Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to the little pipe thread! I am in to VA, Virginia an Virginia flake. We I need a little variety I will smoke Virginia, unless I am smoking Virginia flake, or maybe sometimes some aged Burley. But, normally Virginia. ;)

Speaking of McClelland, I was at Humidor in Huntsville Alabama, and found a tin of 2015 holiday spirit in their inventory for list price. Of course I did! Finding aged tins is such a treat.

And fwiw ...friends don't let friends smoke aromatics...but we're a pretty open and forgiving bunch! Thanks for hanging out with us.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. Bama Samurai

Cool finds! I don't know the answer to your question about Grabow, but the other is definitely a 9mm filter pipe. Nice work.

trey06dmd likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

It really depends on the tobacco in my case. Some leaf is better with a filter. There! I wrote it.

dbersh, RyX and trey06dmd like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

It's nuts isn't it? I love pebblecut, nice smooth VA. How was it for you?

BamaT, Erik Redd, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I like it and find it a bit peppery. I'm having a bit of trouble preparing it and packing it so that it burns well without a lot of relights. It's a coarser, denser flake than I've had before and rubs out pretty coarse. If I pack the bowl loosely it doesn't burn well and the combination of relights and tamping results in it being packed a bit tight.
    IMG_1053.JPG

AGHisBBS, Bobcat, Lo'Gosh and 2 others like this.
  6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

You're not a GOOPER smoker are you? :duel::rofl:

Erik Redd and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Never. Orlik Golden Mixture is about as far as I go with the aromatics.

dbersh and Erik Redd like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

I find that extended drying is the key.

Erik Redd likes this.
  9. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Finally have a chance to have initial bowl of my one of a kind, hand made by Dan Spaniola Cayuga with deer antler. Of course the only blend worthy of the initial smoke is Arrowhead.
    [​IMG]

RyX, AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and 2 others like this.
  10. Erik Redd

11. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Having some Samuel Gawith Navy Flake in a Dr. Grabow Royal Duke with a hot cup of hazelnut cappuccino. Have to say, that while I am not a big fan of Lakeland flake; I do enjoy this pipe tobacco. Also find it much better than the 1792 flake.

trey06dmd, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. Erik Redd

Lakeland flake? Did you mean Latakia flake? I haven't tried either the Navy Flake or the 1792 yet.

13. Erik Redd

After dinner I opened a tin of McClelland Balkan Beauty and had a bowl in the same pipe. A very easy smoking blend.

14. Lo'Gosh

Nope, Lakeland flake. Although the Navy Flake does have Latakia in it, so I suppose it's both. A Samuel Gawith flake tobaccos are what is known as a Lakeland flake; having originated in the "Lakeland Region". It's a.......heavier, thicker flake is how I'd put it. It takes more to prepare and can be a pain to smoke; hence my lack of love for it, lol. Most other flakes; like OGS, are a Danish flake I believe. This is a thinner, more easily folded or rubbed out flake; quicker and much easier to prepare and it takes an ember much easier. I'm certain @Bama Samurai or @BamaT could explain the differences better than I; as I know they have more experience than I do with flake tobacco.

trey06dmd, BamaT, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Lakeland is a style of prep from England. It's primarily Virginia used, but tobacco cultivar type varies. Gawith is the ultimate example, also showing the characteristics of the typical Lakeland top dressing that includes Tonka bean and vanilla.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    trey06dmd, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  16. Erik Redd

Interesting, I thought a Lakeland had to have the "Lakeland essence", but now know it is produced in the Lakes District and it appears Samuel Gawith and Gawith &Hoggarth are the only mfrs that qualify, so Erinmore Flake is not a Lakeland.

17. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Finally a chance to have my first bowl of my new Baki Author. What a combination. And will say Baki pipes are worth the cost what a fantastic smoker!
    [​IMG]

trey06dmd, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Erinmore is made in Denmark. OGS is an example of "Danish Flake", thin rectangles, easily rubbed out. Danish Flake isn't limited to any blend, it's a cut in my mind.

trey06dmd, BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  19. Lo'Gosh

From the reading I've done; yes, to truly be a Lakeland, the tobacco must come from the Lakelands region and and is of a heavier cut flake. It does not need to have a Lakeland essence; although such essences are also considered as somewhat unique to the Lakeland region (at least as far as origination). So, Erinmore is a Danish flake with possible a Lakeland essence. Although I don't believe Erinmore even has a Lakeland essence. I've never tried Erinmore; but it has a casing of fruit notes, making it an aromatic. A Lakeland essence is a perfumed, flowery type of note (you really can't comprehend it I'm told unless you have actually smoked it); and does not classify as an aromatic. Samuel Gawith Westmorland Mixture and Grousemoor are good tobacco's to try if you wish to try a Lakeland essence. Keep in mind; Lakeland essence tobaccos are like Arko shave soap. People either swear by them, or at them (quite creatively in my opinion, lol).

20. Lo'Gosh

As a side note, I have also not tried any tobaccos with a Lakeland essence. However Westmorland and Grousemoor are on my list to try. Grousemoor is actually on my current top 3 to try list (Cabbies Mixture and Squadron Leader are the other two). So hopefully soon I can write an actual review of a Lakeland essence tobacco. =)

trey06dmd and Erik Redd like this.