Don't drink and shave!!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 1976MGB, Mar 23, 2017.

1. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Title says it... I decided today to grab a couple drinks after work with a few friends. I rarely go out these days.. kids, work, etc. , So end of the Hockey season a few of us coaches had a couple.
    The kids are gone for the weekend, so I decided to grab a shower, shave and relax for the night. That's when things went a bit south!
    Lathered up, grabbed a Square point Clauss barbers special and started down on my left side burn/cheek area. I felt a bit of catching and slowing of the Blade, and thought " I know it's still sharp, I used it a couple days ago".... So I kept on going. " Man this blade is dragging I thought". Just then I could see the blood. A nice inch or so slice just where my ear meets my cheek.
    So as not to look half shaved, I grabbed my DE and did a one pass shave, the while time thinking "YOU IDIOT!"
    YMMV, but it didn't work out for me!
    Lesson learned!

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Wow I hope it is not too deep. You will need to post pictures. @mrchick hast he best scar so far.

Tom

Billyfergie, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  3. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Been playing hockey and motorcycle racing all my life, probably the smallest scar recently!!

Just got 7 stitches and a broken nose coaching u12 hockey this year!

Plus camera pics are too large and I'm technically challenged...

4. ColbyBreithaupt

ColbyBreithaupt Active Member

I 100% did not laugh when I read this...

On a more serious note, I hope you aren't badly injured. The DE is a much better way to shave while impaired as I've done that a few times with no problems.

Billyfergie, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I wanna see

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The story is a classic, I hope you heal quickly. If I ever entertain the thought of straight razor shaving while drunk I hope I remember your story.

7. brit

brit in a box

:eatdrink047::poze:impaired means less irritation!!!!!

twhite, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Ok, here's the deal: I work evenings and tend to stay up late...Where I often enjoy a drink or ten, and then shave.

If you must drink and shave, you need to have a great cushioning soap, a mild razor (Edwin Jagger de89 or a Gillette tech will do), and a nice Aftershave. Never...I repeat, NEVER use a straight razor.
    Heed my advice...Or just don't shave and drink. Whatever.

twhite, Billyfergie, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  9. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

WOW
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that they shoulda stopped sooner (but didn't) when doing foolish things.

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I clicked on this thread hoping for pictures. A bit disappointed.

twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

How did you finally get even with those pranksters? /snicker snicker snicker

13. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Yeah, photos weren't the first thing on my mind... Sorry about that, grabbed my styptic pencil, stopped the bleeding a bit, then did my best not to let the wife see. She's already pretty sure I am an idiot!

I recently got 3 teeth knocked out and 17 stitches playing hockey.. all because I didn't wear a face cage, so I try to keep my stupid decisions on the DL..

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  14. richgem

So ... what you're sayin' is that a shaving cut is the least of your problems.... ;)

twhite and JohnDB like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Drinking and shaving? Never crossed my mind.
    Feb 3, 2017.jpg

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I guess the ultimate would be drinking Guinness and shaving with Mickey Lee Soap works drunken goat.

twhite and mrchick like this.
  19. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

I must have mad skills. I shaved several times while half tanked, and still drinking, and nothing terrible happened. I may have hacked off a few whiskers from my beard, but no bloodshed.

20. richgem

And ... you just jinxed it.

@The Fox any relation to @Erik Redd ?

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and The Fox like this.