3pc DE Aggressive Razor Fundamentals - "Riding the cap"

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 27, 2016.

?

How do you like your razor?

1. Mild and smooth

64 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Aggressive and efficient

45 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. With two lumps and a biscuit...

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Doesn't matter, Techniques Trump Tools!!!

51 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The cool thing about aggressive razors is that you can tune your shave by playing with the shaving angle (not with pressure, IMO). For a starter, riding the cap is excellent advice.

Bama Samurai and brit like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Been "riding the cap" since the second week I was here at TSD.
    Best piece of advice ever :smiley respect:

3. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I ride the cap on every new razor until I'm familiar with it and then experiment with the angle a bit. This is the best advise for a novice DE, SE, shaver. The next best tip came from Mantic59. Beard reduction passes, not elimination.

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Oh yeah, I've been riding the cap since I started on TSD!!!

Oh wait, that is only 3 weeks ago ;)
    I did not know about Riding the Cap before then. Only started DE shaving Feb 1!!! LOL

wchnu, ninjack, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. jsw41

jsw41 Member

2 weeks ago, I read Bama's 'ride the cap' technique, and I've been learning how to do it. I need more practice, it's not easy for me to unlearn the scraping technique, my face is like hills and valleys, always a change of attack. You might think its easy to get the 15-25 degree blade angle, you might think that all you have to do is set the handle 15-25 degrees off vertical to your face, but it's subtly not just that, because the blade is bent slightly downward toward the comb or bar, so you have to modify slightly and you have to follow all of the hills and valleys. When your face is smooth and very little sting from after shave balm, you are on the right track. Thanks Bama Samurai.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Great post.

Bama Samurai, Linuxguile and jsw41 like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You're most welcome and thank you for your good words. So glad to see you were able to use the technique to maximize your experience!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    jsw41 likes this.
  8. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Using a shallow angle is what works best for me. No matter what razor I'm using as long as I use a shallow angle I'll have an effortless and irritation free shave. Good post. For newbies and veterans alike.

9. Cody Gearhart

Cody Gearhart Member

So this works for every de razor?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

I use it on every DE. It's a method to force the user into the minimum effective cutting angle, reducing the chance of scraping the skin. High angle blade scraping is far and away the leading cause of newbie irritation issues.

Eeyore, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  11. Cody Gearhart

Cody Gearhart Member

Post a picture of the proper angle?

12. Bama Samurai

By riding the cap, angle stays low like 24 degrees. 20-25 degrees, blade to skin, is ideal for most people. [​IMG]

13. Cody Gearhart

Cody Gearhart Member

It's lopsided lol and those 2 angles is sort of confusing. Maybe a different picture?

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have always done this also. Did not have a name for it though. Great job here pointed the folks along the path oh great mostly bald headed butter knife on side in bath robe one.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not gonna get better then that. Its more a by feel thing.

16. Bama Samurai

Just give the technique a try. ;-)

17. Bama Samurai

Thanks. I had stand still forever for that daguerrotype photo, and then wait for the photographer to hand color the powder blue. There was a Nuggets home game that night.

wchnu likes this.
  18. Cody Gearhart

Cody Gearhart Member

So for a steeper angle i need to raise the handle higher and shallow means lower the handle? And 25 degrees would be lifting the handle of the razor higher?

19. Bama Samurai

Relative to the picture, raising the handle (increasing the red angle) would lower the blade angle (in blue).

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

He did a good job.

MObigfoot and Bama Samurai like this.