Safety Razor Daily Shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Xtrimblades, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

Member of this awesome forum from few days, But was busy with personal stuff so didn't really got time to post here which m very curious. So here my query below.
    Just Wondering Safety Razor good for Shaving Daily? recently i started shaving Daily with My old Safety Razor with new "Gillette 7 'O clock platinium Blade" . any suggestion of any good blades? Names are welcome:)

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Any razor that gives you a good shave is a good razor for daily shaving.
    As for blades, the best recommendation I can give is to order a sample pack.

Bama Samurai, RyX, RetLEO-07 and 2 others like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I use my DE razor every day, usually shaving in the evenings. There's no reason not to, unless you don't like to shave daily. The Gillette 7 O'clocks are decent blades. However, once your technique is good, you will be able to get a good shave out of most blades.

Sent via mobile

Xtrimblades likes this.
  4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Any razor that gives you a good shave can be used everyday. I shave everyday with my R41 which some people think is too aggressive for everyday shaving but I never have any problems. Once you get technique mastered you can shave everyday with anything and not have any issues. But, if your new to safety shaving, start with something like a 34C or something mild like that.

As far as blades go, @swarden43 had a solid recommendation with the blade sampler. It allows you to try multiple blades. But you should realize pretty quickly which blades work for you and which ones don't.

Xtrimblades likes this.
  5. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

How about shaving cream or shaving foam? m using Vjohn foam. is using foam consider a acceptable with DE? i have sensitive skin, before i sue to use brush with shaving cream to lather up, that lead me in having rough skin :O

6. lightcs1776

Anything that works for you is acceptable as far as I am concerned. I like shaving soaps best simply because soaps such as Haslinger leave my face feeling more moisturized. There are some great creams out there as well. However, if you like the foam you are using, then you certainly don't need to change it.

Sent via mobile

RetLEO-07 and Xtrimblades like this.
  7. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

Thank you for helping me out my queries, don't mind if i ask you one? since how long u shaving with DE? just curious! cos Shaving with DE gives some manliness feelings :)

RyX likes this.
  8. lightcs1776

That's funny. I've been using a DE for less than a year, but shaving for decades (getting close to 50, which makes me a youngster here - grin). I like old hand tools so DE shaving just fits for me. Plus I would get ingrown hairs with a cartridge razor.

Sent via mobile

Xtrimblades likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I also agree with getting a blade sampler, possibly from tryablade.com or eBay.

My favorite blades are Astra SP, Rapira, voskhods, Gillette silver blues, and Gillette yellows...But technique Trump's all.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

Are you in daily shave with DE? te blades you mention, which you currently using? how the feels with those blades? and you shaving with hot or cold water?

11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I shave daily with safety razors and sometimes straight razors (I wish I did more SR shaves, but I don't seem to have the time lately). All of those blades are smooth, sharp, and have good longevity...Which are the specific qualities I look for in blades. I shave mostly with cold water since I live in Texas, where it is hot for 11 1/2 months a year.

Xtrimblades likes this.
  12. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

Yea, Definitely will give a try on different blades too.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bama Samurai and Xtrimblades like this.
  14. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I find DE razors so much better for shaving every day when compared to cartridge razors. I get a lot less irritation with them than I used to.

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

17. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

18. RetLEO-07

+1

19. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've used a DE or a straight razor almost every day for the last 8+ years (save when I've had to fly somewhere) with no problems whatsoever.

Blades are a very personal choice. I love Astra SP, Shark, and Derby, but that's just me. I'd suggest getting a sampler pack and finding what works best for you.

20. RetLEO-07

My three go to blades are Shark Super Chrome(EJ DE89BL), Voskhod(SA-109), Gillette Silver Blue(Gillette NEW Short Comb). They work good in those razors and on my face. Your Mileage May Vary.
    Good luck.
    Once you get your blade sampler come on over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread to audition them in your razor. Your technique will also improve.

RyX and Xtrimblades like this.