On the quest for the best Aftershave in the world!!!

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by The Wet Shaver Scholar, Feb 1, 2017.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have no idea. Never smelled Baby Blue. Just going off what RazoRock and reviewers have said.

Edit: B&M reserve cool I have smelled. It smells just like Floid Blue, except the baby powdery/yeasty scent has been toned down. After doing a search for reviews, it appears that was a deliberate choice, because in the creator's words: "To be honest, Cool is the only one that's not an exact duplicate of the original; I've always felt that Flöid Blue is a little dated even for my tastes, so I had the lab clean it up and remove the weird bread-like [yeasty] quality that shows up as it dries down. It's much less heavy now, but more versatile, in its way.
    Yeasty. The combo of labdanum and ionone makes the base of the fragrance smell odd to my nose. It's always seemed to catch in my throat a bit, so I decided to excise that part of the design."

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    MObigfoot, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Vitos dopobarba 400, to my nose, is far too different from Floid Blue to call it an imitation. But very powdery indeed. I like that in winter.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I rarely make judgement calls on stuff I haven't personally tried, as that is a slippery slope that leads to people having their decisions made for them by others, but in this case, when so many people say the same thing, I have to trust their judgement.

IB definitely packaged it as a "clone" type fragrance, going so far as to use the same bottles and caps as Floid.

Edit: hmm. You edited your post before I replied.

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, I am not a fan of the way Italian Barber market their products.

And yes, I edited my post ... it was not very polite, unfortunately.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You basically said it was dangerous to make judgement calls on a product a person hasn't tried.

As it happens, I agree with you on that. That's why I rarely do so, and only when a majority concensus of people who have tried the product agree.

...Which in wet shaving is rare.

RyX likes this.
  6. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Variety is the spice of life gentlemen. Today I shaved with AoS lavender cream followed by TSD lavender aftershave and guess what.... today my favorite aftershave is TSD lavender. Wonder what it will be tomorrow?

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Probably something called "Pure Old Panther Piss."

RyX likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

And just like that we are back to the topic of the thread;
    "the best Aftershave in the world"

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I gave them the answer twice already.

Bird Lives and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a Rite of Passage. Everyone ought to see if they are Chosen. For those that aren't there are all those other aftershaves. I like the ones with FD&C Blue #1!
    FD&C Blue #1.jpg

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It would do a number on everyone, though.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.
    That is all.

twhite and Straight razor dandy like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Someone ought to make an aftershave called "That is All."

twhite, RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Granted, I haven't tried that, but from all descriptions it would appear to me that the clove smell would knock out that of the Clubman itself.

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Right again...but that is true for every fragrance product....and admittedly, The Veg....is very polarizing.....but those casting aspersions, will say you are saying this is only true concerning the Veg.

But there can be no arguement, that The Veg IS an iconic legend....now will come the semantics and rhetoric that this debate usually summons....

HEY....For those that haven't seen this....Check this out:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    twhite, RyX and SharptoothC like this.
  16. Bird Lives

Instead of looking for the best aftershave, maybe they should be looking for the best reading glasses...:rofl:

17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The B&M Reserve Cool arrived today and it is an almost exact match to Floid Blue. I haven't tried it out yet so I can't speak to the longevity or post shave feel, but I did notice that it contains both alcohol and witch hazel whereas the Floid does not contain witch hazel. Both contain glycerin. As far as scent goes I can recommend it to anyone wanting to try Floid Blue but have had trouble finding any.

PLANofMAN and RyX like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The best review I've ever read for Lilac Vegetal said simply; "It either smells like gunpowder and courage, or it smells like the results of being exposed to gunpowder and courage." ...or words to that effect, anyways.

Ksblazer, twhite, RyX and 3 others like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097: :happy102: :happy088:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

:signs011: