Gillette tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by VintageModMan, Mar 15, 2017.

1. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

So last night. My wife was curious about the gillette tech razor I had received in the mail. She wanted to know how it was any different from a normal razor that we buy replaceable heads for at the store. So I offered to shave for her so she could watch. I had her at the first pass on my face through some really thick hair. It cut it clean off. Needless to say I have a convert she was amazed. She couldn't believe that people ever switched from that kind razor. Haha.

Who gets to buy more <-----this guy

Jayaruh Owners Club (JROC)

jimjo1031, Jim99, PanChango and 9 others like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife has been using a Fat Handle Tech for a couple years now. Had hers replated so it looks new.

HERM

PanChango, Jayaruh and VintageModMan like this.
  3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

You know, ladies often have to try several different razors before they get the perfect fit. Some prefer three piece while others TTO razors. It would be a shame if she didn't get to sample quite a few before selecting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VintageModMan likes this.
  4. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

My point....(to the bay it is) haha. I'm sure I'll pick up some more so that she has options.

Jayaruh Owners Club (JROC)

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's cool. You have a smart wife.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That right there is what I call a win win. Bully!!!

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

A tech is my daily driver too... Great shaver.

Congrats on getting the wife interested... Just watch out when she appropriates her favorites.

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If I tell my wife the history behind my razors, she gets interested in it and she's usually okay with my purchase after that. Of course I also have to offer it to her to try out.

Whatever work!

9. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Tech = Gateway drug!
    I have more Gillette Techs than any other style razor. Some of them are fantastic shavers. Keep up the good work OP!

10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive been trying to get my wife turned on to wet shaving for about a year now but she says my razor is scary and that she loves her pink disposables.

hamoncan likes this.
  11. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

Oh...I also received a Gillette Tech in the mail Wednesday (1957 year). Wow, it is my first vintage razor purchase, and it is quite a bit smaller than what I expected. That's okay. It is about the exact size of my Merkur 42C (1904) and also about the same weight. I have disinfected, cleaned and polished it but haven't shaved with it yet. The underside of the top plate is unplated brass, but it now shines after a Wright's metal polish. The Gillette logo is just visible on the top plate. Will put in a Silver Blue and take it for a spin in the next few days. I've heard it is a mild razor. That works very well for me when coupled with a sharp blade.

Jim99 likes this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The stock handles are problematic for my hands and I end up using a bulldog handle on all of my razors. A little bit of weight and grip seems to help in my opinion. Enjoy.

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have a 1957 Gillette Tech and it's a wonderful shaver. Mild it is, but very nice and comfortable shaves. Be sure to post up your results.

14. brit

brit in a box

i like all my techs with astra sp or gsb blades.awesome no drama shaves.

15. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Well done, pard! Vintage razors are definitely the way to go, at least for me.

16. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

The Tech was my first vintage DE and I absolutely love them. Perfectly mild and very efficient. In fact, the Fat Handled, Pre-War Gillette Tech (Triangular Holes) is the only one I exclusively use anymore. I've PIFed all my other DE's except for this one. I do have another Pre-War Tech as a backup, but I have found the perfect razor for my face. You can't beat the Tech. :)