What have I got here?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misha, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Misha

Misha New Member

Got more info on the first razor (from a German E-bay action, go figure):

(Fortunately my German is still pretty good)

So it's a Gillette TV-Special Regular Super-Speed Made in England in 1958.
    The TV-SS was only made in '58 and got it's name from intensive TV advertisements at sports events. It differs from other SS's, through the lack of the ribbed ring on the TTO-knob.

It's 60 grams and 8 centimeters.

Because it was only produced in '58 it's quite rare.
    And the British version (mine :D) is the rarest because of its low production numbers.

The differences (left the foot of an Eng. TV-SS and right that of an U.S. TV-SS)

[​IMG]

2. Misha

Misha New Member

The second razor's handle looks kinda like this one (only this is a TTO :mad:)
    Actually the the complete handle is identical, except for the collar.
    I've seen so many variations of old Gillette handles (and Merkur as well) on E-bay that I am quite sure that it is indeed an original Gillette.
    The date I am just not sure off.

Attached Files:

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sorry to tell you yours is not a TV. Notice that the TV does not have any horizontal lines through the knurling. Yours is a Flare tip Rocket.

[​IMG]

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i stand by my french statement.

::kar

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I still want to know what makes you think it is French. I did not know that the French sets were different than any other Flare Tip Rocket except for the cases and the instructions they came with. If you know something I don't, I would love to hear it. (my FT rockets both have patent number of 694093, but I am guessing the missing 0 was a typo)

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

mr.razor

thats all.

hahahaha.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

OK, I get that you saw this picture, it looks the same and has the same patent number, but I am almost positive that the French one is only different because it has a different case and instructions. The razor above could certainly be a French one, but I don't think there is anything that identifies it as French. It is the same as every other FT Rocket.
    edit: the 2 FT rockets I have that look identical came from Canada, and from English speaking Canadians. ;)
    [​IMG]
    Notice (Made in England) :D

8. Misha

Misha New Member

Ok thats clear than.

It's a Flare Tip Rocket. I was not paying enough attention, late last night (past 1 am here), my apologies.
    But at least I got to show of my German :happy102

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

That's right. If it was actually manufactured in France it would have included a portable white flag. ;)

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Perhaps the funniest post ever? :happy102

12. Misha

Misha New Member

:happy097

Hahah you'r killing me!