3 Piece Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Sep 10, 2008.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I think I have found my niche and it's 3 piece razors. They just look right to me and make so much sense. Easy to use, easy to clean and look great.

Anyway, I'm curious which companies have produced 3 piece razors and how they rate on the aggressiveness scale. I know of Gillette, Merkur, Parker, Lord, Feather and Lux. Who else is there??

Right now I'm using a gold Gillette Tech with the fat handle and I would rate it at a 4/5 on a scale of 1-10. 10 would be the most aggresive. Aggressiveness is based on using a Red Personna blade.

Any input/information would be most helpful so I can know what I'm looking for and at.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your shave.

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

In my humble opinion, I think any of the Gillette 3 piece razors with the "New Standard" open-comb are fabulous shavers. But, I also like the "Old Style" in Gillette and Merkur (what can I say? I'm easy). And even though they are 2 piece, I love the modern Merkurs (realistically, they are the same as a 3 piece, but the bottom plate is attached to the handle).

3. Must Dash

Must Dash New Member

Muhle have a couple of 3 piece razors - well actually variations of the same razor: the R89 (chrome-plated) and the R41 (nickel-plated). This is one of the most aggressive razors out there - in my view more aggressive than a Slant. But, once you master it (oh so gentle), you may well find it's the best DE shave you can get. The box is probably the coolest modern-day razor packaging you can buy.

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/razors/2/8/1

Cheers

Jeremy

Attached Files:

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Arent the T&H DEs 3pc razors (with merkur HD heads)

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I like the combs and the three piece razors. I also enjoy the SEs and wedges.

6. I like the Lord 3 pcs I am using at the moment. I would give it a 4/5 out of 10. It does the job and like you said. It is very easy to clean, especially when you are in a hurry. :).

Dark

7. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Love my Muhle R89. Almost unknown but a fantastic shaver once you come to grips with it.;)

8. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

3 Piece

Today I tried an "old" with a modern blade and no shim.

Great shave, better than my 30's new.

9. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

Do you mean the 1920's models, as opposed to the NEW Gillette models from the 1930's? That's where I think they made a big improvement. (The 1930's models, that is.)

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Sorry if I was ambiguous, I was talking about the 3 piece open combs like this:

[​IMG]

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

That is a New. Actually a Red and Black Edition based upon the case. A New Standard, a version of the New Improved, looks like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Other than a bar vs studs, what is the difference in those two razors? The combs look identical to me.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Nevermind. I went and looked at my razors and see that the "New" has a more vertical comb guard, and the "New Standard" is more angled. However, either of these make great shavers.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

There are actually several variations of NEW combs too, I will try to get a couple pictures later today.