On the quest for the best Aftershave in the world!!!

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by The Wet Shaver Scholar, Feb 1, 2017.

1. It wasn't until last week when I have discovered the true hidden luxury of aftershave.

It makes the face feel refreshed and projects nice scent for others to enjoy. What a delight it is to use aftershave!!

How come other men pass on the aftershave; it one of the best aspects of wet shaving.

The scents I am most interested in are:
    Bay Rum scents
    Oud wood scents
    Vanilla scents
    Rose scents
    and lime scents

Please give me recommendations and also details about the aftershave. So in June we can publicly announce the top 3 aftershaves in the world.

Thank you for your time and know we will help others discover the true luxury of using an aftershave.
    So the can stop using a water rinse off like the cavemen did back hundreds of years ago.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Welcome to the den

3. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

The aftershave splash is the best part of the shave, which is why I have over 100 full bottles. I like: Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails bay rum, PAA Sangre de Drago oud, Derby City Chop Shop (which exudes vanilla) and Beaver Woodright (Black Ship) Ghost Ship lime (although they claim it's grapefruit). I haven't found a rose scent I like yet.

gorgo2 and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not in your scents list, but since you asked about the best aftershave in the world; you want Alt-Innsbruck aftershave.

wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    +1 for Derby City Chop Shop's Small Batch Shave Tonic Winter Reserve. It's the best bay rum I've found, and I've tried quite a few. I'm currently working on my second bottle of it. 7.5 oz, so quite a bit more product than your average 4.5oz bottle of grocery store aftershave.

The vanilla scent in it comes from the Kentucky Bourbon used as the base alcohol.

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Wow! There are a lot of options here!

Some of the most highly regarded aftershaves are fine accoutrements, floid, musgo real, pinaud, florida water, Truefitt and Hill, Taylor of Old Bond Street, alt-innsbruck, lucky tiger, proraso, penhaligons, and 4711. I tend to really prefer floid, fine, lucky tiger, pinaud, and musgo real.

I believe Pinaud offers the best valued aftershave available, hands down. Stirling soap is also an excellent price vs quality product.

There are also some great artisans that make incredible aftershaves such as Dr. Jon's, gingers garden, Stirling soap, mickey Lee soap works, and Barrister and Mann.

This can be a real rabbit hole, lol. I have never counted, but I'm sure I have at least 50 aftershaves.

If I were you, I would start by looking into pinaud and Stirling soap aftershaves and move from there.

If you find a great rose aftershave, let me know.

dscaver and gorgo2 like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you are budget minded check thrift stores and flea markets for Vintage Avon. Several Ladies Beauty Supply stores near me carry much of the Pinaud line. That's not even scratching the surface of the Wheel O' Scents.
    scent wheel.png

8. Straight razor dandy

I also like Avon scents. They tend to be strong, cheap, but straight forward with little to no complexity. I like their leather scent. I have a huge container of it that I paid a "whopping" $1.50 for.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Very well done, Rick :)

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome to The Den.

Who is we? Is this for a blog or article or something?

gorgo2, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Who said people don't use aftershaves? Did I miss the memo. I have enough aftershaves to last 5 lifetimes.

PickledNorthern, RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:

PickledNorthern and gorgo2 like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I had much the same thought. Our new 19 year old friend "The Wet Shaver Scholar" is so far a One Post Wonder. He's posted once and I wonder if he'll engage in conversation, discussion, interaction. Data mining can be achieved through careful choice of search terms and Google. Balls in his court.
    throat punch thursday.jpg

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You'll never find it.

RyX and Straight razor dandy like this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

^this.

That's why I gave him a great starting list. I could easily name 20 awesome aftershave companies.

RyX likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What is so special about June?

...And despite all of the fantastic aftershaves being listed, #1 on your list is going to be the humble Witch Hazel. More wet shavers use it than any other single product. I use it in addition to a nicely scented aftershave, but applying witch hazel is the first step in my post shave routine.

Many of the gentlemen posting long lists of aftershaves are probably going to agree with me, and admit to doing the same. :)

ob1page, Arun, MObigfoot and 5 others like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

I will agree that witch hazel is quite popular, but a lot of aftershaves already have it in there.

What do you get from doing an extra step of applying witch hazel? I'm not trying to be contrary...I would really like to know.

PLANofMAN and RyX like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

More than willing to be chatty about the topic no matter what the reason, but it's kind of just a bit classier to be up front about why you are asking.

Kind of sends up a red flag when a guy just discovers aftershaves a week ago, but is already prepared to report, review, write about them etc.....

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  20. I was very up front- Let me restate the question for you.

What is the best aftershave in the world?

Is that better for you?

No red flags here, only want your input.