Form vs Function

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DBart., Mar 13, 2017.

1. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I tried to do a little research and found that there is much love for the right brush and much praise for the top 4-5: Simpson, Thater, M&F, Paladin, Wolf Whiskers... and a few I am sure I am missing. Kent?

But are they really better than a low to medium silvertip? One that costs 40-60 bucks? I am not lumping synthetics or horse or boar into the mix as that is not apples to apples.

So, am I missing out on that perfect shave? Are my lathers suffering because I don't have a Chubby? Pun almost intended...
    Thanks in advance for the feedback.

RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No you're are not. ANY brush can whip up a great lather...even a small paint brush. Vis-a-vis your "Chubby" issue...well, there are other fora for that problem. ;)

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am thinking that Primo is right on spot. Although I have never used one of those high dollar brushes.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You're missing nothing.

5. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I will stick with my vie-long horse, semogue (non owners club) boar and my 3 home-made, hand turned, (2 silvertips from China) and 1 cashmere synth from Canada!

DesertTime and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011:

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have three brushes in my rotation. A Parker Silvertip(currently on hiatus), an Omega 6212 Silvertip and an Omega 10098 Boar. The 10098 is mostly a soap brush and the Silvertips are for creams.
    All three together probably cost as much as a Kent or a Chubby. There are many more guys that have more brush knowledge than I that can steer you in the right direction as far as a brush goes. Just my .02

Douglas Carey and DesertTime like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

No you're not missing anything, matter of fact you are saving money for other goodies.

DesertTime and DBart. like this.