RAD Idiosyncrasies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Okay, I have RAD about as bad as anybody, but, believe it or not, it is tempered by some degree of sanity. True, I will go after just about anything and everything razor related, but always within reason. However, there are some exceptions. There are some razors that inexplicably send me off the deep end of logicality, and I will bid out my *ahem* to get them. The razors I speak of are: Gillette President, Bostonian, Sheraton, and Senator. A lot of razors get me salivating, but not to the "can't think straight until I get one" level of the aforementioned whisker choppers. I know I'm not the only one with this disease, so time to come clean guys. Remember, confession is good for the soul. :D

2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i have GRAD (gem razor acquisition disorder). those damn things shave my bank account about as well as they shave my face.

i have RAD on occasion as well. im a fan of early gillettes, from about 1910 and earlier.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My RAD has been defeated. I sold off all of my DEs except for my grandfathers Tech and a golden Merkur Progress. I was given a few new ones since then (mostly NOS razors coming from the ex-GDR) but generally speaking my DEs are just collecting dust...

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

DIBS!!

What do you got and what do you want for them.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

*AHEM*

I do believe RAD applies to straights also. ;)

Klaus's collection:

Tosuke
    Iwasaki
    Wapi 5/8
    Puma 5/8
    Sprock 5/8
    Elliott 1470
    Bengall 5/8
    Antelope 5/8
    Es-Ex razor 6/8
    Geldmacher 5/8
    Ern Gunstock 4/8
    2x W&B Wedge 6/8
    2x Wade Wingfield 5/8
    TI Loup & Belier 6/8
    Paul Plücker #69 5/8
    French "Ancier Fondu"
    W. Greaves & Sons 5/8
    J.A. Henckels #410 5/8
    Wacker Jungmeister 7/8
    Mappin Bros. Wedge 6/8
    W&B "For Barbers Use" 8/8
    Wostenholm Pipe Razor 5/8
    George Butler "Shakespeare" 6/8
    very old (~200 years) Bengall 5/8
    Ferdinand Herberz 7/8 (#14-blade)
    Joseph Rodgers & Sons 13/16 Wedge
    Silver Steel Solingen 13/16 with fancy etching
    Wacker "gut-rasiert" LE 15/16 sheffield-head #2/25

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, I thought with the thread being located in the DE subforum.... *whistles*

But I have to say I'm pretty much content with my str8 setup. I've either owned and resold the razors I wanted to test or tested them after honing for other persons. What I have in my inventory is what turned out to be the best shavers for me, everyhing else had to go. And as I don't have any razors I really *have* to get anymore I have to say that my ST8AD is also under control :D

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have a pretty severe case of RAD. I finally got to the point where I look for specific things, not just anything that happens to catch my fancy, although sometimes that happens too. Right now my watch list is
    anything tuckaway related
    SS / rocket variations I don't have yet -I have learned not to list specifics.
    cases for homeless razors I already own

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I did come across a Gold Tuckaway case today at lunch that needs some major polishing. And it did have its blade holder intact - also in need of polishing. Now the only thing its missing is a Tuckaway. :signs081

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Almost anything Tuckaway... ;) Decent condition is also a requirement. :happy102

10. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Oh, I knew it wasn't up to your standards. I know you already have a sweet Gold. I'd just like to come across a cheap pedestrian type gold Tuckaway that can fill out the case. Maybe it could then provide someone with a cheap set that could be used as a "placeholder" like that silver set you have. You haven't replaced it yet, have you?

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

No, unfortunately. I bid on a couple, but no luck yet. There is a nice one now, but I promised another interested party I would not have a bidding war with him. I am a bit broke anyway, but on that topic, I did just unexpectedly win a nice SS set I didn't have yet. :D

I hope you picked up the Tuckaway case. The razors come up semi-frequently, and they really are awesome. I love the look of the whole set. What condition is the inner liner on it? I have a decent Gold set that has terrible lining, maybe you could combine them.

12. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Oh, I did pick it up. The price was worth a restoration attempt. But the purple lining is in about the same shape as the one you pictured. At worst a complete set, albeit in less than ideal condition, is still a complete set and may have some value to somebody somewhere. So, I'll keep an eye out for a Tuckaway, sans case, in about equivalent shape, that I may be able to pull a trade for.

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I no longer have any ADs. Brushes were an issue for a while, but no more...I even sold half of them.

Other than a couple of pucks of Floris soap a couple of months ago, I don't remember the last thing I bought. And I bought THOSE only because they were 40% off. I have 6 DEs and use one of them. Last one I bought was at least a year ago.

Eat your hearts out. :D

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get well soon. ;)

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

No way! I am at one with my RAD. :cool:

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Perhaps my post was a bit misleading. I have no SHAVING ADs. However...I just ordered a new Nikon DSLR with lens, flash, bag and tripod. I haven't even received it yet and called in an order for another lens today! Brushes were SOOOO much cheaper!!

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Now I get it! You're done with the gateway addictions and moving on to the serious stuff! :happy102

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Hello. My name is Michael and...........

19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

:happy001

20. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Bingo, Bango, Bongo, Baby!!