The Barrister and Mann Latha Series

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Wow! I had the joyous opportunity to shave with the Barrister and Mann Latha series tonight. It is the first Barrister and Mann product I've had pleasure to ever try. I ordered the Unscented as I'm darn near allergic to every fragrance oil I've tried. This was the first unscented soap I've tried that truly was "unscented." It honesty had zero scent - none of the funky tallow or stearate smell - just nothing. Like lathering a luscious cloud.

Barrister and Mann.jpg

Now, the performance: 10/10. It was probably one of the best soaps I've tried to date. Super easy to lather with my Omega Pro 49. I always load heavy with every soap I use, so I loaded for about 45 seconds to a minute. This is a fairly thirsty soap, but I dialed it in within a minute. The soap proceed to produce an amazingly rich, slick, protective lather that had a radiant sheen to it. And this stuff was super slick - the slickest soap I've ever had the chance to shave with. My replated, Pre-War Gillette Tech/Personna Lab Blue slid across my face with absolute ease. I was even able to go against the grain! I've rarely had a slickness like that. The cushion was better than that of Cella and Valobra (and that's saying something because those are "desert island" soaps.). I'd even rank this up there with Stirling. It was that good for my face.

The face feel afterwards is also where this soap shines bright. Again, this rivals the moisturizing and qualities of my favorites, Cella and Valobra. I didn't even need to use any aftershave balm. I washed my face off with some cool water then finished it witch hazel and Osage Rub. My face is so incredibly smooth and my wife hasn't been able to stop nuzzling and stroking it. :D

This is a soap I will always have on hand in my Den. This might even replace the reigning champs of the desert island soap challenge. I'm in absolute awe of how good this shave was. I honestly think this might have been the best shave I've had in my 6+ years of wet shaving. :happy108:

I love soaps with simple, pure ingredients without much preservative use and this soap hits that mark for me perfectly as well.

Ingredients
    : Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Argania spinosa (Argan) Oil, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Lactate, Tocopherol Acetate

Has anyone used it before? Thoughts?

2. bleddybear

bleddybear Member

Yes B&M Latha is awesome! I love the original black label scent and the Le Petit Chypre. Some of the best soap I've tried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

B&M soaps are top notch. I have only tried his glissant soaps but I have three of them and I like them a lot.

4. Legend In My Spare Time

Another fantastic shave with the Latha soap. The face feel afterwards is almost that of Stirling's. I honestly had no idea a lather could be so rich and creamy. I'm almost tempted to taste it, but I remember that Cella experience, haha.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I've got a tub of the original black label. The performance is great, but I am not a fan of the scent. When I use this one up, I will likely look to try one of the new scents available.

6. Maineac

Maineac Member

I have got the Taiga. The soap lathers easily and the scent is like a Balsam fir tree. Very nice!

7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree - Barrister & Mann make a great soap. I have four now - see below. The Latha series is excellent but they also have their "regular" line. I have one in Bay Rum. I especially like these soaps because they lather very well even with the hard water I have from my well. I'll be adding more scents over time.
    Barrister & Mann.jpg

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Latha is great. I haven't used a B&M soap I didn't like.

9. Legend In My Spare Time

Another shave, another Barrister & Mann Latha. This soap is getting too good for me to put down. I've been eyeing the Oceana after reading so many glowing reviews of it. Has anyone tried that scent yet?

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

IMG_20170322_222114.jpg Screenshot_20170322-222146.png

Barrister and Mann is easily one of the best soaps on the market. They are the most sought after as well, due to limited productions and superior performance as well. Their glissant soaps are the best, but the latha line is also incredible.

Google "history of barrister and mann" and thank me later.

11. Straight razor dandy

Here
    Oceana has a scent list of aqua, bergamot, sandalwood, and Jasmine.
    Oceana is incredibly crisp. It is like a day at the beach.

Here is the official description:
    Light, clean aquatic that goes with everything. A scent that’s perfect for any time!

12. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

OK you have a problem hahaha. I have 4 B&M soaps love them all for different reasons. I have Latha Oceana, Bay rum, seville and Lavanille. By a long shot Lavanille is my favorite, but that scent is something that can't be explained. Within 3 days I went from wanting to throw it into the satanic compost pile it came out of... to one of my favorite scents from anyone ever. I couldn't understand what I was smelling until I added the aftershave splash. Something about the alcohol helped me sort it out.

13. Straight razor dandy

All of the latha soaps are exceptional. My favorite is probably the figgy puddin'. My least favorite, lavanda.

14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm going to be trying to add B&M on my to try list. Sounds like an excellent product line.

15. Legend In My Spare Time

Yet another shave with B&M Latha. I keep wanting to reach for my Cella, but I get drawn to this amazing soap every time now. I think water quality plays a huge part in it. I have reservoir water here in Western Massachusetts and it is fantastic. I don't know the hardness of it, but I can create the most wonderful lather with it. It comes out almost the same consistency as whipped yogurt - with more residual slickness than any soap I've ever tried.

Although, I am noticing I'm going through my tub surprisingly quick. I maybe have 12 shaves in on it and there is already a noticeable divot in the center. I do "load it like I hate it," usually a full 45 seconds, so that's probably why. I will be stockpiling this one for sure.

bleddybear likes this.
  16. Legend In My Spare Time

Again, another fantastic shave with my B&M. Great post shave feel and during the shave - silky smooth and protective. They are quickly becoming my favorite soap company out of all.

17. Legend In My Spare Time

One thing I've noticed regarding my B&M Latha is that it definitely gets used quickly. I've had less than a dozen shaves with this tub and I'm already seeing the bottom of it. I've never used a product up this quickly.

It is really soft soap and I load fairly heavily. I guess this will help me to purchase more Latha quicker. :p

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Wow - you must load your brush to the extreme. I have several Latha series soaps and use them fairly regularly. They are what I would call medium soft soaps but still I expect to get at least several dozen shaves or more out of each one.

19. Legend In My Spare Time

I do, lol. I load for an average of 60 seconds with my Omega Pro 49. That beast is a soap eater for sure. But, I always get the richest and most protective lathers from my extra loading. I'm so used to loading my Cella and other soft soaps that way; I might need to tone it down with this soap.

20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I find Cella (one of my favorites) to be even more soft. Some brushes do "eat" soap faster. My two boar brushes are that way. But they always produce great lather no matter the soap.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017