Gillette Tech needs aggression!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Sep 5, 2008.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have a fat handle gold Gillette Tech razor that I think is the coolest looking razor out there. It is smooth, nick free and great. But I can't get a smooth shave out of it. Not matter which blade I put in, it's still rough and stubbly. I've tried Crystals, Derby's, Personna's, Dorco's (hate them), 7 O'clocks, Wilkinsons, etc.

Is there an easy way to increase the aggressiveness of this little peach of a razor or do I need to just get something else and gaze longingly at this one??

I like 3 piece razors, not sure why, just do. Are there other 3 piece units out there that handle as well as the Tech and are a little more aggressive?? Don't need much more, just a little

Thanks in advance and enjoy your shave.

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Perhaps a shim placed in the center of the blade to increase the edge exposure?

Not sure. Rodd would know. He likes shims.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I just dont bother with them. I think most TTOs look cooler and most are more aggressive than a tech. I cant get a decent shave from techs.

4. Hi poppi,
    You know, there's one thing that might actually help, and that would be trying a feather blade. I think you may be surprised at how different they are from other blades you've used. These are sharper than all the ones you listed, and the grind is different as well. They might be the solution, and it's worth a shot. I know some members use those blades in their Weishi(very mild DE) with great results.
    Pm me if you like, and I'll send out a few to try, along with a couple Iridium Supers (also a sharp blade).
    Martin

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Techs are the smoothest shavers! I doubt you could ever go wrong with a Tech, even if it's loaded with a Feather!

I just love the security of a Tech sometimes! And as I have stated elsewhere, I don't bother too much about getting a BBS, it's the quality of the experience that counts, and BBS is a very small part of it, as always YMMV

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I was going to suggest the exact same thing. And ditto on the Iridiums. Martin kindly sent me a small sampler pack several months ago and those and the feather were definitely my favorites in the Tech I was using at the time.

BTW, once again thank you very much for that kind gesture, Martin! :thanks

7. Damon

Damon Member

Take a pair of scissors and carefully cut off 2mm of the blade portion on each side of a DE then place on bottom of your new blade and install. Just an idea to push the razors edge up.

8. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Poppi,

Please, please take the advice of Martin and Guido and try sharper blades. Of the ones you mentioned the Derby blades are the sharpest but not quite sharp enough for a Tech. I have used the Feathers (only once as they are too sharp for me) I have settled on Iridium Super Extra Stainless, Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge, Polsilver Stainless, and today a Treet Classic DuraSharp blades, all available from Giovanni at Tryphon.

Don't give up on the Tech because it is the best razor out there except for the Gillette NEW razors. If you are interested in open comb shaving that is the one razor to start with.

9. tom myers

tom myers Member

Poppi, the Possom alluded to what I feel is the best answer to your question about a more aggressive three piece razor . . . that is, try a "New Gillette". Don't let the open comb design put you off. The "New" is a more aggressive razor than the "Tech" but it shaves very similarly, and, with a few shaves, you may grow just as fond of it as your Tech.

The Tech is a fine design and I enjoyed using one, but when I started to seek a closer, BBS shave, I had to lay it aside. My three favorite DE razors are the "New", the Red Tip Superspeed and the Slant Bar.

With all the above said, I now am using some of the older single edge Gems and enjoying the best shaves yet.

Keep experimenting with different models. It keeps it interesting and fun to get up and shave in the morning. Everyone has different favorites.

Regards,
    Tom

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Actually, I have a "New" razor. Long story how I got it but it looks kinda scary and I haven't used it yet.

Does it need a "sharp" blade also or willl something like a Crystal, Derby, Personna work well??

Inquiring minds want to know

Thanks in advance

11. MaxP

MaxP Member

+1. Feathers do it nicely for me in my Tech!

12. tom myers

tom myers Member

I almost hate to answer a question relating to which blades to use . . . the "best" blade seems to vary so much between different folks; but since you asked, my favorite blade, of the ones I've tried, for use in the "New" is the IP or the Crystal.

Regards,
    Tom

13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Hmm, got the razor, got the blades. Now just need the gumption to try it out. Maybe this next week.

14. MaxP

MaxP Member

Poppi-

An unhurried morning, with great music in the background, using a quality shave cream...

There's no better recipe to try the "NEW". It's by far my daily favorite razor.

Enjoy

15. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Y'all covered this one pretty well. The only blades I ever used successfully in my ball-end gold Tech were Feathers and Gillette European blades.

16. Hi again,
    Man..........that's popular model razor, as obvious from all the helpful posts. Pretty good group isn't it?
    In all seriousness, I don't think you have anything to be afraid of with those feathers. I'm sure your technique must be good by now, and that previous experience with other blades is gonna come in handy as well. No idea if the feather's right for your face, but I'm confident you won't suffer any major mishaps ( probably no minor ones either......heh.).
    The thing about those blades is they cut easier for me........even less pressure than usual (like zero) does the trick in my fatboy. Luckily, they also suit my face, which is always a crapshoot with any blade.
    If they don't work for you, it's possible the Iridium might.
    Anyway, I'll be interested in what you think, especially after 4-5 shaves.
    Martin

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Tom,

Nice to see another guy who likes the Gillette NEW and open comb razors. I use the open combs almost exclusively. Do use a 48 SuperSpeed and serveral other straight bar TTOs but I love my open combs the best.

Have just recently gotten into the GEM SE razor thing, thanks to D.Irving79. Now own 9 GEMs. Love the way the shave for a change. Three of them are lather catcher types that I really like. What type GEMs are you using?

And another thing about the GEMs, what SE blades are you using. I have only found one that works although Dave has sent me a couple others to try.

18. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Nobody else has suggested this, so I will:

Feather makes a tech clone that's more aggressive than a tech. Problem is it's a travel razor, so it has a very short handle. I hear that Feather copied the tech so faithfully that you can swap parts between the two. You might be able to put the Feather clone on the tech handle and get the results you're looking for.

I have one of the Feather travel razors in the event you want to try this. I don't use it because of the handle length, so I will send it free. PM if interested.

19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Tried the tech with a Super Iridium blade today. My My, what a difference! 2 passes gave a darn fine shave with no irritation or nicks. Smooth fantastic blade and made for a super shave. That blade gave the tech some teeth. Next up, a Feather blade

20. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Ive got a nickel that says you will love the Tech + Feather combo

Rule(s) of Thumb:
    Mild razor + Aggressive Blade = Good shaves
    Aggressive razor + Mild(er) blade = Good Shaves
    Aggressive razor + Aggressive blade = Blood letting