4711/Neroli Portofino Shave Kit Complete!!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Tim Spencer, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

****UPDATE!!!****
    Hey all,

I will be unveiling shave kits this month that have been under construction. This prototype has now gone "active".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fragrance 1 - Echt Kölnisch Wasser "4711" Eau de Cologne "splash" (originally by Muelhens)
    Classic Fragrance Atomizer for the 4711 to prevent waste and apply a controlled amount.
    Fragrance 2 - Tom Ford "Neroli Portofino Forte" Eau de Parfum
    Shower Gel Soap - Echt Kölnisch Wasser "4711"
    Shave Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "11235"
    Aftershave - Echt Kölnisch Wasser "4711"
    Deodorant - Tom Ford "Neroli Portofino"

The fragrances are among the best floral numbers a man can put on. The classic 4711 Eau de Cologne that inspired the Tom Ford's Private Blend scent Neroli Portofino. I own the flanker called Neroli Portofino Forte. Strong and longer lasting, but VERY expensive!!! The shave soap smells IDENTICAL to 4711 and performs wonderfully. The stuff lathers up incredibly easy. You simply aren't going to smell better than this!

NEW!
    [​IMG]

Fragrance - Nautica Voyage EDT
    Shave Soap - Nile Naturals "Melon Cucumber"
    Post Shave Toner - Humphreys "Cucumber Melon" Witch Hazel
    Aftershave - Williams Aqua Velva
    Deodorant - Salt of the Earth Pure Aura "Melon Cucumber"
    Soap Bowl - Vintage Palissy "Maytime" 1950's sugar bowl

Now on to the gear.

The star of this show is the hand-made custom Turquoise Stone shave brush with a 24mm Synthetic Nylon Knot that was lathed and then buffed to a shine by Christina Gurnham Alvarez of the Etsy woodworking and hand crafting shop "cgurnham".
    I highly suggest checking out her shop because there are some NICE items in there!!!

She was kind enough to provide pictures during construction:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The unboxing of the brush:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, the razor. Stirling Soap's own version of the Slant Razor. It's a great piece of gear and nearly impossible to buy right now. I was able to procure this razor thanks to Straight Razor Dandy of this forum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The razor/brush stand is a Marconi model that I bought from Ebay many months ago. It originally was a mistakenly bought item and I just so happened that the custom brush fit the stand perfectly, so I purposed it for this shave kit.

**NEW!!!**
    I have just added a 2-piece Turquiose Shaving Scuttle to this kit!!! Thanks to the artisan Karen Goldberg of Karen's Pottery! <-Clickable link!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because this is 2-pieces, it can double as a stand alone lather bowl when I don't want to bother with heating water. It doesn't normally come this way, but can be requested!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another fine collection you've assembled. Top rated, Sir!

Carbide Mike and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. Tim Spencer

Every one of my shave kits have items that are amazing in one way or another. Either by matching aesthetically or by having original, hard to find gear/components or even custom made items (including custom soaps, aftershaves and deodorants). I give examples of my components in every one of my kit reviews so that if anyone wants to make one of these themselves, they can, but there are some cases where items are one of a kind vintage and the odds of finding a match are low. I haven't shown what kits are to come. I have lucked out in finding vintage items. You're going to love what is coming up. I love this shave kit because of the Turquoise Stone custom brush and the Sterling Slant Razor and the fantastic smelling products. 4711 is going to be a spring and summer favorite of mine this year and this kit will be used often.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

That is just fantastic, the 4711 is one of my favorites! I didn't know Phoenix made a copy! Gorgeous brush btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Spencer and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. Tim Spencer

Thanks. That brush is the jewel of this shave kit and the Sterling Slant Razor is certainly no slouch, nor is the 4711 fragrance. I think that Christina Gurnham Alvarez has some fantastic custom gear that are better than my brush. People should take look at her work. It's magnificent gear. I only picked the Turquoise Stone for my brush because I'm anal about matching up color and scheme. She's got talent at making shave gear and she seems to be putting in a winning effort from what I've seen of her products. She deserves to have people in this hobby looking to buy her wares.

