Biodiesel

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by sparky5693, Sep 20, 2008.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Wow, this is impressive.

Now I know why Bobby gets all the chicks ;)

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Cuz he smells like fried chicken?

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yep, chicks eat chicken too, you know :eatdrink020

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Nahhhh

Goes straight to the thighs!!!

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:happy102 :eek:

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy097

:eek:

I thought it was, "You are what you eat". So, wouldn't it go to the corresponding areas? :p

7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    You guys are too much.

8. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Chicken cologne anyone? :happy001

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy097

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Is this an inline heater? How does it work? Looks very neat!

[​IMG]

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

Very cool Bobby! Makes me wish I had a diesel vehicle so I could try this out myself......

My brother is going to get the same kind of setup you have as diesel was getting pretty expensive at $4.50 a gallon. :shocked003

13. sparky5693

Administrator
    It's actually the inline heater from a tank style water heater. They're very cheap, and just screw in. I'm running mine on 110 current, as opposed to it's normal 220. It can still heat 40 gallons up to 140F in about 30 minutes. If you look in the third pic, you can see where it screw in above the pumps, just trace the yellow wire. It has square tubing to offset the heat for a bit, until I felt the vinyl tubing was safe to use again.

It's very inexpensive, and replaceable in about 5 minutes. I don't think you have this style heater there, so if you need one, let me know.

Here's a link to a random one I found online. This one is larger than the one I used, but you get the idea.
    http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-598-water-heater-elements/water-heater-element--612311.aspx

14. sparky5693

Administrator
    I'm telling you man, it's the way to go. It's pretty time consuming until you get the hang of it, now it's nothing. Just be sure he can secure some decent waste oil.

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, we have such heaters here, but not at that price... For our electrical waterheaters they usually have 3x1.5KW etc... The prices I have found for replacement heater elements are 10x that! I'm certainly interested in a box of those ;)

16. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Sent out a bunch on enquiries about parts tonight... Hope to get started building soon! :p

17. bandit

bandit New Member

wow, this looks a bit complicated but i'm interested in making some biodiesel.

18. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Wow Bobby the Chemical Professor ! :happy096:signs107

I heard he was doing this and got updates all the time but I didnt know it was this cool ! I believe this guy is so handy he can do anything he wants.

this is something the Swedes would love they are like super Recycle lovers over there I admire Sweden so much for the way they treat nature and try to get the most out of the surroundings amazing what they do over there.

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Biodiesel is very much available here, we have commercial size plants and I can buy it commercially at atleast one petrol-station locally.

20. sparky5693

Administrator
    It's nowhere near as complicated as it looks. I should rewrite this thread as a tutorial. When I wrote it originally, it was just to show a project I had been working on. My excitement carried over a bit much, and now it's not through enough to be a tutorial, but to much info to just be showing a project.

If you're handy, you can build a very simple but effective version of my processor using a hot water heater. There's complete plans for the model, and even kits, all over the place. It's called an "appleseed reactor". If you're interested, let me know and i'll search up the plans for ya. The price of diesel is dropping some where I live, but it will never compare to the cost of bio, let alone the savings to the environment. Who would have thought my old oil furnace would be energy efficient. I was thinking about replacing it a year ago.

Chemical engineer :happy102 far from it my friend.

I've heard we have it too, but in all my travels, i've never seen it for sale.