It's finally assembled. The Bois du Portugal Shave Kit...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Tim Spencer, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Special thanks to the following vendors who made this kit happen:
    [​IMG] Scott Stewart of Declaration Grooming
    [​IMG] Josh Lindt of Desire Metal Works
    [​IMG] Kevin of Country Club for Men
    [​IMG] Rudy Vey of RV Shaving
    [​IMG] Razor Emporium (re-plating service)

When I first tried and bought the fragrance Bois du Portugal, I did so because it smelled like class in a bottle. Like it was from a different time when men were men. I wanted to definitely make a shave kit out of this one and now......I have.

[​IMG]

Product Lineup:
    Fragrance - Creed Bois du Portugal
    Aftershave - Country Club for Men - Custom Scent "Eau de Brando"
    Shave Soap - Country Club for Men - Custom Scent "Eau de Brando"
    Deodorant - Country Club for Men - Custom Scent "Eau de Brando"
    Pre-shave Oil - Lather & Wood "Unscented"
    Post-Shave balm - Cilo Super Anitoxidant Serum
    Razor - Vintage Gillette Superspeed circa 1947-1952 (re-plated in nickel by Razor Emporium)
    Razor Stand by RV Shaving
    Brush - Declaration Grooming "Fatty" in custom green color (formerly L&L Grooming)
    Brush stand by Desire Metal Works
    Soap Bowl - Purchased two sets, one from Etsy and a backup from Ebay. Unknown origin, likely a Vintage MCM Art Deco Sugar Bowl from the 1960's.

[​IMG]

Product Lineup:
    Fragrance - Creed Original Vetiver
    Aftershave - Country Club for Men - Frozen Vetiver
    Shave Soap - Country Club for Men - Frozen Vetiver
    Deodorant - Country Club for Men - Frozen Vetiver
    Brush - Declaration Grooming "Fatty" in custom green color (formerly L&L Grooming)
    Soap Bowl - Vintage Dubarry Soap Bowl circa 1930's Britain

First up, the custom art creation of Josh Lindt from Desire Metal Works. I requested that he come up with an idea for a shave brush stand that would be at home in the 1940's-1950's silver screen era. He called this creation "Diner". I call it one-of-a-kind and amazing. It really is the centerpiece of this shave kit.

[​IMG]

Next up, the custom made brush, which is yet another masterpiece in this kit and goes with the stand like they were engineered for each other. I selected Scott's own design called "The Fatty" and he knotted them with 26mm Ubersoft IIs from Nathan Clark of Envy Shave. I want to commend him for taking the time to match the colors which turned out great!

[​IMG]

And....Another wonderful Razor Stand by Rudy Vey of RV Shaving. Again, like the other one, I found a way to polish these up but got a very slight amount of the polish into Rudy's engraving, and I got virtually all of it out except a very trace amount. So the polishing job's residue is my doing, not Rudy's, but it still all worked out fabulously and matches the brush and brush stand color exactly! It was not easy to get all of this matched up while working with 3 different artisans, but the results are fantastic!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now, the razor, which is shared with the Shulton Old Spice shave kit. This razor was fully restored and re-plated by Razor Emporium:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really went out of my way to search for many, many weeks to find these bowls for this shave kit. I found them using google image search and evaluated THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of images until I decided on these soap bowls for my green shave kit:

From my research and best guess, this is a Vintage MCM Art Deco Sugar Bowl from the 1960's
    [​IMG]

This next bowl is a vintage British, circa 1930's Dubarry Shave Soap Bowl in mint condition!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to give a huge thank you to Kevin of Country Club for Men, who spent spare time working on and creating a fantastic shave soap, aftershave and deodorant scent to pair with Creed's Bois du Portugal. This was named by me "Eau de Brando". Kevin said he really digs this scent and if you want Kevin to make this a regular product, then please send him a request asking for this. It's one of the best aftershaves I've ever smelled. Top notch stuff.

The match for Creed's Original Vetiver was already among Kevin's product lineup in the form of his "Frozen Vetiver" scent and he also custom-made the shave soap and deodorant for me. It's a great match also!

