National chains that sell DEs?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kapp EO, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Kapp EO

Kapp EO New Member

I've been convinced to take the plunge and buy a DE razor. Are there any national chains of brick-and-mortar stores where I can actually walk in, give a kind cashier some money, and walk out with one? Or am I going to have to order one online?

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

The only places I know of around here are a very small hole-in-the-wall knife shop and, at the mall, a Victorinox (I think) store than has a few Merkurs (for quite a bit more money than online sellers).

I doubt you'll have much luck locally. Just order a Merkur HD from Lee or Emily. Most folks seem to like them (Lee, Emily AND the Merkurs). If you have any antique shops locally, you might also find a good old Gillette. I have several for <$10. My $7 Super-Adjustable is my daily shaver...even though I have three Merkurs. I really should sell those I guess. And speaking of that, the Classified section here is a good place to pick up a reasonably priced razor.

Good luck!!

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I also have dozens of vintage Gillettes from the 30's up through the 70's. I do have a few older ones but they have grown a bit too near and dear to my heart and chin to sell them. :happy088

4. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Yep, the Victorinox here in White Plains has Merkur DEs and Dovo straights along with brushes, strops, etc. They're marked up a bit, but at least you can handle them before buying.

Oh yeah, Art of Shaving, found in more and more malls these days, carries DEs and straights as well.

I agree that the classifieds here is a great place to start.

Jordan

5. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Yes, you'd be better off buying used or online. Art of Shaving has a very hefty mark up. But you can always go in, look around and pretend you will buy, then go online and find a good deal. That's what I did. The other AOS shaving products are supposed to be very good quality.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Depends on where you live. Antique stores, or knife shops that sell Col Conk will sell Merkur stuff.

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Many cigar shops also sell Col. Conk and Dovo items. C.O. Bigelow has truefitt and hill DE's I think. They have brushes and soaps atleast. Whole Foods by me carries the Merkur Classic. Including where you live would probably be the first step.

8. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

Brick & Mortar

Try old school drug & hardware stores. They're happy to see dusty shaving implements sell.

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I never understood the relationship between cigar smokers and wet shavers. Fidel Castro is a cigar smoker, but I don't think a razor has touched his face in quite a while.

10. JayKay

I think it just has it just has to do with "the finer things in life". Cigar shops tend to sell a combination of cigars, pens, whisky, and shaving stuffs.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Out here in central Louisiana the only way to get a DE razor is via internet. You can find DE blades at Walmart, Walgreens, or CVS but they don't sell the DE razors...

I suspect this is common for rural areas in other parts of the country.

12. JayKay

Either way, you might as well order it online with supplies. Holding a razor in your hand isnt going to tell you anything about it more than the fact that you can see if you like the grip. Also, you've never shaved with a DE before presumably and that means that even if you did go and hold one, chances are you'd have a different grip when actually shaving. Just read reviews and order one online.

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

good news is:
    No matter what you buy, if it aint what youre looking for
    there are plenty of shavegeeks around these parts to buy it off ya.

Classifieds are a great place to find some bargains and if you arent sure youre getting a deal, PM one of the vets around here and find out.
    Theres a lot of local knowledge to pull from (present company excluded :ashamed001)

We're here to help.

14. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

You may find a drugstore that still has a Gillette "Double Edge" razor from the 1990's, the successor to The Knack. TTO, light plastic handle, about $10.