RyX, George X and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs021:
    TF Neroli Porofino is a nice touch. Great kit!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

That is an EPIC setup!!

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I recall your previous Kits. Have you considered adding links to them in your Signature? With the volume of traffic here at TSD they've been buried. Many new folks haven't seen them yet.

9. Tim Spencer

When the pending shave kits are rolled out, then I'll put them in my signature. I'll also be posting these more in the SOTD threads when I have more setups. I'm nearly there.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good on you! My style I've labeled "filbberdegibbet" as I'm all over the map. I do try to match up a soap and AS but I'm an ameture. You are gathering sets at a Pro level.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

Yes. The 4711 is a really nice aftershave and not expensive. I'm liking it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Tim Spencer

I'm thinking about adding a shave scuttle to this kit so that I can make really thick lather that is hot. I'm browsing around for a scuttle today. Hopefully I find one worthy to put with this setup.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Etsy might have the scuttle for you. Many talented artist and craftspersons, maybe a custom piece? A local potter might do a commission or you could take a class and do one yourself. The lid of that 11235 is inspirational!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Where is a good place to get the deodorant ? Is it expensive, and does it work well. ?. Kit sounds awesome . Great job ! :),

15. Tim Spencer

Unfortunately, Echt Kölnisch Wasser discontinued the 4711 Deodorant, which was very affordable. That left me with no choice but to either find someone to custom-make a deodorant or buy the already-available Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Deodorant. The Tom Ford Deodorant smells identical but is in the expensive $50 range. If there was something cheaper, I would have bought it, but was not able to find a match. There are some people I have worked with recently who are able to create custom deodorants which don't exist, however when they did this for me it seemed to be taking more of their time than it was worth. I wasn't about to ask for an additional 'favor' to make a deodorant that was already available.

16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I have seen some 4711 deodorant sticks, but they were in Europe so I am glad you found a replacement. It's a really nice kit. !

Tim Spencer likes this.
  17. Tim Spencer

Yeah! Thanks to your help, I was able to match a razor to the custom made brush to put with a fragrance that will be my most used during the spring and summer months. I'm currently shopping around for a scuttle and will likely update pictures at some point in the coming weeks. The Sterling Slant razor wasn't initially planned for this months ago, but became the 'only' choice after obtaining it.

18. Tim Spencer

Update!!! New pics!!! I have added my first scuttle!!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice! The color fits well. I've considered a scuttle but the idea of tea pot shape wouldn't allow thorough cleaning of the hot water reservoir. You've conquered the problem with the two piece system.
    Stylish & functional. Got your Feng Shui going strong.

20. Tim Spencer

Wow!

I had my first real shave with all the products combine this morning! How was I living without a hot lather shave all this time???

Step 1 - I microwaved the scuttle water until it boiled and while it was microwaving
    [​IMG]

Step 2 - I put hot water from the tap into the bathroom sink to make the sink itself a bit warm.
    [​IMG]

Step 3 - then heated a separate cup of water until it boiled.
    [​IMG]

Step 4 - Then I drained the sink water, and refilled it with the cup of boiling water+hot tap water.
    [​IMG]

Step 5 - then placed my boiling hot scuttle in the hot sink water.
    [​IMG]

Then I took a shower and when I got out the water was still 'hot' and when I made the lather.....wow!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This lather was even MORE creamy, even MORE cushiony and it felt fantastic on my face. So warm, so soothing.

I fully understand now why it's such a luxury to be able to use hot lather. I am going to have to purchase at least one or two more scuttles of different colors for my other sets. I'm SOLD and a huge believer now in 'hot' lather.

And the hot lather, great soap and slant razor made for an awesome shave. I think this may have been the best shave I've ever had. As good as any luxury old school barbershop shave.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017