[​IMG]

This shave kit could never be a reality without those who worked on the custom items to make this possible. Many hours of my own searching/researching and hours of crafting from these artisans out of their own spare time made this happen. This setup is one of a kind but you can also potentially have one of your very own creation too. Josh, Scott and Rudy take custom orders and would be glad to make something as it seems like a passion for them.

Here is another picture of the kit with a different angle:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    MacDaDad, JBSharp, Demidog and 7 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Looks good. Nice job! :happy088:

Carbide Mike and Tim Spencer like this.
  3. Tim Spencer

This took around 8 months from concept to completion. Like my white shave kit, this one was very difficult to assemble and took much time, but the outcome was well beyond my expectations going in.

Carbide Mike and wristwatchb like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What other kits are you currently assembling, but haven't revealed yet? :)

IDuck, RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. Tim Spencer

There is one more final shave kit under development and the details are classified. :cool:

RyX, Carbide Mike and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I always look forward to your kits. You have exquisite style and excellent taste with attention to detail and don't hold back . Love em ! :)

PLANofMAN and RyX like this.
  7. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

wow, amazing. patience and careful planning has paid off. love the brush handle color

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

A most excellent kit.
    I especially like the Dubarry shave soap bowl.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Tim Spencer

Don't you love how Scott matched the brush color of the shave bowl? I was marveling at that. It looks like the bowl and brush were made together as a set. I 'love' this green shave kit set.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

@Tim Spencer

Are you still holding to the "one brush for one soap" philosophy?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Tim Spencer

Thanks! I found the bowls and the artists and the artists did their thing. Every time I put these together I'm glad they have all worked out. The only hard part is the amount of time it takes to first 'find' what I want and the people to do the projects. That alone took a few months. People can sort of duplicate what I've done here with the artists on their own projects. Of course you might not go this far, but these guys and gals have done great jobs on these components.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Carbide Mike and Keithmax like this.
  13. Tim Spencer

Yeah. LOL! Except the Vigshaving brush that I put with the Shulton Old Spice setup. That one has been used on my test soaps and random oddball shaves. The reason is because I rarely ever use the vintage Shulton setup because the stuff is so hard to obtain. I plan to only use the Shulton setup a handful of times a year.

RyX, Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Don't you ever say to yourself, "Oh man, I bet this brush would beat the crap out of THIS soap in THAT bowl", or aren't you ever in the mood for a certain soap, but just wish you were using a different brush today?

I'm not criticizing at all, it is just such a foreign concept to the way I mix and match my products. Nothing from the kits ever gets mixed around?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Tim Spencer

All of my brushes are synthetic and have very similar performance. The one with the most difference is the Everready 150 vintage brush that was restored by Razor Emporium. That one feels like the backbone of the brush has much less tension/strength (and that isn't a bad thing, just different). Most of my brushes are very close to badger in performance. I have one synthetic brush in secret testing right now that emulates a boar knot and it's the most different of all my brushes. I cannot show that one until the unveiling in about 2-3 months. I am switching a product in the newest kit and the work that needs to be done will take significant time, and I'm also waiting on two custom aftershaves to be finished, which will take a month also to 'age' so that the scents are properly matured to match.

16. PickledNorthern

Well, you have put some obvious thought into your SOTD's. Good stuff.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Actually, to be painfully honest, I was only thinking of how good that green vintage bowl would look in my green and yellow bathroom in my vintage house with my vintage shave gear.

But now that you mention it, the matching brush would be a "must have" as well.

RyX, Carbide Mike and Tim Spencer like this.
  18. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Excuse me Tim, but didn't I make myself clear in a reply to your previous kit post?

These kit posts need to be quarantined for a pre-determined number of days with access limited to those with the will power to resist the overwhelming feeling of jealousy and inadequacy when viewing works of art that serve to please not only the visual sense, but include both olfactory and tactile sensations as well. I suppose next you'll come up with a kit that includes the remaining senses. Perhaps a radio scuttle tuned to soft jazz or classical music. Maybe a shaving lozenge flavored with vanilla, licorice or fine tobacco as long as it matches the soap and aftershave.

I will now lodge a formal complaint to the moderators in an attempt to have a temporary restraining order put in place.

BTW, wonderful kit. Really like the brush stand. Partial to art deco things myself.:happy096:

Carbide Mike, Tim Spencer and RyX like this.