Cheap but tasty canned chili find

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by gorgo2, Jan 9, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Of course I prefer homemade; my wife's recipe almost exactly duplicates my mom's so that's the best to me, but we rarely have time to make and freeze a batch. In second place would be Steak n Shake's chili deluxe but they don't have too many SnS out this way. Stores used to carry canned SnS chili in but I haven't seen it for some time.

Compared to that, they've all been disappointing and I've tried them all, pretty much...Wolf, Hormel, Chunky, Castleberry, et al. I don't buy any of them twice.

The other day I found Van Camp's chili with beans and figured what the heck. Cooked two cans for supper tonight and was thoroughly surprised and impressed. It's very close to Steak n Shake's...in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it's from the same cannery. The trick is to add almost a half can of water to two cans of chili to thin it out a little bit. I'm buying a case next time I see it.

Just a friendly heads up if you eat canned and haven't tried it before, it's not bad

dustmite, CarlfromMO, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Van Camp's chili is pretty good. It is hard to find a chili that I dislike. Although it is fresh and not from a can, I always get a small chili every time I go to Wendy's.

mikewood and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup, those chunks of torn up hamburgers makes it.

Before I embarked on my current career, I worked in a brand name tomato warehouse (if I named it, you'd likely have seen it). I was amazed to see just how many different name brand and store brand labels were put on the cans of basically the same tomato products, maybe with a slight tweak here or there but basically the same.

That's why I wouldn't be suprised that Van Camp makes SnS, they taste that similar to me (not exact, but close).

Jayaruh and dustmite like this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'll have to check out the Van Camp's. I have to admit, Hormel chili is a guilty pleasure... It's not really that good, but when I'm hungry for it, nothing else will do!

Jayaruh and gorgo2 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hormel is everywhere so I've really tried to like it. Look fwd to your thoughts on VanC, good or bad.

Jayaruh and dustmite like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zthumbsup.png

7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'll mix up some Hormel chili (no beans, of course) with some chopped up Hormel tamales (yes, I know...blasphemy) and some Knorr Spanish rice and scoop up a mouthful in a tortilla. I get lazy at times and don't feel like cookin'.

dustmite and gorgo2 like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Speaking of tamales, you remember Derby's in the glass jar?

dscaver likes this.
  9. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

If you belong to Costco, they carry Stagg Chili. It is very very good for a canned product

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Made some Homemade Chili tonight.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never been there, not sure they have them out here.

12. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Nothing beats homemade, but a few canned ones I can tolerate are the Stagg Turkey Ranchero and Cattle Drive Chicken Breast Chili. I normally can eat those without doctoring. I often eat Nalley Turkey Chili too but need to add chipotle and a little cumin. I primarily eat turkey chili for "health" reasons though it probably doesn't really matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Van Camps is pretty good. I find it on sale all the time here. Most of the locals like Wolf or Castleberry.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So we've all heard of chili on a hotdog - the tasty chili do.
    I was in Spain and the chow hall served up a chili cheese omelet - a ladle of chili over a cheese omelet. Absolutely fantastic.

Any other things you slather chili over?

gorgo2 and dustmite like this.
  15. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Home fries or hash browns, and my mom always ate hers over mashed potatoes.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I can eat chili on just about everything. After my time in the Army I think I might have.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

We usually fry several pounds of burger and add it to a crock pot. Add a couple chili kits and other spices and cook it for 8 hours. Then spoon into ziplock screwed top tubs. When we go thru the dozen odd tubs it's time for another batch. Usually there is chili, beef stew and a few other soups on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My wife makes Dragon's Breath Chili - 2 jalapenos, 2 or 3 habaneros, a couple other hot peppers, hot sausage.
    Some good!!

dustmite, gorgo2 and Matt0210 like this.
  19. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

That chili looks like the bomb. I always make homemade chili but chili is outstanding when you cook some ground up sausage into it. try it. youll never eat it any other way

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Mine has beef, pork, and veal. No beans.

gorgo2 and Matt0210 like this.