February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The one and only time I've been sharp today. Only having one day off has turned half of my brain to the consistency of Williams, I think.

2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I am praying that your daughter's therapy will be effective and just what she needs, and that she will receive a great deal of relief through it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I got an unexpected sample of Soap Commander from @PLAIa, and it is indeed good stuff. I plan on a future purchase.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's Barbasol time.

Red pill.

RyX, Drygulch, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That reminds me. I may be travelling to Cali in a couple of weeks. Probably need to get another travel size Barbasol for the road.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Just buy a whole can when you get there. Full size is $1.89 here in Denver. On my last trip I bought and left a can in AL and KY, along with some Adidas and blades. Throw an empty shavette in my bag and go. I go both places so often it makes sense.

RyX, Drygulch, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

February 23 (Thursday) - equipment focus - Fendrihan day 2

Fendrihan Scientist stainless steel razor / GSB (3)
    Kent woodhandled boar brush
    The Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado Cream ( croap )
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent

It has taken a few shaves to get the Kent boar dialled in. I was having trouble getting it to hold enough lather and then to release the lather when I wanted it. So I used it again today, only this time I really ground the brush into the soap, then added twice as much water and whipped for about twice as long as usual. The result was enough yogurt for my shaves for the next three days. Bingo!

Then I put the GSB into the Fendrihan Scientist and enjoyed a good, clean DFS shave -- except for the blood. The start of the shave went very well, and I remember thinking that the blade felt smooth and the razor mild and maybe now I had it whipped. At which point, I both slackened up the skin stretching and wobbled with the razor just as I was working around the corner of my mouth, and the little brute bit me. Then I lost the angle on my lower jaw and gave myself a pretty good little scrape. I ended the shave with two good weepers and a couple tiny nicks. However the cold rinse and alum stopped the bleeding and the Thayers soothed everything. No need for the styptic pencil.

My conclusions from this month's tests with my new or little used razors and blades:

1. The Voskhod is a smooth sharp blade that I can make work in just about any razor I have.
    2. The GSB is pretty good too.
    3. The Topaz Platinum works well in the Krona, is usable in the Fatip, and probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Fendrihan Scientist.
    4. The Schick Krona is a great mild razor that I can just about use in my sleep.
    5. The Fatip Grande is a beautifully crafted razor that is aggressive but controllable.
    6. The Fendrihan Scientist is a harshly aggressive razor that I am capable of using if I absolutely must. However nobody is holding a gun to my head, so now that I know this razor hasn't beaten me, it's hitting the road.

And now I will spend the rest of the month having plain, simple, boring not-worth-reporting-on shaves with the Voskhod loaded in my Fatboy set on 3.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    jtspartan, RyX, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Oh no! It's the Veg!!!!

Run! Run for your lives!!!!!!

RyX, Drygulch, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 23, 2017​
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti​
    Feather Pro Super (12)​
    Rubberset 400 #3 with WSP HWM​
    Route 66 Rum Runner​
    Fine Fresh Vetiver​
    [​IMG]

Moving a little slow this morning but at least I am moving. After some stretches the dod and I did our mile walk which helped get out the remaining kinks. I decided to go with a 3 pass shave this morning and after some touch ups ended with my normal near BBS. Finished off the shave with a splash of Fine Fresh Vetiver and I am off to fight the morning commute. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

twhite, jtspartan, RyX and 10 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good one Adam. :)

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD February 23, 2017

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick J1 injector
    Brush: JR #60 synthetic
    Lather: Soap Commander Fortitude
    WTG

I hope to help push the Soap Commander enabling a little more today! Terrific, bountiful, high quality lather this morning from Soap Commander Fortitude. Wow! Really easy to lather, beautiful scent, and all the other stuff you want from a soap. Just did one pass without touch-ups for a nice and easy shave.

Hope you all have a great day!

SOTD 2-23-17.JPG

jtspartan, RyX, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Fantastic picture, Clint!

13. Norcalnewb

Good use of perspective, Perry!

14. Norcalnewb

Beautiful black and white pic, Mark!

15. Norcalnewb

Keith, your razors are always outstanding, and this one is no exception! Wonderful!

clint64, Drygulch, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Feb 23 - Da svidahnia Voskhod Day 6

Merkur 34C HD
    Voskhod teflon(Day6)
    Homemade PSO
    AOS Black Pure Badger Brush
    Stirling SDM
    Alum
    Nivea Sensitive PSB
    I decided, what the He!!, what's one more day with the Voskhod. 3 Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG. I did not do ATG on the chin. This blade really speaks to me. I kept the pressure light again and I could feel that the blade was a little duller. Still felt better than other blades but duller than new. It was asking for a bit more pressure (which I would not give) or a few extra strokes. In all, I have a DFS+. No blood. It's cusp of the shaving curve is nice and gentle when it falls off. It did not drop off in capability to the point where I felt like I was shaving with a stone tool pressed against the skin trying to abrade the hair off. No, it was more like Rocky, beaten but not giving out. I do feel that if this was the weekend or if I was only looking to do a 2 pass shave, I might consider keeping it for another day or two. Yes, it still felt that good but for a day at work and a night out with the wife, I would like something better. For me, 6 shaves (3 pass each) out of a single blade is excellent. The Voskhod felt smooth, sharp and effort was minimal. I have a hard time believing there can be anything better but I still have 12 more blades in the sample pack to try and still some big names on the list.

Result: DFS+. There is a spot or two that is cut well but still feel ruff. No stubble feeling but rough. Everywhere else is BBS.

Razor was washed and dried and loaded with a Gillette Silver Blue. Out with the Russian (you served me well) and In with a Russian!!

jtspartan, Screwtape, RyX and 8 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

IMG_5029.JPG

February 23 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    PAA Deja Fougere
    Merkur Futur
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Brut Classic AS

jtspartan, Screwtape, RyX and 9 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I decided when using Barbasol I'll stick to the red.

RyX, clint64, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

there will be a "cold snap" here from Sun-Tues, so that will bring back some missed soap/brush usage for me. Next up in the rotation-Rte 66 Cavendish soap and Clubman Special Reserve A,S.

RyX, clint64, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Everything OK with your mom?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.