Polo

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Demidog, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Thanks to a generous family member, I got to try out Polo green. I think that I might be quite biased since this is a nostalgic fragrance for me, but I really like it. I get a smokey pine scent and to be honest, it almost reminds me of those starter logs that you might use in your fireplace. My only concern about this fragrance is that it might smell very dated so it might be off-putting for some of my friends and family, although I haven't asked any of their opinions yet.

I haven't had a chance to smell any of the other Polo variants but it seems like most of them are quite new. Has anyone else had a chance to try black, red, or blue? I've been really enjoying woody and spicy scents so far so green seemed right up my alley.

I also have a discontinued Polo cologne called Romance that I received as a gift many years ago. I generally like it and I think that it's a good "modern" scent overall. Maybe a bit too much ginger for my tastes but I still enjoy using it every now and then. Polo green is still the winner here for me though.

Carbide Mike and crackstar like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have only tried the green, and wear it from time to time. I don't think it is dated at all; Drakaar Noir, yes, Polo, no.

3. Demidog

Funny, I feel the same way. I still feel like Drakkar Noir is a scent for young men but it doesn't have the same sort of timeless vibe that Polo sort of has. I've never been too crazy about Drakkar Noir though.

Paul Turner and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've tried all (most) of the Polo scents. If you like Polo green, you will definitely like Polo Modern Reserve. Polo Black is powdery and sweet, and Polo Double Black is even more powdery. Polo Blue is good, more of a "sport/fresh" type scent. Polo Red (edit: Polo big pony red 2) is "spicy," and gives off almost a cinnamon type vibe. Safari is my personal favorite, and is what I consider to be the best "upscale barbershop" scent out there. Leathers, woods, lavender, geranium, and vanilla.

Edit: I have not tried Polo Red. Only the Polo Big Pony #2 red bottle.

crackstar and Demidog like this.
  5. Demidog

I'd like to try all of them out but it's a bit hard to get samples. Based on your descriptions, all of the varieties sound like they would be great except for maybe Polo Blue, which doesn't sound all that special. I have yet to try anything that resembles a barbershop scent though so I would have no idea where Safari stands in relation to similar fragrances.

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    See my edits above.

Some common barbershop scents you may have encountered: Mitchell's Wool Fat, Pinaud Clubman, Old Spice.

Of those, Old Spice is probably the closest in scent, though next to Safari, Old Spice smells clumsy and unrefined. If Safari is a symphony orchestra, old spice is a garage band.

Edit: they pair well though.

Demidog likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Personally I don't see natural-ish frags becoming dated. Not entirely. But then I'm old. *shrug*

Ijustmissedthe50s and Demidog like this.
  8. Demidog

Funnily enough, I have not smelled MWF, Clubman, or Old Spice. Clubman bottles are everywhere but they are all sealed so it's not possible to smell them at local stores. Until discovering these forums, Aqua Velva was the only aftershave that I had used for more years than I can count.

You've definitely sold me on Safari though. If I ever get a chance to test out some new fragrances again, I will definitely take a look at it. Unfortunately Modern Reserve appears to be discontinued.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And I still enjoy and wear One Man Show, so take nothing seriously that I say.

Demidog and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You owe it to yourself to at least give pinaud clubman a try. Decanting it into glass improves the scent, IMO, but it is good as is. It's more like a cologne than an aftershave, and the oakmoss in it gives it incredible staying power.

Linuxguile, Paul Turner and Demidog like this.
  11. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Polo, it's so 1985.
    I just might have to get some.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's been reformulated. It's not the olfactory powerhouse it once was (for which we can all breath a sigh of relief). :p

RaZorBurn123, Demidog and BigMike like this.
  13. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Aww. :(

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. Demidog

I don't know why but it kind of seems more like a 70s fragrance to me. Then again, I never really paid attention to fragrances until I got my first few shaving soaps last summer so I wouldn't know what anyone was actually wearing back then. When I think of the 80s, I think of Drakkar Noir since everybody seemed to be wearing it back then.

I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that it has been reformulated however. I think the family member who let me borrow his had one of the earlier batches. It comes in the open top bottle instead of as a spray and I never found it too strong but I'm starting to feel like my sense of smell is slipping so maybe it's just me.

15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I use both the green and blue. Blue is their version of Davidoff Cool Water.

Demidog likes this.
  16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I really don't like Polo Green any more. I did at the beginning but not now. Drakkar Noir suits me much better, so it seems.

ninjack, DesertTime and Demidog like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It hasn't been reformulated so much, as they have just removed oakmoss from it to make it EU compliant. It makes it project less, and hurts the overall longevity.

Demidog likes this.
  18. Demidog

What a shame. Longevity is important to me no matter what type of product I'm using. I love to apply something in the morning and still smell great by the evening.
    I've never smelled actual Cool Water but I have TSD Cool Water Type aftershave splash and I love it. I hear that Cool Water is also similar to Green Irish Tweed, which I've love to sample some day.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I thought the Blue was Aqua Velva on steroids(from the description that is-I haven't yet tried it).

Demidog likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I like Polo Green but my wife can't stand it, so no more Polo for me. :scared003:

DesertTime and Demidog like this.