Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Paul's Morning Smoke in my Savinelli Sun Set series (hand made stamped) 315
    [​IMG]
    Coffee on the side..

Lo'Gosh, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

IMG_1048.JPG

Opened a pouch of John Bull that I got in a European sampler from P&C. It reminds me a lot of Hearth & Home Chestnut. I'll have to do a head-to-head comparison sometime.

Lo'Gosh, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  3. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have some pipes that do not take filters and I use them sometimes. I get a drier smoke out of my filter pipes. I get better results from my non filtered pipes on very hot days. My guess is that the temperature difference lets condensate build up faster. I smoke mostly in the warmer months with most of my smoking time being in the spring and in the fall tapering a bit in the really hot months of summer and nearly disappearing in the winter. So I start out with my filter pipes and ease into my non filtered pipes as it gets warmer then I ease back away from them when it starts cooling off again. Rare winter smokes are in cobs so I don't take the chance of cracked pipes from the temperature difference.

A ruined cob is a $4 mistake. Even my cheap Briars are 400% more than that.

RyX, Erik Redd and BamaT like this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1356.JPG
    H&H Virginia Spice in my Novak.

Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  5. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

That's the first I have heard of pipes cracking due to taking them out cold weather. Other than your own experience do you have a source or link explaining how this may occur?
    Not trying to be obtrusive it's just after a couple years smoking a pipe and knowing many pipe smokers as well as pipe smoking forums I have yet to read or hear anyone say that smoking in cold weather can crack a pipe while smoking it in cold temps. Leaving it a vehicle I have read can mess with the tenon and shank area but never cracking a bowl due to extreme temp changes.

Bama Samurai, RyX and Erik Redd like this.
  6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Nice. Those McClelland tobaccos are terrific, especially the Virginas. Great pipe -- Silver-dot Costello.

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. Erik Redd

IMG_1049.JPG

I sold several of the pipes I accumulated last year to smokingpipes.com, and had a sizeable store credit as a result. I ordered this estate Castello which arrived today so I had to smoke it of course. It's an excellent smoking pipe.

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1361.JPG
    Chatham Manor in a Neerup bent; the garage clean up continues. This mess was years in the making, and won't be fixed any time soon. But I am working on it, with the help of my son, home from an 8 month assignment in Florida.

Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS, dbersh and 4 others like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I whole heartedly concur! My current favorites are Blackwoods Flake and No. 27, both broken flakes. I have a couple of unopened tins of the vaunted Dark Star, and look forward to them. When I was more into Latakia blends, I very much enjoyed Frog Morton and FG On The Town. In my opinion, the vinegar/ketchup smell doesn't carry over to the bowl or smoke.

Edit: the vinegar smell also dissipates to some degree after a tin is opened. Or, am I just getting used to it?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  10. DesertTime

The scent does diminish over time; but I never found it offensive anyway.
    Those are some of my favorite McClelland tobaccos. Some of their bulk tobaccos are also quite good. After many years of smoking English and Virginia blends, I just started smoking quality aromatics. Right now I buy McClelland's bulk "Creme and Caramel," (yeah, i know -- I sold out). It's actually very good.

One of my all time favorites is their "Grand Orientals: Classic Samsun.:"

BamaT, RyX and Erik Redd like this.
  11. Erik Redd

I need to do the same with my garage. Unfortunately any time SWMBO has something she wants out of the house, it goes in the garage.

BamaT and RyX like this.
  12. Erik Redd

I love the looks of that Novak.

BamaT likes this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Ha! Same thing at my house! And probably most others. :)

Erik Redd and trey06dmd like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1363.JPG

PS Navy Flake in Chacom Canadian.

Bama Samurai, Lo'Gosh, RyX and 5 others like this.
  15. Erik Redd

Yes, I see the PAM and spices in the background that's an obvious overflow from the pantry. I've got a detached garage, so it's not quite that convenient.

BamaT likes this.
  16. DesertTime

Nice pipe. Castello and Ser Jacapo are my two favorite pipe makers. Enjoy!

BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Picked up a Schowa. I'm suffering from lack of broadband so I haven't got the details about when or where, but it appears vintage & little used. Huge filter chamber, 9mm? Tight fitting tenon and the bowl is very clean. No chatter on the bit.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Also saw a Grabow that looks Falcon-ish. I wonder if the bowls are interchangeable?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

18. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

My understanding the bowls are not interchangeable.

Erik Redd and RyX like this.
  19. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Hey everybody! Haven't been able to smoke for a while because I've been wicked sick. But I am now feeling better and back at it! Broke out a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke and a tin of OGS to have a nice smoke with a hot cup of hazelnut cappucino. Ahhhhhhh; I missed this. =)

AGHisBBS, RyX, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

When I first looked at these pipes, I wasn't sure I liked them. But the more I looked, the more I was drawn to them. I especially like the small rustication on one side, and that little ledge is surprisingly comfortable to hold. I have found a small line of putty fill on the bottom, but that hasn't diminished my liking of it. It is an incredibly cool smoking pipe, and is dedicated to 3 blends, H&H Virginia Spice, H&H A. J.'s Vaper, and Louisiana Red. They're all very similar Vapers, with pretty subtle differences, at least to my tastes.

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and trey06dmd like this.