Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thanks Andrew. Have a great Friday buddy! :)

2. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Nice Rob! Does the Electric Sheep lather differently than their other soaps? I've been tempted to order some but I'm not sure about the scent description but if the lather is superior I'd take a chance on it

3. Robyflexx

Thanks Ben! Easy, super slick, superior lather. It's the best soap I've ever had. Post shave is also second to none and I'm in love with the scent. I leave the top off in the bathroom now and use it as an air freshener. Highly recommended with confidence. :happy088:

4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Wow! Now I definitely need to try it. Is it more of a lemon scent or does it smell like bug spray? I'm trying to decide between it and the Scots Pine Sheep.

5. Robyflexx

It smells like UBER citronella and citrus in a beautifully melded way brother. Very crisp and fresh! :love055:

6. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I want to use SE blades/razors sooo bad..... But I believe DEs are the best for me.
    [​IMG]

Jayaruh, Jim99, Hodge and 9 others like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I tried the Shovelhead with a trimmed Astra DE for the head shave, extremely aggressive and efficient but a little scary. For the beard I trimmed the edge off the Astra and used it as a shim to stabilize a fresh Personna Blue. Though the DE blade doesn't benefit from the curvature here as it does in the Shake Sharp, the stabilizing blade does smooth things out considerably, making for a great and considerably less scary shave. I like it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jayaruh, Jim99, Hodge and 8 others like this.
  8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Elite Razor Amigo Ironwood with Envy White 2-Band
    Mike’s Natural Soap Barbershop
    Colonial Razors General with Stork RWD/Ti
    Feather Pro
    Fine American Blend
    Brooks Brothers 1818

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, Jayaruh, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

So Scott, just what is it about the DE's that you like better? If you find the SEs a little too aggressive, don't feel alone...I had a couple music students that really wanted to go SE but couldn't get passed the aggressive factor...If thats it, I let my students try my GEM Damaskeene with the curved head...They both fell in love and I ended up piffing both of them a Damaskeene...They are both Dammy Addicts now! Have you tried one? I'd send you one to try, but my two students have left me Dameless in Seattle :happy097:

But if its about the the SE Attitude....the Damaskeenes are very mild and oh so smooth...and still very close shavers.

Also the GEM Feather Weight is a great and mild shaver...maybe a tad more aggressive than the Damaskeene...

My damaskeene when I still had one...
    image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Jayaruh, PLAla, twhite and 7 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Scots Pine is the same base. It is a very crisp, pure pine scent.

**Edit - I should have kept reading first.....

PLAla, Karl G, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  11. Bird Lives

Today I visited an old friend and had an absolutely fantastic shave!!
    One of those "Best Shaves of Your Life" type of shaves....You know the feeling :happy108:
    I wish I could find my first shave review with this razor, a few years ago. But it was the same kind of thing.
    This is my first Gold Open Comb Micromatic, and it's been a superb shaver from day 1....I don't know why I haven't used it in so long...But thats cool....That just makes me that much more knocked out by it when I rediscover it..,:happy088:

I see many folks crying about what a mankiller these are...I feel these shaving masterpieces are grossly misunderstood. While this razor does have claws its really a pussy cat when handled right...

Heres a great video about the care and feeding of the open comb micromatic. This video was done by MrGuy, and my thanks and applause to him for a great vid. :happy096:

Hope you enjoy the video...I know, if you follow MrGuys advice, most will discover some of the best shaves in your life...I did! I watched this video years ago before I had ever tried it...The first time I used it was love at first stroke...These really are amazing, GEM put all they had behind this razor when it came out in 1930. They stopped all production of other razors. Moved the 1912 production to Ever Ready. They thought this Micromatic was the future...Well, it's still state of the art.

Ohh, I found my first short review of this razor. @HoosierTrooper piffed me my first SE razors, a gold Ever Ready 1912 with the vintage handle, a GEM HFT or G-Bar, and a gold OC Micromatic. Here is what I wrote a couple weeks later after receiving these. This post is from 6 years ago...:

BTW.....I am now an officially screaming fanatic of the Gem OC Micromatic Camp....One of the all-time greatest razor designs....and it shaves second to none.....2 pass shaves that seriously rival str8 shaves....but has the manners of an injector....extraordinary...

Is this love or just infatuation......me thinks...the real deal....:love055: ...of course the same applies to my ER 1912 & Schick Hydro-magic....each a case of true love...

I still can't get over how slick this TTO mechanism is...and it pre-dates any TTO Gillette came up with and is so much more sophisticated...It slides back and then opens....you place the blade and it closes and then slides forward pushing the blade to it optimum angle...Too Cool for School...

YMMV

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Jayaruh, PLAla, Jim99 and 7 others like this.
  12. Bird Lives

Today's Shave, check SOS thread for complete review..But heres the pic....
    image.jpg

Jayaruh, PLAla, twhite and 6 others like this.
  13. Robyflexx

Sat. 2/11/17

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

Jayaruh, PLAla, twhite and 5 others like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent picture Mark, with 2 very good looking handles. :happy096:

15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

A thousand pardons for asking what has probably been asked before (considering this thread is pushing 700 pages).

I've been gradually acquiring injector blades that are no longer in production. Some by intent and others by chance.

As far as using vintage blades (vs. simply collecting) I recall reading that some are better than others and some should possibly be avoided because of the material (possible rust?).

I took a photo of several that I'm curious about and I'm wondering if someone could give me the general consensus on whether or not I should use any of these or just simply collect them and continue to use brand new Chinese Schicks.

I have tried the PAL Hollow Ground in a Schick J model for a few shaves and noted it to be harsh.

I'm also curious if some of these blades are the same blade with simply a different name and a different package.

And finally, some of the blades have different shape holes than others - does that limit what razors I might be able to use them in?

I've listed and numbered them (below the picture) by column starting from the upper left.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

010.JPG

1 Schick Krona-Chrome Super Chromium

2 Schick Plus Platinum (dark blue)

3 Schick Plus Platinum (light blue)

4 Schick Super Comfort Edge – Super Stainless Steel

5 Schick Stainless Krona – Stainless Steel

6 Eversharp Schick with Krona Edge

7 Eversharp Schick Custom Golden Swedish Steel

8 Schick with Krona Edge

9 Schick Krona Plus Stainless

10 Eversharp Schick

11 Schick Plus Chromium

12 Schick Super Chromium

13 Pal Hollow Ground

Jayaruh, Karl G, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I just received my first pack of Personna 74's and noted some discoloration on the blade on top.

I thought it might just be some accumulated guck from being in the bottom of a bathroom cabinet drawer for too many years so I removed the top blade to discover the same sort of thing on the second blade in the stack, only to a lesser degree.

I tried cleaning it with both vinegar and alcohol but it didn't make much difference.

Any idea what the discoloration is or if I should worry about it? I'm quite anxious to give one of these blades a run.

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Jayaruh, Karl G, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I've used #2,3,11,12 without issue. I believe these four are newer vintage than the others. many of the older vintage blades are not worth using as they're just not sharp enough.

18. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Pretty decent shave with the Schick type O this morning. it is a bit on the mild side, so three passes are in order for a DFS. It goes back in the display case after each use.....

Jayaruh, Linuxguile, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Last night with my newest G (that I actually bought just for the case) was outstanding.
    [​IMG]

G, loaded with a new Chick, the Ever-Ready pure badger, and (of course) a near-gone puck of Williams. The last of the Nivea Cooling balm afterwards (I did get the regular Nivea to try).

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Looks fantastic!

Karl G, Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.