How do you do wet shave travel?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I would like to know what do you take on a trip for shaving?

Do you need to check your blades?

What toiletries at do you take?

Do you take your regular pre, soap and post( in appropriate sized bottles) or do you purchase explicitly for travel?

How do you protect your razor?

How do you protect your brush?

Any other details to help with traveling with a DE razor or any razor is appreciated.

Karl G likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I normally dont fly. Others may help with that.
    My one tip i can offer:
    Large pill bottles work nicely for brush.

3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It depends where I'm going. If I'm visiting my sons in either Texas or New York, I add my shaving stuff to my carry-on, sans blades. My sons will have blades for me. If I'm going somewhere with no blades waiting for me, I check my bag with my stuff, including blades with a plastic dispenser -- like Derby. I never leave my used blades behind, like in a hotel trash can; too easy for someone to get hurt.

4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. I am planing a 4 week road trip this spring - essentially I'll be on the road for the month of May traveling from the west coast to New England then down south and back again. I do this every so often. I have been thinking about what I should take as to razors, soaps, after shaves et cetera. It won't be that difficult as I will be in my car - so packing is pretty easy.

RetLEO-07, PickledNorthern and Karl G like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I check my bag when I fly so I take a straight razor, strop, soap stick, and brush. I store the brush in a large pill bottle.
    I really enjoy wet shaving on the road. In fact I'm packing the gear tonight for a trip this week.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

For most of the year I am traveling for work, by pickup. I am usually gone just for the week, but occasionally will be away for a couple of weeks. My shaving nerdness goes full blown when I am gone from my den.

[​IMG]

In my dopp right now I am packed with the following shaving gear:

-Schick G1
    -DE89 on Maggard Stainless
    -Irving Barber Shavette
    -Simpson Duke 1 Best
    -Maggard 22mm synthetic
    -Collapsible shaving bowl
    -3 Stirling shave sticks
    -A couple soap samples
    -Witch Hazel
    -4 aftershave splashes
    -DE, AC and injector blades
    -Alum block
    -Styptic matches
    -Beard trimming scissors
    -Marvy mug (goes in my bag)

My wife really teases me about that setup.

brit, PatrickA51, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I mail some loose Schick blades to where I am going in advance. Hotels will receive mail on your behalf if you put, "Arriving Guest" followed by your name. I then take an injector or repeater I can load manually with me - usually an E2 or a C3. I used to take travel sized PSO and After Shave Balm but now take full size bottles which are below the TSA limit. I also have a large pill bottle that I've drilled multiple holes in to carry my brush in. I also take a full tin of shave soap in my carry-on.

A big tip: Put your empty razor in the tray for loose items. That way the TSA agents can inspect it without going through your luggage and slowing you down. It's really appreciated by them and some of them admire the old razors. A TSA agent suggested that tip to me one time and it's worked like a charm. :happy088:

8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Great write ups guys.

Like I also ask for a photo if possible and the size of your bag?

It is not possible to carry DE blades in carry on , right?

RetLEO-07, mrchick and Karl G like this.
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Correct - you will want to mail the blades to yourself in advance or plan on buying them locally. Or, you can always check a bag. :) As to a bag, the PSO and after shave balm go in the quart sized baggie and everything else just goes in my suitcase (except the razor which I keep handy so I can easily put it in the change basket to run through the scanner.)

10. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I take a small travel brush that I sanded down to fit in a travel tube, a shave stick and a Parker soap travel size, I have a Utopia razor and leather case that I leave in my dopp bag. Over the years I've collected small after shave lotion, alum block, ect. To keep in the travel kit as well. I put the dopp bag in checked luggage, less hassle.

11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Well because of the manufactured chaos and manufactured hysteria I refuse to fly. The TSA is a joke. I do agree with having to show ID to travel into Mexico and or Canada, I also feel that if I need to show a Photo ID to cash a check I will do it. To vote the same. But I do not like being told that I can't carry a pocket knife or a screwdriver or a pair of tweezers, because of manufacture hysteria/chaos. Sorry for the rant and sorry for going off the subject. :signs081:

As to what I carry when I travel. I usually take one brush,"Oscar 11" Custom 24/48mm TGN Super Finest Black & White Resin Handle ** {This is my Favorite Travel Brush & Most Cherished} and I take one of my shaving mugs. I will also pack one of my DE/SS Razors usually my Weber 3pc. S/S Polished Head 85 mm Classic Handle or A 1967 M-3 Gillette Knack TTO/DE and a couple of packs of Wilkinson Sword Razor Blades. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Keithmax, wristwatchb, twhite and 3 others like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I can't see why...how do you spell simplicity again?

13. RetLEO-07

You are correct.

mrchick and Karl G like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

Having originally lived and worked 35 miles from WTC and watching them burn and collapse from the roof of my PD, I don't think I'd use the words "manufactured hysteria" within hearing of anyone who was/is living in the NYC Metropolitian area after 9/11. Youse might have a problem.

gadabout, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If I am going to shave 125-150 nights a year in a hotel bathroom, I am gonna do it as right as I can.

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I fly a lot. If I don't want to check bags, I take a Trac II cartridge razor with me. I have small travel containers for aftershaves and colognes. I use a synthetic brush, because it dries quickly.

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have a vitamin bottle that has holes drilled in the top to hold an Arko stick.

I check my bags with my R41 stored in a razor box with a flip top that I got from shoebox shave shop.

My beloved Chubbz 1 brush is a short Rubberset handle that sits in another flip box with blades stored inside.

I usually take a small bottle of Skin Bracer Blue, other times I take some Anherb asg.

I have gotten through the TSA check several times with a Schick G, loaded with a blade.

mrchick likes this.
  18. RetLEO-07

Just bustin' on ya :shocked003:

PickledNorthern likes this.
  19. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

How about a bic single edge disposable or the like? Considering for a very short 2 days trip where sending blades isn't worth it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

jsw41 likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't fly anymore. I haven't since about 2003. I usually take whatever razor I am using at the time and put it in my leather case. I have several travel tech that I could use, but don't. I take one of my synthetics that will fit in a medicine bottle. I also take one of my stick soaps like Arko. Then I have travel bottles of WH and AS. I have a dopp kit that I can get it all in. I like shaving on the road.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Keithmax, wristwatchb, PLAla and 9 others like this.