Painting A Super Adjustable Handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

*NOTE* I would never sell a razor that was painted or replated in any manner without fully disclosing that fact.

I had really been wanting a long-handled Super Adjustable, and on a recent jaunt to some local antique stores, I found a pretty nice one for only 5 clams. Unfortunately, even though the nickel polished up pretty nicely, the handle looked fairly lousy, so I thought, "Why not paint it?" I just wanted it to look decent, but it ended up looking far better than I could have imagined. Here's the pictorial of how it all went down...

In its original state...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some careful masking...
    [​IMG]

After a nice coat of gloss black arcrylic followed by a high gloss enamel clear coat...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A comparison to an original condition short-handled Super...
    [​IMG]

Which one's which? Hard to tell, huh?
    [​IMG]

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That turned out well. Good job. I may have to touch up my long handled shaver now.

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Looks good, Rick. My SA has become my favorite razor (after the M3 anyway! :happy102)

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Send me all your M3's and I'll give them free paint jobs! They'll look really nice! :D

5. apswartz

apswartz New Member

How does the paint work on all of that plastic!?

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Arcrylic seems to stick to anything.

7. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

Is that a can of spray, or did you mix it and use something like an airbush?

Looks great by the way. You did a very good job.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Inexpensive spray paint from the hardware store.

9. xChris

xChris Member

Great idea -- thanks for posting it! I have a long-handled SA as well that could be helped with this treatment.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Those look like the metal versions, I think there were plastic handled ones later. Looks great. Nice work!

Time for a story... I bought a super on ebay. I had one already, but it showed wear in the black, so I was looking for a nicer one. I found one on ebay that looked nice from the terrible pictures, so I asked the seller if there was any wear to the black area of the handle. He said no, it is all good...
    He was a liar
    I received my razor literally colored with a permanent marker. You could totally tell, and he did a bad job, there were actually marks from where he bumped the adjuster with the marker.

This looks way better than marker. :happy102

11. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    A marker? :eek: Wow...

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Could've been worse. He could have used a crayon! :happy102