The Barberpole's Grandaddy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

If you have never seen one of these before, this is a 1921 model year of the Gillette Big Fellow razor from which I suspect Merkur got their idea for the Barberpole line. Although not quite as heavy or long as the Barberpoles, the Big Fellow is a very substantial razor that comes in a beautiful wood box. This is definitely one of the highlights of my collection!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Cool! First time I have seen the two side by side. I love the wood cases. :D

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the big fellow is literally the LAST gillette razor i think i want.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

This just in, Dave wants ALL Gillettes, and this will be the one to complete the collection.

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

dont say that, b/c then ill find other gillettes i want :laugh042

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

How about this one, Dave?

[​IMG]

If you really want a Big Fellow, here you go!

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

show off..haha.

hell no. the rarest razors in my collection have seen barely half of that buy it now total.

but thanks ;)

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

;)

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Ya know, once there were way over 1000 different manufacturers of DEs all over the world, I think the assumption of it being the inspiration for the barber pole razor is a _bit_ far stretched.
    A nice razor nonetheless and the case looks great!

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Maybe, but what other brand of safety razor was "Known The World Over" and established itself in so many countries? ;)

If you can produce a picture of a big razor like this that came out prior to 1919, then there could be some dispute. But has anybody else ever seen big razors like these? I sure haven't. Besides, how many Gillette knock-offs do you see today? Parkers and Weishis to name a few.