The "I just got this razor, what's it worth and where can I sell it?" thread.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dridecker, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Unis

Unis Active Member

Found this guy today at an antique store. It was the only razor they had and I never had an open comb so I figured what the hell. Pictures are before and after polishing, it really cleaned up nicely especially compared to the condition it was in. Only one nick on the side and some wear on the bottom of the handle but other then that it's in good shape.

Does anybody know what I have here? There's no markings on it except for a serial number on the open comb part of the head reading PC 47205. Unfortunately no box came with it :/[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Adonis likes this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

OK, I hope this is the right place for this. Stopped at an estate sale today and picked up this 1958 Super Speed (D1). But I noticed the knurling on the handle is not the regular super speed knurling. It came with a red plastic case. I think this a '58 TV Special? Needs cleaned up a bit. Not worried about worth, just want it properly identified.

upload_2014-8-2_14-31-27.png

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm no expert, but it might be a 1920's pocket edition. Google "Mr Razor" and check the razor database - old type.

4. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

"It's not worth much - but you can sell it to me" :)

5. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I'll take it off of your hands if you pay me $10.00 lol

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  6. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I believe it's a WW2 tech.. Unsure about price though, it does have some wear
    [​IMG]

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

After I got two of these I started looking more into prices for the Gillette Single Ring razors and it seems like the going bay-price is, roughly, on average about $30 for a razor in good condition.

I'm surprised at that relatively low price point for such a classic razor. One of mine is from 1908 so we are talking very early Gillette history.
    Then again...I don't really mind that they are fetching a lower price as I might try to get another one depending on how these clean up.

I think they are beautiful razors. Much smaller than I thought but with great weight to them.

[​IMG]

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I found them to be smaller than expected as well. They are elegant though, aren't they?

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very! :)
    Yeah, I thought they were going to be like a Big Boy/Big Fellow size for some reason but they are more of the size of a NEW I think.
    They look and feel fantastic though.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very cool razors! nice photo as well. :happy088:
    Those early OCs are supposedly great shavers—but do have a tendency to bite.

11. natal000

natal000 Active Member

I collect safety razors as a hobby and have about 50 most of which are vintage Gillette razors. Finding what they are worth is nearly impossible because of desirability and scarcity of certain razors. Condition goes a long way on how much someone is willing to pay for a razor. There are some rare military sets from Gillette that are always in demand and the more complete the set the better. Also, Gillette Toggle Adjustable as well as bottom dial and Red Dot Fatboys are also in demand and sell for high prices compared to the more common Gillettes. Check eBay for a couple of months at least and even Etsy and you will get a better idea of worth. Be very careful who you buy from as there are sellers who have razors re-plated and try to pass them off as "Mint". If something seems to good to be true it usually is. Hope this helps.

12. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

I own many vintage razors, over 20 years of DE shaving, and one constant is the fact that value is subjective, and it is up to the individual who wishes to purchase how much they are willing to pay.

I don't get tangle in "how much is this worth" conversations because most if the time they don't end well.

In one corner, you have the fanatics that think they can retire on razors alone, so they get bend out of shape when someone question their wisdom and value of their so called investment.

On the other corner, you have the guy that sees this as a pure hobby, and gets offended when you tell them, as it is in my case, this is just part of a cool lifestyle.

Having said that, where can I get some cheap used razors?:)

13. RACER&RAZORS

RACER&RAZORS New Member

Well said.. I have seen sellers pushing minty razors and then the buyer finds out is a good re plate job.. Not Cool! There are some collectors out there who probably could retire on there razor collections.I myself have a collection..but have tons of daily drivers and many nos sets. It's all it what floats your boat in my opinion. Enjoy what you have and how you choose to live.

14. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I collect old coffee pots 'cuz I like *good* coffee, plus they have a bit of historical coolness about them. Same with the razors I've got. Plus, since I gave my oldest grandson my collection of +400 coins from 108 different countries, I needed something to pass on to the other two kiddos. I'll let them fight over who gets what.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I don't have this, yet, but is this an early type travel razor? s-l1600.jpg

16. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Women's razor.
    Milady Decollette.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Thank you

Billy Goatee likes this.
  18. N3Z4

N3Z4 New Member

Gentlemen,

I've got a Wilkinson Kompakt Design Gold (in its box) from an old friend. Since I don't really use cartridge razors would be more than happy to know wheter it has a demand for this kind of caviar. So how much could it worth?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance, have a nice Sunday!

Oliver

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Just a suggestion, you might go back to the beginning of this thread and read a bit.

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The gold Kompak doesn't come up often.
    If its NIB you could probably expect about $25 on a 'bad' day and up to $50-60 if it catches the right people's attention.
    Its a very good razor btw.