Omega Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Douglas Carey, Nov 20, 2015.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Between a 10098 & a 20248 I like the black handled barbers brush shape. Should I ever need to replace them I'd just get the 10098.

PickledNorthern and RetLEO-07 like this.
  2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I had the 11574 years ago and remember it as a very fine brush. I loaned to someone at work just starting wet shaving and never got it back. I think it's time to get another one.

Col C and RyX like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You bet Col. I'm gonna drive it like I stole it.

RyX likes this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Only way to drive!

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

So, my 10098 was waiting in the mailbox when I got home. After ditching my uni, I took it up to my den for a drive. Put some TOBS Coconut in my bowl and proceeded to make some lather. Man, it whips up quick. Nice and stiff too. Made sure I worked it deep in. Then I gave it a good rinse. Sorta smelled like the dog after walking him in the rain. I'm gonna use it in the morning and then hit it again tomorrow after work. I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

RyX, Col C, Linuxguile and 1 other person like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Whip up another batch of lather and let it sit in the brush overnight. It will help get rid of that smell and expedite the splitting of the tips.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

:happy088:

8. RetLEO-07

So this morning I used the 10098 in my Focus shave. Man, this baby can make some lather. It is a little scratchy, but in a good way. From what I've read, this goes away fairly quickly. And as far as the smell, it doesn't smell any worse than the dog after I walk him in the rain. All in all, a keeper!

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

As you use it - and let it dry - the hairs will start to split at the ends. That will make it soft on the face but it will still have the inherent stiffness underneath. Just keeps getting better with time.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

Thanks for the info Col. I can already tell this is going to be a great brush.

Col C likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

More break-in for my 10098. The smell has gone down significantly. The more I'm using it the more I'm liking it. No shave tomorrow, but Sunday I'll be trying it with my other new acquisition, Route 66 Rum Runner Shaving Soap. I'm stoked.

clint64, Salty Belle and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

So, today is a no shave day. But I've been doing some break-in work with my 10098. Yesterday I gave it a ten minute soak in Oxy-Clean. Did the same this morning. It smells a lot better. The bristle tips are already feeling softer when wet. I think I've found my new daily driver.

RyX, Linuxguile and clint64 like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

The break-in of my 10098 continues apace. This morning's cream was Simpsons Unscented. The brush really whipped it up well. I had enough for five passes if I had been so inclined.

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have found that both of my boar brushes are better at whipping up lather. I suppose it is because of the stiffer bristles even though the tips are soft. I try to use all my brushes (not that I have that many) but the boars are my favorite.

PickledNorthern and RetLEO-07 like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

I have decided to make the 10098 my daily driver with a secondary mission of use with soaps. I'll use my Silvertips for Sunday's and just whenever.

16. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I have a 31025 that I like. At least, I like the knot. The handle is decent, but not my favorite; feels awkward somehow. I've used a friend's 31064 and I didn't like the knot as well. Don't know why; maybe just that production run.

17. RetLEO-07

Used my 10098 again today. Smell is gone and I have to say, it didn't take the tips long to soften. Very little scratchyness. And for soaps, this baby is the bomb. If you're an FNG like me, this brush is IMO a great investment!(not a paid spokesperson!)

RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a great brush! I've had mine for more than a year. I've gathered several other brushes with badger and synthetic bristles, but my PRO-98 still gets it's lather time.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  19. ojustme

ojustme New Member

OmegaPro10048.jpg New Handle for my Omega Pro 10048 Boar Brush. First shaving brush when I started traditional wet shaving four years ago. She needed a new outfit so I replaced that chrome plastic handle with a TGN 28mm acrylic handle. Looks beautiful now and it is hard to beat a boar brush for lather once it is broken in.

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The 98 is a big brush. I made a hybrid 98 years ago. It now lives in Canadia with @Red Rider .
    Jayaruh#17_16.jpg