How do you do wet shave travel?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

I just used a Bic Metal disposable for the first time on a 1 day business trip. I can confirm that this is a great razor! I had no adjustment period whatsoever and found the angle easily. I typically use an R41 Weber Bulldog handle w Gillette Silver Blue. Of course this was going to be more mild but it was easy to use, smooth, and quite nice all around. Way better than a Mach 3, can still use your hard earned double edge techniques, and super cheap, I will be using these on short business trips from now on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

jsw41 and wristwatchb like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

If I am on a longer trip, I will pack a DE or two using the razor head cover @Drygulch made. I will keep a blade in the razor, so I don't usually have to worry about disposal. On shorter trips where I try to carry on, I use a disposable. I always bring some sort of soap, often a shave stick and a synthetic brush.

Does anyone know if you can carry on these razors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMEYI12/?tag=thshde-20
    I had a nurse shave some arm hair for a drug screen recently, and she used one of these. It had me thinking about getting some for travel purposes.

3. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

My guess is it depends on if the blade is removable. That seems to be the deciding factor on whether you can carry on but just a guess

Karl G likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I very frequently go to Alabama and Kentucky, and am fortunate enough to always be staying either at my parent's house or with a dear friend. They each keep a small box for me in their guest room. In each place I've stashed some DE blades, Adidas Dynamic Pulse As and a can of Barbasol. All I need to bring is my Alum, styptic and an empty shavette in my checked bag.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Was it hot?

Tell me more, but type slowly.....

Keithmax, EnglishChannel and Karl G like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

...And use purple lettering.

EnglishChannel and Karl G like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

It was hot. We have had an unseasonably warm winter here in Texas, and the AC wasn't working quite right. There were also several other guys all in line for the same treatment, so the room got hot.

Is that the hot you meant?

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097::eatdrink047:

Norcalnewb and EnglishChannel like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Norcalnewb, EnglishChannel and Karl G like this.
  10. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Hi mr chick
    Let me ask, if I'm flying, can I take Blades if I check the bag? Also, how safe is my razor if I Check it, I keep hearing about rummaging bags, don't know how true it is. I'm just curious if I can take all my gear as long as I check the bag instead of taking it as a carry on

Karl G likes this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes, you can check blades in your bag. I've been flying for thirty five years and always check my bag. I've yet to lose anything.

Karl G likes this.
  12. Marc Bagwell

Awesome! Thank you

Karl G, PickledNorthern and mrchick like this.
  13. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

If I'm flying within the US, I throw my straight razor in my checked luggage, or if I'm in a DE mood, I keep the razor in my carry-on, but keep the blades in my checked bag. I also keep shaving soap in a sealable can for traveling. Fortunately, my skin is not even remotely sensitive, so even though I have aftershave balms and stuff, I don't even bother to take them on the road.

If I'm traveling overseas, I don't take straight razors. I'm worried about luggage pilfering and being accused of some kind of weapon crime. That may sound crazy, but the last time I went to South Africa I was accused of fraud and twice had to bribe my way through airports. The last thing I want is people like that pulling out a straight razor and making up some BS accusation.

PickledNorthern and mrchick like this.
  14. Marc Bagwell

Wow! South Africa has really gone downhill when you have to bribe people just to get through the airport.

Karl G and mrchick like this.
  15. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

Just brought both my Gillette Metal disposable and checked old Mercur 34c on a trip. Hadn't used the 34c in a long time and thought it'd be fun to compare. I was surprised to find the Metal is actually more aggressive (but still mild). In hindsight I don't know how I ever shaved with the 34c. It is so mild! Albeit this is compared to my daily R41 with Bulldog but still.

I like the idea of traveling w a different kit for the sake of variety when on the road. But not a great go round at it this time. Promptly arrived home and put down a bbs R41 shave last night to set things straight

jsw41 and mrchick like this.
  16. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

This has been a concerning topic for me lately so I figured I'd share what I used to do vs what I'm doing in the future:

I used to carry on my DE only and check my blades, soap, mug, etc. As others have noted, my brush goes in a pill bottle and my soap was melted into a metal mug with a lid on it. My aftershave is a homemade concoction that is in a 3oz container.

NOW and in the future I will not be checking ANY bags. If it doesn't fit in a carry on, it doesn't go. So I bought some good disposables (I use one per trip and I promise, I feel dirty saying I purchased disposables), I picked up a plastic salsa bowl from Wal-Mart and roughed up the texture, and still pack my brush in a pill bottle. No more shaving soap, no more shaving mug, no more DE blades. I will shave with whatever soap they have at the hotel I'm staying at. It's not ideal but it's easily doable. I've been getting used to a variety of bar soaps, liquid soaps, shampoos, etc. in preparation. I did pick up a tube of creamo and filled a 3 oz container but I'm doing better with bar soap than creamo right now. And ESPECIALLY since I'm using bar soap as shaving cream, my aftershave concoction is along for the trip as it has coconut oil in it.

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'll reiterate what I've said before. The last few times I've traveled by plane, I still took a DE with me. I just stopped off at a drug store or grocery store and picked up a pack of blades. If I was going to a hotel, I picked up snacks and drink at the same time, because I didn't want to pay Stop-N-Rob prices. Most drug stores have at least one brand of blades (in the US). Rite-Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc.

Soap? I just used what was there, and didn't bother with a brush or canned cream. You could use conditioner if you wanted slick.

I _still_ wonder at all the weird lengths people will often go to in order to have the perfect shave while travelling. I just need to not look like a Hobo or Bindlestiff.

18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I usually take one or two DE razors with me. But being as I have been having problems with my hands I take a can of Edge Shaving Gel, One of my favorite brushes that was made by @oscar11 and I also take a Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide Razor W/Flexball. And my trusty Boot Camp Issued Razor and Two packs of Wilkinson Sword Blades.

19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I rarely travel but when I do I just hit the easy button and take my Trac II.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I still fly regularly conus and internationally and generally I have a razor that is my travel razor (works great, but looks like hell). While traveling I've used, Gillette flares; you get great shave and if stolen you can replace it for the cost of a couple cups of coffee. :eatdrink013: