Wristwatches: where do you wear yours?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When I was a little girl, I had no end of trouble telling left from right, but knew that I wrote with my left hand. The easiest way for me to be sure was to pick up a pen or pencil. If it felt comfortable, I knew it was in my left hand. So, once I was old enough to wear a watch, I started wearing it on my left hand, just to identify it.
    I still wear it on my left, just past the wrist bones. This also came in handy when I was teaching, because I could check it easily, while writing on the board. (A teacher needs to be aware of the time, to pace the lesson properly.)

2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Back in the day when I had to wear a suit everyday I felt naked without it. If I forgot to put it on and got to work it drove me crazy not to have that appendage. Now 15 years later it would drive me nuts to have one on. Of course back then it was the only way to tell time.

gorgo2, Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0144.JPG Left wrist. Band is as tight as the jeweler can make it an' it's still loose. I DO NOT wear this baby to work!

wristwatchb, gorgo2 and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Left arm, just above the wristband. I have to use the chronograph and tachymeter constantly. .

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Left arm, above the wrist, but I keep them somewhat loose.

gorgo2 and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

AFAIK he used a pocket watch (not joking). Remember that he grew up in the first half of the 20th century.

Carbide Mike and gorgo2 like this.
  7. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

Just above the wrist joint , loose enough to move some but not loose enough to move up or down.

Carbide Mike and gorgo2 like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's how he made the trains run on time.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Probably, but wristwatches started to become popular in the '40s. So, maybe he had one. And, according to google, he gave one to Eva for her 27th birthday.

Eeyore and Carbide Mike like this.
  10. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

I'm a lefty and wear mine on my left wrist. It's a right handed world and I was just following the crowd when I started wearing it back in grade school.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

always been on the left wrist for me.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Brian, Doc Ezlovan needs to see that watch(Stuhrling):).

gorgo2, Carbide Mike and mrchick like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm one of those elderly gents. HA! Before I retired, I wore it on the left wrist. Now it sits in the top drawer of my high-boy. I pulled it out and put it on to see where I wear it. I know when I was young I liked the Speidel twist-o-flex band, and I was skinny. So, I took out the links to make it snug for the south side of the joint. I don't like loose bracelet fit. I like it snug. When I discovered velcro bands, I started wearing it just north of the joint and snug.
    watch.jpg

Carbide Mike, gorgo2 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Awhile back I found a jubilee band that fit my old Citizen dive watch and attached it. I gave myself a couple weeks to get used to it but just couldn't. The multiple little links we're just too distracting.

Then a couple weeks ago I found a cheap Target type dive watch with a decent stainless oyster band. I put that band on my watch. I've been wearing it now for a couple weeks and I am very pleasantly suprised how comfortable it is once you get it sized right and used to it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Believe it or not, cave divers who routinely dive 700+ ft use a cheap Casio watch available in Target and Wal-Mart, and They hold up better than the most expensive dive watches.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That might be the case indeed, since wristwatches rapidly became popular in the military due to their small size and their convenience.

To be fair; I am not that interested in Hitler's watch(es). And no brand would want to be associated with him (or Nazi Germany) anyway.

For the record, I have my wristwatch on my right wrist, as I am left-handed.

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That doesn't surprise me.

Another "strange but true," is Italian men often wear their watch over their shirt sleeve. It's for convenience rather than fashion, from what I understand. Or at least that is how it started.
    [​IMG]

19. Right handed on my right wrist, above the joint. 30ish years ago, I broke my left arm, and had to move my watch to my right wrist, and have been wearing it there ever since.

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. stream26

stream26 Member

My daily wear watch is a Nixon quatro on a bracelet that fits just above the wrist bone.
    [​IMG]
    So, too, does another favorite, a Sturhling http://jonsguide.org/best-top-stuhrling-watches-reviews/. I have a couple of more subdued, vintage watches for evening cultural and social affairs, an IWC and a Hamilton, both on leather bands that I adjust to fit below the wrist bone, to see the time without turning back a cuff. For robust outdoor activities, I put a Casio GShock, below the wrist bone to be easily visible among parka cuffs, gloves, ski pole straps, etc.