Musings on an Unsung Hero: Schick Krona

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dustmite, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The Kronies

RyX likes this.
  2. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Must... Resist... Enabling...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Glasstream15, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

PM me with shipping details. I got a razor for you... Only terms are promise to use it once or twice and write it up for us in the safety razor forum, start a thread for it. It's a modern TTO that is similar to the Krona in some ways, and I would like you to have it and check it out. Game on?

4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Awesome gesture! Bravo, @Bama Samurai!

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

@dustmite, I am having the same type of experience. The Krona/GSB combo is awesome. I'm only three shaves in, and I keep thinking that I should just go with the GSB and be done with it. I really want to see how the Voskhod performs though. Nice dilemma to have, huh!

dustmite, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I haven't found a blade yet that the Krona doesn't like! Feather, Voskhod, two different 7 o'clock blades, Rapira.... It's just a great razor!

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

Good to hear. I've got everything but the Rapira. So I guess we'll see.

dustmite likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i will try a krona eventually,still like my rockets and other gillettes right now.the british ones are historically important to me as well.just like my mustang; i have owned and driven better cars, but i like it the most even with its flaws.i own one se razor and haven t tried it yet,so i can t compare as of yet...

9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

When I first got my Krona (and the included Plus-Platinum blades), I thought I had achieved Nirvana. Contrary to being awkward, the long handle actually balanced it better than I could have imagined. Well, tonight, in one of my "What's it gonna be this time?" moods, I stuck an equally vintage Gillette Platinum Plus in my '49 Super Speed. Same prep, same soap & brush as with the Krona (Williams and the Strong Set boar). Seems to be as great as the Krona combo, 'pert near BBS. More research is required.

RetLEO-07 and dustmite like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

Well, we're past the midway point of the first blade audition for what I now know is a 1966 Schick Krona(h/t to my good friends on the 30DC). My baseline blade, the Gillette Silver Blue is performing like, well, my baseline blade. The next couple will be the Voskhod and the Shark Super Chrome. I am anticipating more fantastic shaves.

dustmite likes this.
  11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Rather than start my own thread, I decided to resurrect this one (out of a half a dozen in the last six months).

As I was going back to the predictable Astra SP, I picked up one of the two Kronas I own (black plastic tip), and had a three day shave with it last night. After the discomfort of the SuperMax, it was a relief, to be sure. It took a couple of short strokes to hit the right angle for the Krona, as I've been using SuperSpeeds, but once that was done, it was a smooth shave, even with three days of growth. Even going ATG on the corrugations of the neck was nice and smooth (okay, it bumped a bit, but still far less than previous blades), and I needed no aftercare. I give the Krona a good review, and anyone that needs a slightly longer handle for comfort should look at it. For me, the handle was the only thing slightly uncomfortable, as despite having a longer handle, it felt like it was head-heavy compared to the various Gillettes and Gillette clones.

So, Arko, Astra SP, and Krona - good combination.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    A fine combination indeed.

13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I've just made the switch to DE razors and traditional prep, and one of my friends came by the other night and just gave me one of these. He said he doesn't use it and it was cheap. I immediately dismissed it as not being worth using but thanked him for the blades and cream he'd donated too. May have to think again reading this...

dustmite likes this.
  14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

My money says by the time you finish the first shave, you will have formed a new and overwhelmingly positive opinion :) Kronas are superior shavers, in spite of their pedestrian appearance. It was a chance outing with a Krona that convinced my I could get great shaves with a DE and to put aside my straights for a while. You're gonna love it.

Dansco likes this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it now :eatdrink047:

entropy1049 likes this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I love the Krona. Unfortunately the eagle came off of the tto knob. I also have a spare in case something ever happens to my current one. Did I say I love it?

sdguero, RetLEO-07 and Dansco like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

IMG_0536.JPG
    There are many Krona's but this one is mine...I must master my Krona like I must master my life...

BigMark83, sdguero, dustmite and 3 others like this.
  18. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I found this Schick Krona gift set in an antique store a few months ago. The travel case is in mint condition.... still had the instructions for using it. Also came with a can of Schick Hot Lather shave cream which feels full. I don't think the razor got a lot of use. It didn't take much effort to get it cleaned up for my use. I had not used the Krona for quite some time so I'm glad about this thread. It prompted me to put it to use this morning.

PS... the Gillette blue blades happened to be in the travel case when I bought it.

DSCF2836.JPG DSCF2837.JPG

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've had a Krona for a long time, I believe it's one of @Ryan B favorites, I bought it on his stellar remarks. It's a great razor that definitely doesn't get the hype or credit it deserves.

dustmite and jmudrick like this.
  20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Second shave was good as well. I believe I removed a pimple I didn't even know was there - I didn't notice it until after the shave was done, it was that quick and painless. (definitely not a nick, weeper, or abrasion. Just a roundish hole.)

The flat angles are what are taking a bit more to get used to than the rest of it, and it still feels head-heavy to me.

Linuxguile likes this.