The neck

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JohnDB, Apr 9, 2017.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Something must be off with my technique.

I can't seem to get my neck BBS.

Them hairs bug the stew out of me and I'm not sure what to do to get them lil things shaved off.

Now granted, I'm used to straight Razors with no curve. And I've finally gotten a great edge going on my Germania Cutlery Works blade (smiling blade) but neither seems to do the job. Even shavette blades don't do it...Nor do safety razors.

How do you get them shaved?

Keithmax, Karl G, twhite and 4 others like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have the same issue when I use my straights. The hairs on my neck grow from left to right all the way. So up and down passes do not give me BBS. I find a DE gets the job done easier with diagonal WTG and ATG strokes.

Karl G, JohnDB, twhite and 4 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Many of us don't try for BBS on the neck. I just do a single pass, and settle for DFS on the neck. I do two passes on the face and lower jaw/neck area, and get a BBS shave. If I go for BBS on the neck, I get ingrown hair, and irritation. Same with DE shaving.

Karl G, JohnDB, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

On occasion I'll use an injector to touch up after my str8 shaves.

Karl G, JohnDB, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I have Studied Martial Arts for Many Years..The Neck Area is Very Vulnerable by Most..A Man that is Not Comfortable with his Neck is a Walking Wreck & Most Men Cant Bear a Single Touch in the Neck..The Death Touch..Ta, Ta..A Man that has Mastered his Neck is Formidable..He has Mastered the Centre of the Universe..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, George X, JohnDB and 3 others like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I find that by making a pivoting motion with the SR, or scythe type motion, works well on my neck. When I do that as a north to south, and then south to north, I'm able to get most of the stubble from my neck.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Skin stretching and downward scything strokes with the off hand get it for me most of the time if I try hard enough. If I go for it and it doesn't quite get there, too bad, I'm not going to keep trying to hit the same spot over and over. It is smooth going up and down, and a few hours later it will need another shave anyway.

Jim99, Karl G, JohnDB and 3 others like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Skin stretching and using a " windshield wiper" type of stroke south to north with the off hand gives me the finish I crave:)

Jim99, Karl G, JohnDB and 3 others like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

+1 :signs011:

JohnDB and Spyder like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Diagonal scything xtg is my plan.

Always protect your neck....

JohnDB, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I do three passes on my neck, going in multiple directions. I can't maneuver a straight to the right angle to get a full ATG pass, so most days I settle for a DFS on the neck. Occasionally, I get a BBS.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, JohnDB and 2 others like this.
  13. rurmada

rurmada Member

After two passes with my SR i doa type of x strokes on my neck with my DE to get bbs

Billyfergie, JohnDB and Spyder like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I haven't touched my face with a de or se since the beginning of November:) I just can't bear the thought of it :shocked003:

Billyfergie and JohnDB like this.
  15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Stretch the skin in the opposite direct of the hair growth, move the blade in the opposite direction of the stretch or as close as possible..

Hint:
    The neck skin is very susceptible to pressure, shave the lather off, using the least pressure possible by attempting to only remove the lather with your passes.. Pressure will change the angle of attack so all that stretching and those contortions are for naught :(

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  16. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Well...That explains it.

When I put my newly honed "problem child" razor to my face Sunday I at first wasn't sure that it was Shaving. (No tugging whatsoever....Black arkies are awesome for razor honing).

But I got frustrated with neck stubble. I didn't want to slice my own neck...I wasn't that angry. I got no razor burn either even though I made some extra passes trying to get them hairs. (great hone) but I noticed that my angle of attack was all over the place too.

Between the curved blade and bad angle...It wasn't as close as I want.

Gonna take some time to get used to a curved blade. Straight shavette blades have no smile. (What I'm most used to)

Practice, Practice, Practice...

17. DaltonGang

I enjoy using a sharp smiling blade more, especially around the neck area. Most SR shavers, throughout the years, seem to gravitate towards a smiling blade. Frowning Blades, on the other hand, are Frowned Upon. :D

Billyfergie, Spyder and JohnDB like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Agreed. An old barbers tutorial on honing actually recommended deliberately honing towards a smiling blade.

Billyfergie and JohnDB like this.
  19. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I got over a BBS shave on my neck a long, long time ago. Diagonal passes don't produce BBS, nor does Up or Down. I need to traverse my neck and under chin area side to side. That's awkward and produces lots of irritation and anxiety over the potential of serious damage.

My cheeks and jawline will get BBS but trying to do it on my neck is not worth the irritation. Irritation sidelines LOOT's adjustables. LOOT's adjustables don't like to be sidelined.

Anyway, my BBS will grow to a DFS in a couple of hours. The reward is not worth the risk.

20. DaltonGang

I couldn't agree more.