Blue collar shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tuxxdk, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

+1 on Speick stick if you're going tonuse a brush, in which case Whipped Dog makes a mean synthetic! Otherwise I would not overlook a brushless gel. There are pretty darn good product out there.

Spyder and Demidog like this.
  2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Small world. My wife just returned from a business trip yesterday and brought home the same bowl (different color). It is collapsable.

Collapsable Bowl.jpg

Spyder, AGHisBBS, Demidog and 3 others like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I can see where posing as a blue collar worker would be very useful for an international penguin of mystery.

Spyder, AGHisBBS, tuxxdk and 3 others like this.
  4. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

I actually do a travel kit on weekends when i go visit my mom, sister, and nephew at my mom's house. I have a little bag that came from adidas with shower gel, edt, and body spray. It has ample room for wet shaving needs. In my kit i take a few different items.

1 safety razor (i keep it and a tuck of assorted blades) in a hard eyeglass case that came with my eyeglasses a couple years ago with my eyeglasses from wally world.

1 stick of arko, or 1 puck of soap in a tin i got from dollar tree that has a magnet on the bottom (i melt a glycerin based soap in the oven at 200 degrees F checking every 3-5 minutes till it starts melting then every 1-2 minutes till melted, then stick it in the fridge for 1-3 hrs to solidify then put the top on it and stick it to the under side of my medicine cabinet. The nice thing is that after i use it, i can leave the lid off and stick it upside down on anything steel or tin it'll stick to to dry).

For a brush i use an Omega S10065 (my favorite of the 2) or my Omega S10019.

2 small containers, one with witch hazel, and one with after shave.

1 styptic pencil

Then the normal tooth brush/paste etc. And still have room left over for other stuff. I'll take a pic if you want.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

:D
    I have two of those bowls, and they are fantastic. One stays in my dopp, and one in my bathroom. The texture is just the littlest bit rough, and they mix up lather like a champ. I cannot think of a better travel bowl. :D

Spyder, tuxxdk and twhite like this.
  6. sky pilot 83

Don't they sell those in sporting goods at Walmart? I'm gonna have to look...

Spyder and tuxxdk like this.
  7. sky pilot 83

Yup. In pet department they got em for like 4 something. I'll be getting one lol. I prefer bowl lathering.

Spyder, tuxxdk and RyX like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Oh, behave!

Spyder, richgem, tuxxdk and 2 others like this.
  9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

My wife actually picked one up this week at a cat show. Yes a cat show. She is an international cat show judge and travels all over the world. They pay her a salary plus all travel, food, and lodging expenses. They are used as food and water bowls for the animals.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No one in the USA knows what cm is!

That bowl is a perfect solution.

Spyder and twhite like this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

2.54 cm to the in But then I lived overseas for many years and the military uses meters rather than yards.

Spyder likes this.
  12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

What I did while in the service was use tube cream and smear it on my face and work it with a wet brush. Worked great. I didn't want to use a ceramic bowl (Old Spice) in the communal sink area.

Spyder and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Wow, this has turned into quite a nice discussion. Appreciated :)

I love the Speick stick, but it's quite expensive to get here online and I haven't been able to find it locally when in Germany. I have the cream though... easy to find and very inexpensive.

But now creams have been mentioned, I have a few I could bring to work, but I don't know how to face lather using a cream. I'll have to investigate that, because that would also be an option.

No one in the rest of the world knows what an inch is.. lol.. just kidding.

Looks to be a nice solution. Cheap at least, maybe even inexpensive.

Hmm it may even turn out I need more of them! I have a metal bowl for travel, but perhaps this one will be nicer. Great :D

I have a Whipped from when he used Ubers. I'm not sure it's the same now? Nevertheless, it's an awesome synthetic! This, and the Plissoft I have, is 2 of my most favourite brushes. I'm really not a fan of brushless gels, and the only one sold locally around where I live is the blue Gillette Fusion.

Spyder and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. tuxxdk

Impossible.. lol :D

Spyder likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

Just sold my Super Speed - didn't get a long. But the Weishi works wonders - I have no idea why though, as they seem very alike.

Spyder likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I would add De blades that come in plastic box so you just but the used blade in the back, Feather and Derby are the ones I can think off the top of my head. I use Feathers when I travel so I don't have to worry about the maid cutting herself on my used blade.

I alternate between a synthetic and a cheap horse brush for travel.

Spyder, PickledNorthern and tuxxdk like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

There is probably a good line in here, but I just woke up an' the ol' 1 ea. Mk. 1 brain pan is not yet firing fully.

Spyder and Col C like this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I don't know what colour my collar is...but I can suggest a basic kit that I use when travelling that sounds like it might meet your basic needs for an "at work" shave. I am a big fan of Nivea Original shave cream when I travel. It lathers well, has a nice scent and it is inexpensive. I also bring along a basic Omega boar brush (very durable) and I use a Gillette Tech (Fat Handle) and a tuck of Astra SP blades. I splash water on my face, run the brush under some warm water, I put about an inch of Nivea shave cream on the end of the brush and then face lather. Simple, easy and great shaves all around. Fits neatly in a small Dopp bag

Spyder, tuxxdk and DesertTime like this.
  19. tuxxdk

First shave at work done tonight!

Proraso brushless gel with the Weishi loaded with a Voskhod blade. 2 passes WTG/semi-ATG. Very smooth shave with zero irritation.

Success. I'll use up this gel, and possibly another tube or 3 of another brushless cream and then I'll "upgrade" to using a brush and real soap/cream there.

This. I gotta try. Although the Palmolive cream I have isn't a top performer (I'm very picky....) it is better than the brushless thingie I have.

Spyder likes this.
  20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Dude, just smear the shavingcream on your face and start facelathering =P

Spyder likes this.