What is your most unforgiving razor...?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Primotenore, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Let's face it, any razor can cut you if you are careless. Most of us have honed our skills and can enjoy a nick/irritation-free shave. However, there is probably one razor (DE/SE/Straight) in your den, that DEMANDS a flawless technique, lest it bite you in the...face ;). Mine is the Mühle R41 (2013). If there was ever a razor that is just waiting for an opportunity to strike, it's this one. You may ask why I keep it in my den? The answer is that it keeps me honest. What's your most unforgiving razor and do you do anything special to prepare for its usage? :signs002:

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

DE based shavettes are more difficult than any other razor style, bar none. The margin for error is small with regard to angle and pressure. No special prep, just do it!

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

This French Le Coq:
    0021aaa3adf6544fea630e664af0f6c4.jpg

If you are anything but on the cap you are exfoliating 3 layers of skin. Makes my Old Type seem like a kitten.

Terry, Hodge, Douglas Carey and 5 others like this.
  4. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Parker R22. I've had several lousy cuts from this tiger.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

DE - Gillette Old Type
    SE - Schick Injector E (or is it a G? can never remember)
    Str8 - Boker Red Injun

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Weck Sextonblade VS Bantam.gif
    Weck with a 57mm long Personna blade.
    I've muted the heel & toe of fresh steel for less stabby shaves.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'd say for me, it would be either one of my Gillette Old Types, Gem Micromatic OC and Schick E, especially when rushing on a shave.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Hoffritz Slant. Long gone.

The most hazardous razor still in my collection is probably my first generation shake sharp. It's given me a weeper a time or two.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Different strokes for different folks. My Hoffritz slant is a pussycat. :)

11. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

SE - GEM OCMM 1x chrome versions in case (U.S.) Can be controlled but a learned process not intuitive like a Tech.
    DE - Merkur 37c slant (Grm) Until I got use to it. Now it's my "final blade run" razor. It's able to give me another decent shave on a (fourth or fifth shave) of a used blade.
    I don't have any straights but do own a shavette that will easily nic and cut if not adhered to.

12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Muhle R41. Its a great razor that gives me close shaves and allows me to go 3 days between shaving. It does keep my honest, however and I always seem to nick myself once or twice with it.

13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

DE - Fendrihan Scientist. Has a hybrid open comb / safety bar head but I find both sides equally harsh and aggressive. I find the Schick E/G injector a total pussycat by comparison.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Any unmuted spike tip straight razor. Shavettes with the AC type blades. Both of these will punish a moment of inattention with a stab or a slice. Of the two, the AC type shavette is less forgiving. Because the blade doesn't flex, it will shear through several layers of skin, moles, skin tags, or scar tissue. Both will give fantastic shaves, I just really have to be in the zone. I honestly do a slight muting of most of my straights, slight enough that a honing will bring back the spike. A little muting will make it less likely to slice me.

15. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I've only shaved with my Gem a few times, but I pay attention like it's a straight. It feels like the potential is there for a nice nick.

16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Oh it can very easily.

Douglas Carey and Primotenore like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My most unforgiving razor is definitely my Feather Professional Artist Club razor. With good technique, however, it rewards me with fantastic shaves!

Douglas Carey, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Every-Ready 1914

er14_01.jpg

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I never cut myself with it, but it was very tuggy when I used it. The most uncomfortable shave I've ever had with a razor. After reconsidering, it probably doesn't belong in this list.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I was tempted to go with the 2011 Mühle R41 as it is one unforgiving DE razor, but since I rarely use a DE anymore, I'll have to go with this lefty Kanenaga kamisori.
    Scary-sharp edge with dangerous toe and heel points. If you're "off your game" at all, you'll pay the price in rivelets of blood. Full attention required.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Hodge, Keithmax, Sparrow and 7 others like this.