What have I got here?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misha, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Misha

Misha New Member

No really, what have I got here.

I have two DE's, both Gillettes, that i bought.
    One through a Dutch version of Craigslist/Ebay and one from a small antique storage.
    The only thing is I have no idea (well almost) what they are!?!?
    And i was hoping you could tell me a little bit more about them.

The first reads:

Gillette
    Made in England
    Brit. Pat. 69493

So from that last bit of info I know it's a "Rocket". It's my daily, and its okay, real smooth and soft on the skin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second:

I have no idea what it is or when it was made. It's pre-WWII, but other than that... Oh, and it does not look like it was used at all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was hoping y'all would know what these are, because it's driving me nuts with curiosity!

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

That handle looks funny somehow. Not thick enough or something.

Not sure, the first is a rocket I believe. The second looks kinda odd.

3. Misha

Misha New Member

I think the second might be a travel sized one.

The handle is really as thick as can be, for the case. It fits snugly if you close the lid.
    I've seen ones that look a little like it only with a bulbous foot (end).

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the first is actually a french superspeed (i think). unusual and cool find.

i have no clue about the other one.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Is the second an old type? Check the thickness of the blades it came with with a newer blade. If the blades it came with are thick, than its most likely an old type (if theyre origional blades)

6. Misha

Misha New Member

I checked the blades, there the same thickness as my new blades (Gillette Super Silver). BUT I don't think they're the original blades that came with the razor. Actually I'm quite sure, because one might assume that Gillette razors, come with Gillette blades.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Oh? What makes it French? Definately a flare tip rocket, or "Regular" as Gillette called them.

The second is definately an Old, but I agree with the people who said that the handle is unusual. It may be a mismatch, or it may just be a different handle I haven't seen around before. Looks like a vintage Merkur style.

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Than its probably one of the many variations of the new/tech. As long as the blades fit in with out a shim and its a 3pc razor, I'd go with that.

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the little area above the flare TTO thingie and the patent no.

im pretty sure thats what it is.

10. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I agree. The head is definitely an Old Type. Note the curved base plate. The later New Improved, the only other major type, had a flattened base plate and News and Techs lost the peg retainers and went with the slot and bar. The handle appears to be a Standard, but the Standard I have has the base plate handle.

11. Misha

Misha New Member

Base plate handle? You've got to help me out here? I'm just a noob :ashamed001

Got any pics?

Edit: And how old is an old type?

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Insert Python quote here: :)

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Here you go. See how the base plate is part of the handle? The Old Types sowed up in 1904 and ran in various forms into the early 1920's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Misha

Misha New Member

Ahhh I see.

I have seen this handle before (on various sites like ebay)

But I noticed some strong differences.

1. The bottom part of the handle is thicker than the rest of the handle
    2. It's open on the bottom, mine is not (it has a slightly rounded bottom).
    3. There is some engraving (patent. no.) on the handle.

And of course that its a different kind of 3 piece.

AAAAHHH it's driving me nuts!

Edit: Also note the difference in the engraving of the production location. (I'm assuming here that yours is an old type)

Yours reads "IN U.S.A."
    Mine "Made in U.S.A." Not fully capitalized.
    They seem to be of a different font type, and different letter spacing as well.

I repeat: "AAAAHHH this is driving me nuts!"

Attached Files:

15. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Look on the top of the base plate. See if there is a serial number. It should be 7 characters long with the first being a letter and the next six numbers.

Example: C573592

Oh, and mine does have a "MADE" it is just worn.

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The first razor is, like you theorized and Rodd said, a flare tip Rocket. Very well built shavers. The second is a strange one. The head is an American old type and the handle looks like it's from an English Tech or NEW.

Here's a similiar handle on a British Tech. I was told it may be a mismatch on this set and could be from a "made in England" NEW.

[​IMG]

17. Misha

Misha New Member

@ AsylumGuido

No serial, no nothing... :confused:

@ MTgrayling

Thats much more like it, only still completely different :(

1. Notice how the girt is different then the rest of the handle, mine is totally the same girth.
    2. On my handle, the girt of the hourglass shaped thing starts out the same as the part noticed in point 1, its just interrupted by a "ring". Your handle starts of thicker.
    3. My hourglass shaped thingy is totally equal on both sides (mirrored) and is capped of by a ring.
    4. My end is closed, and rounded (a slight curved end)

I have to say, thanks for helping me out everyone!
    I hope I can figure out what it is. (Isn't there some all knowing one? A DE Joda or something? Lol)

Attached Files:

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Misha you are correct in that my Tech handle is open all the way through. My opinion is that you have an assemblage of razor parts that someone put together. I do wonder where that handle originated though?

19. Misha

Misha New Member

So you're saying, that i have an old type head with a differently aged handle that might even be from a different brand?

That would kinda suck I guess...

20. Misha

Misha New Member

I couldn't stand it, just had to give it a try.

Desinfected it, loaded up a fresh Gillette Super Silver blade and went at is.

First impression, much more aggressive than the Rocket. Much closer shave, quicker, no sense of skin irritation (yet...).

Got a mighty fine BBS shave with 1 WTG and 2 XTG (and some touch ups).
    Unlike the Rocket which needed 2 WTG, 2 XTG, some ATG and many touch ups.

Only about 5 min later I got some massive razor burn. This is way too much for my inexperienced hands! (secretly I really loved the shave though! Bring on the razor burn! :whacky011)