Which blade for the Sterling Soaps Slant Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The blades I have on hand to put in it:
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow Sharp Edge
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Gillette Platinum
    Astra Green Platinum
    Derby - Extra "Super Stainless"
    Feather HI-Stainless
    Voskhod - Teflon Coated

Those are my current choices. You can also please recommend a blade for this that you think is the best which I don't own and I will maybe order it and test it out. I will be using this razor a lot this spring and summer.

LOOT likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Of the ones you have, the one you like most.
    Your face will tell you if it works well or not.

LOOT likes this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I say take one of each, stack 'em up, and try them all at once. Seems like it would fit right in with the modern view of shaving. :p

*this answer is purely sarcastic, and the poster is not responsible for any harm said comments could cause*

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Derby.

Serious as a heart attack. Start there. You don't need more blades, all of those labels will work.

5. Tim Spencer

I was thinking Voskhod. But if you're saying Derby, then this must be an aggressive shaver.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Derby is probably the smoothest of the blades you own. The suggestion was based on the razor's apparent geometry.

Honestly, any of those blades will work.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. Tim Spencer

I will start with your suggestion. You have more experience by far at this old-school shaving than I do. Derby it will be!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I own the exact same razor. Voskhods work Nicely in it.

9. Bama Samurai

Depending on the prep you employ and/or hair type you may eventually decide to use a sharper blade, but Derby should be nice and smooth while you are figuring out the best shave angle and all that jazz. Let us know what you find out!

10. Tim Spencer

That's what I was thinking too, but have put off using this razor until spring opened up. 'Now' is the time to use this gear. I will start with the Derby and then move next to Voskhod. From all the reviews on Voskhod and on the reviews about slants my estimation is that these will pair very, very well together. (That was all 'theory' though. I'll find out soon enough which blades best with this on my face.)

RyX and Straight razor dandy like this.
  11. Tim Spencer

Hey Straight Razor Dandy,

The Stirling Slant seems to have about 2-3 twists at the end of the normal tightening which affects the angle of the blade. How much do you tighten the knob once you hit the first part of the final resistance? The blade angle is heavily affected by how tight the knob is turned and I have got to think this will affect the shave aggressiveness.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

If you turn it very far, it is as aggressive as a muhle r41... Seriously. I turn it until it gives resistance and then about another 1/4 turn...But no more.

RyX likes this.
  13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I would used Perma-Sharp Super as I get at least 7 smooth shaves on my RazoRock German 37 Slant (YMMV) as the head is very similar to a Merkur 37C and your Stirling Slant razor

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Pick one. Any one.

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Matters not, my friend. Close your eyes and pick one.

16. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I have been using the similar RazoRock German 37 slant every day since March 5th. Getting terrific results with the blades I've used so far. (Astra SP, Rapira LUX, Shark and Personna red). That little twist makes a world of difference. Keeps the blade more rigid.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  17. Tim Spencer

First slant shave was a success! I managed to shave and make it out with a smooth face and no cuts. This shave kit gave me the best shave so far. I'm really happy with the Turquoise setup I put together. Exceeded all my expectations.

18. Tim Spencer

Hmm. I have more blades to buy and try.