derby shave cream, good, average or poor?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by sky pilot 83, Jan 11, 2017.

1. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

So i found a really great deal. For 23.10 bucks i can buy a dozen tubes of derby shave cream. I've never used a cream before. I'm leaning toward the lavender or menthol. I see these usually selling for 4-5 bucks a tube so i know it's a great deal but I'm wondering about the cream itself.

Is it a decent performer? What's it like compared to vdh deluxe or luxury soap, or proraso? I do have sensitive skin and saw another member saying it left his face raw. I also saw Paul H from utube using the lemon scented and loving it. So I'm just wondering if i should invest in a dozen tubes of lavender or not?

I do have semi sensitive skin but of course i won't know of any reactions till i get it.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Demidog, Robyflexx and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I've heard great things about derby. I personally never tried it. It's on my wish list of brands to try. And if your asking for votes in which scent to buy, I'd buy menthol. If you don't like it, it may be easier to sell vs lavender.

Demidog and sky pilot 83 like this.
  3. sky pilot 83

Good point on menthol being easier to resell... However I do like lavender lol. When i order it, if i don't like it i may offer some up for trade, and give away some to some gal pals, or use it for starter kits I'll give away.

Demidog, Robyflexx and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I wish you luck sir! And welcome to the den. !

Demidog, sky pilot 83 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

From my perspective, it's a great bargain cream. I have so many creams and soaps that none get used often but I have no plans to ever be without a tube of Lemon and a tube of Lavender. It's not the world's greatest but the price/performance ratio makes it a winner in my book.

I also like Derby shave soap. Another great bargain and it smells like Arko (if you think that's a good thing)

Demidog, Jorvaljr and crackstar like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I was given a tube of Derby Menthol and a Lavender. I used them both just once and gave them away. The Menthol didn't seem to have any cooling sensation and the Lavender, to me anyway was very meh. :(

Demidog and Robyflexx like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've used Derby lemon shave cream in the past, but just one time. I came away with a favorable impression. It was easy to lather (as a cream should be), slick, and protective. I think @John Beeman nails it when he says it's a great bargain cream.

Demidog likes this.
  8. sky pilot 83

I really lay aside price until I've found out if they're a good performer. If it's not a good performer i wouldn't pay a nickel but if it is a good performer then i evaluate based on price.

But, what you're saying is that i should snag these up (price is about 2 bucks a tube which os dirt cheap IMHO) because they're a good performer?

PLAla likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've only used the Derby soap in the tub and it performs, but at that price, why not. Also, if you haven't got any soaps yet, use them in the shave sets you want to make.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've only shaved with it one time, so maybe my opinion isn't too valid! But if you're interested then I would say go ahead. That amount of cream would last you forever!

11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I think it's a good performer and the price per oz/g makes it a great value.
    You can pay around 20 bucks for a tube of D R Harris, Musgo, or Truefitt & Hill. You can pay around 10 bucks for a tube of Taylor of Old Bond Street.
    Do they perform better than Derby? Yes.
    5 to 10 times better? Maybe not. Probably not.

Jorvaljr and sky pilot 83 like this.
  12. crackstar

Granted, it's cheap but so is Arko. At that price point I'd pass on the Derby for the future.

13. sky pilot 83

What was it that was meh, to you about the lavender?

14. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Derby cream is a decent cheap cream, the Menthol one is a bit light on the cooling, but you may just want to pick up a tube to make sure you like it before buying bulk.

A few other good budget creams to check out are:

Godrej creams
    Kiss My Face (can sometimes be found locally)
    Arko creams

John Beeman and sky pilot 83 like this.
  15. sky pilot 83

Lol i just made a deal and I'm gettin a hundred derby extra blades, a hundred Gillette silver blue blades, and a case (12 sticks) of the arko shave stick.

Thanks for the help y'all. I appreciate it. I just hope i got a good deal. 17.00 for the GSB blades, 15.00 for the arko, and got a hundred derby extra blades for 5.00.
    Bought em from a good friend of mine i got hooked on wet shaving and, get this, ordered tons of shaving supplies yesterday but no razor! So now he has the money to get himself a merkur futur. All in all I'm saving about 3.30 than what it'd cost on amazon. Or about 30 cents from the bay

U gotta admit though, it's funny how this all worked out... I just handed him the money and he'll have it brought to me when it arrives.

Demidog and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  16. crackstar

Everything except the lather. The scent and the skincare were nothing to me. I'm not saying that the Derby creams are bad but to me, the Arko creams are a lot better.

17. sky pilot 83

Well I'll be getting some arko sticks next weekend as soon as they're delivered to his door and I'll start using them.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The ARKO sticks and creams are completely different experiences.

19. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I thought that this review was pretty good. Just make sure that you don't confuse Derby with Derbylux.

20. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

i find derby tubed cream amazing! !!!!!! tons of thick creamy lather. lemon, lavender
    ....its all great