Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Soooo....You have one for sale? :)

If it's a polished, I'm interested

2. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

The edges are rounded now. They still have an angular look, but they're not sharp.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks!!

4. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Count me in, please. Received my second/third(?) gen Blackbird with both SB and OC plates (machined) less than two weeks ago, bought second hand from a fella who couldnt' cope with it after having given it a very few shaves. Good on me :) Having shaved mostly with my Timeless and the KC the last few months, the BB quickly has taken center stage along with them, SB more so than OC, but I find it smooth, loud and most efficient.

Straight out of the mailbox here, and in an SOTD.

IMG_3954.JPG
    Snapseed.jpg

Fluffyskiador, ninjack and joshsmith like this.
  5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My BB with the OC plate is my go to razor.

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Love the OC plate

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fluffyskiador, Halvor and Troy M like this.
  7. joshsmith

joshsmith New Member

Which one shaves the best? I've read that the black oxide has tons of drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Straight razor dandy

9. Straight razor dandy

10. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

11. Straight razor dandy

I was lucky to be able to get mine from a guy who bought it from the original funded project. It has a 101mm handle and special stand. It also came with the BBB soap, but I PIFed that in the soap passaround.

IMG_20170316_140726.jpg

Fluffyskiador likes this.
  12. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

It only drags the first 5 - 10 shaves. I'm not sure if it's a technique thing or the oxide finish smoothing out, but I don't feel drag on mine anymore.

joshsmith likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Any of the unpolished models have a little drag. If used at the proper angle, drag is minimal. The proper angle is to ride the top edge of the curve, before it reaches the flat part of the top cap.

If you try to shave with it flat to the face, the leading edge of the guard bar will sweep away your lather, and the blade will be over exposed, making the shave very aggressive.

joshsmith likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have had both the machined and the black oxide. I found very little difference between the two. I found a little drag shaving uphill, especially if I was not paying attention to my angle. It was not anything much to complain about, imo. My biggest thought is that it is a razor that wants a fairly specific angle, and if that doesn't jive with your preferred style, then you aren't going to like it. Those people seem to be very much a minority.

15. Straight razor dandy

You found the original thread!!!!!

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Shane hasn't been on here to keep his vendor status active, and as a result, "his" vendor thread was shut down...Except this wasn't his vendor thread. I don't even know if he's posted on this thread.

It was an honest mistake, and it was quickly rectified. This thread was reactivated and the "other" BBB thread was merged with this one. Which must have been a pain in the posterior. Many thanks to the mod who took the time and trouble to do that.

Tjebbe, joshsmith and PickledNorthern like this.
  17. joshsmith

joshsmith New Member

I reached out to Shane and he told me that he uses all three razors to shave but that he has been reaching for the machined razor more. I'm trying to decide which one to grab when they're available this month. I want polished but the other two are gorgeous as well and the black oxide is supposed age in a unique way.

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I would recommend the regular machined finish. If you end up not liking the finish, you can spend some time (many hours) in front of the T.V. with fine grit sandpaper and steel wool to polish it yourself (which is what Shane claims to do). A polishing wheel will cut that time down to 15-30 minutes, but if you are not experienced in using one, I don't recommend that route.

I chose to go for a light polish on mine, which reduced, but not removed the machining marks. One of these days, I might fully polish it.

joshsmith likes this.
  19. joshsmith

joshsmith New Member

Sounds good, I will plan on getting the machined razor. Thank you for the feedback.

Fluffyskiador and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Took my polished BB on holiday. Mated with a RazoRock Halo titanium handle and Voskhod blade I had an amazing two pass removal of two days of travel growth.

clint64 and joshsmith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.