JPG

Paul Turner and Norcalnewb like this.
  18. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I have some pineapple Bayrum CK soap that smells terrific so it wouldn’t shock me that they have a great AS as well. I usually pair it with VIBR but I like clove so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb likes this.
  19. saturnine

saturnine Member

I love the scent of Pinaud Bay Rum, but the ingredients list leaves a lot to be desired. Can anyone recommend another Bay Rum AS with a similar scent profile but natural ingredients & good staying power? How would Stirling compare? Krampert's? Barberry Coast & Captain's Choice seem highly recommended, but from what I read they fade quickly. Something under $20.

I just picked up some Ogallala Bay Rum & don't care for the scent at all. It reminds me of something to do with xmas (& nothing to do with Rum) but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe more sweet than spice? Not to mention it lit my face on fire. If anyone is interested, I would welcome a trade (3.9 oz).

Thank you in advance.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have Captain's Choice and Stirling, both of which have a similar scent profile to me, and they are both similar to Ogallala, IMO. Stirling's Bay Rum does have some good staying power. Maybe try a sample of it to see if you like it.

And, I would definitely recommend giving the Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum a try as well.