January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I own several of Adams strops and I add my recommendation to contact him.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 11, 2017​
    Timeless OC .95 Gap with Windrose SS​
    Feather (2)​
    Rudy Vey R7 with Shavemac Finest​
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed​
    Witch Hazel​
    Floid Blue​
    [​IMG]

Another great near BBS 2 pass shave this morning. This brush is my softest badger and is pure luxury face lathering with Route 66. I finished off the shave with a splash of Floid Blue. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mashing it up might help to kick the scent up a notch if it has been sitting in that "ketchup cup" a while.

4. PickledNorthern

That is a fantastic brush, Mark. I like that you picked something a little different for Peter to build; one that didn't just scream WW. That makes it unique. Does it have the coin in the base, or is it a very early one?I always try to guess whose brush it is before I look at the description. I had a guess on that one, but I was wrong.

5. PickledNorthern

Great way to set up that photo. I can see the brush, but I can almost feel how soft it is from my living room.

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD January 11, 2017

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick J1 injector
    Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Lather: Route 66 Rum Runner
    WTG, touch-up

Very nice shave this morning. Route 66 continues to be great soap. The Omega boar didn't load up as much soap as I know it can so I'll need to experiment with it again tomorrow. The J1 was new to me as well. It's exceptionally smooth and easy to use. Great result today. I wish the same for everyone else!

Have a great day!

SOTD 1-11-17.JPG

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jared. I really hadn't thought of it that way until you pointed it out. At this point I'm still working on taking good photos. I do want to learn more about composition though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Another NEW Focus shave with the Feather Black blade. Today's shave was better than the last three. It was a true 2 passer. There was some touch up work needed in the neck area, but I think that was me rather than the blade. I was being extra careful. Finished off with Clubman AS. All this week I'm using Proraso Green shave cream from the tube. It's been underutilized in my Den lately. Have a great day y'all.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN January 10th
    [​IMG]

Gillette Red Tip
    Dorco Prime Platinum
    Italian Barber Amici Soap/AS
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Crown King Scuttle

Good Morning friends! A wonderfully marvelous shave last night with IB Amici, I absolutely love this spicy grapefruit scent. I decided to test the Dorco Prime blade and compare it to the Dorco ST-301 that I used last shave. It is definitely a touch sharper and smoother then the ST-301, but for the same price or a little more (or a little less) a better (IMO) Russian blade can be had. Have a great day everyone! If anyone here would like to give the Dorco Prime a shot I've got the hookup!

10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Still off focus today, as I have visitors this week at work and have to shave daily. No picture today. Beta testing a cream, and using the Schick injector. Good stuff. Face is clean but irritated from repeated daily shaves. Have to shave again tomorrow, then will give it a day off. For me, I don't enjoy shaving every morning, as my face gets plenty irritated. Next week should be back to every other day, and large straights. Going to use this cream until it is gone.

11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

January 11, 2017

Razor: F2 Gillette 195 Adjustable (3)
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: Kiss My Face fragrance free

First of all, a bit Thank You to all of you who suggested the KMF. As soon as I started lathering, I could tell this was going to be a winner. Nice and slick and I could definitely feel more cushion than with the Venus gel. I need to work on dialing in the lather, but still had a very nice DFS and the Alum was much quieter this morning.

No feedback as yet from my bride, though, so that jury is still out.

12. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

1/11
    Continuing my focus on hard to lather soaps.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Today I changed up the brush. I am using a Parker finest badger. It is a smaller brush with a decently stiff backbone. I let it soak while I showered and then gave it 3 good shakes & squeezed out the water. I loaded the brush until it could hold no more soap and then dipped the tips under water and loaded some more. It still didn't seem to have enough soap, so I dipped the tips again under water and loaded it a 3rd time. I then moved to the bowl and made I over flowing bowl full of lather. It was still a little thin for my taste, but much better than I was getting with the big boar Omega 10098. It seems that the boar was holding soap in the inside of the brush that was never getting made into lather. I'm just about there with this badger I think that maybe if I had stopped after loading it twice without wetting it a 3rd time it may have been just right.

13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I started a thread a little over a year ago on Mitchell's Wool Fat with specific interest in how to lather it. You might find some interesting tips and ideas. Click HERE.

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree. I'm traveling with one of Adam's stops. I like it a lot.

15. mrchick

Travel SOTD
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed
    Badger Brush
    Sensation Razor
    PAA Déjà Fougère AS
    Have fun![​IMG]

16. shadowfeind

shadowfeind Active Member

Eight shaves with this setup:
    Merkur 34c razor
    Astra sp blade
    Proraso sandalwood shaving cream
    Lather and wood aftershave balm
    Badger hair brush El cheapo
    Alum
    I am just having the best shaves of my life. Proraso sandalwood scent is so spot on and the lather is so slick and creamy. The astra blades just glides over the stubble providing a close BBS shave. I do 3 passes WTG, XTG and ATG. I have a nick free irritation free shave. Although I have noticed a slight overall burn 2 hours after shave. I kind a like the feeling, makes you feel masculine. Maybe this is what people call the proraso burn?
    Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm glad the KMF unscented is working for you. It's a winner for me also.

Bama Samurai, Norcalnewb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nice Dopp kit.:happy088:

19. mrchick

Thank you!

20. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Right now I have to be at work at 5:30 am. to train for a job that won't start until 2:00 pm. I'm going to hate this month of training. I like going to bed at 11pm or later.