January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Be careful, if that drawer reaches criticality, Fukushima might look like a campfire.

3. Bama Samurai

Feather may be too sharp, at this point, for that NEW geometry. You may, however, find that in the coming months the range of blades that will produce good results should increase. I vote bail on Feather for now, I will get better later.

4. Bama Samurai

1. Totally concur on Magic. It's a hidden gem of the pro Barber world.

2. Try pressing a marble sized ball of R66 in to a bowl. It's about 2-3 shaves worth.Then place a half tbsp of water on it, and hit it with a dry synthetic until the water is gone. Wet face, build lather on face. R66 really shines with open blades when face lathered. It will solve your sample cup size issue. I also love the skinfeel post shave of R66.

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Second time in two days using a razor for the first time. Schick F, a little more mild than the E or G. Very easy to use. I noticed I am using both hands now, regardless of razor type. Have clients on site this week, so am doing daily shaves, along with some beta testing for a new soap. Had a good two pass shave, with touch up. Got a DFS, and the razor is mild enough that the alum was quiet.
    IMG_5463.JPG

6. Bama Samurai

Cool Schick! I've not seen one of those before up close.

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I really appreciate you pointing me towards the Magic. It's nothing fancy. But it just plain works.

I almost always face lather. I peeled the paper on the soap back a bit and loaded with a slightly damp brush, the lathered on a wet face and added water slowly. Lather was terrific, and that was the most irritation-free shave in a while. I mean dead quiet. I am pretty well settled on purchasing the Bourbon Jungle from the scent profiles, but Rum Runner is in the running. I need to lather and use both. I assume all will function similarly as far as lather is concerned. But it is great soap.

I also got a stick of La Toja that I used in tonight's shave, and it was surprisingly fantastic. I think the Route 66 will be my last soap purchase now for a while. I have enough that I like that I can stop experimenting and just enjoy for a while.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. Bama Samurai

A Journey Down Route 66
    10 January 2017

IMG_1224.JPG

Voskhod brings the sharpness that is top notch, but if you've been reading this thread for more than 5 minutes, you know this is true. The usual Route 66 awesomeness ensued. The Bourbon Jungle found its match with AV today, making a mental note that I liked that combo. Truthfully, Bourbon Jungle would match with most old school drugstore AS, which is cool because I love that stuff. Out on the prairie we had some 60+ mph gusts and mild fifties in the winter sun. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    :)

9. Bama Samurai

That's great about face lathering! Have you tried an actual straight?

10. SharptoothC

I have this guy that I found in a local antique store and bought on a whim for a song:
    [​IMG]
    It needs some cleanup and to be sent for a good honing. Then I need to invest in a strop, etc. I've been debating it but have put it off because I've been concerned about being able to keep it shave ready without a large investment. I have loved shavettes and think I would like the shaves with a straight. I suppose it's time to bite the bullet and see.

11. SharptoothC

It is a Boker Extra Hollow Ground, Solingen, I think early 20's.

12. Bama Samurai

Hard to know exactly by that photo, because though I can fly an SR like a jet, I don't work on them myself...that blade looks like it should hone up just fine. You want a straight spine, and little visible wear from honing.

Paddle strops are a compromise choice that saves bucks, and there is no need to learn to hone or buy stone if you just wanna shave. Honing is a different skill and activity. However, the pragmatist in me says if you're DFS+ from Shavettes, it will be automatic, and you will like it. There is some cost, and the maintenance routine is why I went Ronin and started using Shavettes most all the time. The open blade experience and performance is, for me, unmatched. I am totally Dark Side for life, even if non traditional.

13. Bama Samurai

Good steel

14. SharptoothC

That isn't the best pic. It makes it look worse than it is. I think it will clean up and hone ok. I really don't think I would have any trouble shaving with it as much as I enjoy shavettes. Shavettes are so darn convenient. I just know if I start that rabbit hole I am going to want to learn to hone for myself. I would send it off to start with though. It's not one I want to practice on and butcher.

15. Bama Samurai

My tip for that is at www.gemstarcustoms.com -- Glen ( @gssixgun ) is a TSD supporting vendor and did very nice work on my Ralf Aust. There are others here too, but I've used only Glen's service.

16. SharptoothC

I will check him out. Thanks! Referrals are always welcome, especially from this crew. Any referrals on strops?

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

@Drygulch would be a great choice there. He does excellent work.

18. Bama Samurai

I purchased a @Drygulch Leatherworks 45 series black leather/poly strop. Strops are not something I know much about, but I like the one I have very much, and considering it's occasional use it should last basically forever, if I oil it and care for the leather. Adam knows this stuff, can explain his wares better, and knowing him...he will even mention stuff he likes that isn't even his! His writings really helped me learn to SR shave, he was one of the first to blog the whole experience on this episodic thread. Knowledgeable and helpful guy, and 30 Day fixture.

19. Bama Samurai

This is Adam on Etsy:

Drygulch Leatherworks

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

January Shavette Focus

Brand X Cream & Omega Pro 98
    Weck Sextoblade/ fresh Personna
    Gillette Flare Tip/ fresh 7 O'clock
    Alum block & Pinaud Clubman AS

SOTD 01102017.gif
    Third time to run this Beta cream up the old shave flag pole. I tried a well broken in boar this iteration of testing. Same procedure of moistening the brush, but with a little longer soak. Shake out most of the water from bowl & brush, back end of a tea spoon to dip up some cream. It's a thirsty product that allows great control of hydration. After achieving and applying wetter is better lather I took my full N-to-S pass, more lather applied and W-to-E on cheeks & chin, S-to-N under jaw line. No blood from the muted corners of the fresh 57mm blade. Lathered again and applied the Flare Tip with Flair. First time using a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow - smooth and comfortable! Took an all over tour of my facial shaving area again with no blood. Rinse, quiet alum, DFS for the win. A heroic splash of my new favorite, cheaper than Canoe, but oh so Barbershop scented AS now decanted into a glass bottle. This Focus thing is working out.
    Good Shaves Y'all :)