First time recommendation for DE?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by djwurm, Sep 29, 2008.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I want to start using a DE or at least try one and I also dont want to break the bank so what are some good recommendations on a starter DE?

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Some of the more frequently recommended ones are a Gillette Super Speed or a Merkur Classic.

I don't know where to tell you the best place to purchase them are.

3. Oh.....I know, I know! It's the Merkur HD........without a doubt!

Hehe, sorry dj, I couldn't resist that broad sarcasm. I was only kidding around...(it's my nature). That razor IS supposed to be a good one, and is probably the one many people would recommend, so that's not the issue. It's just that each type of razor has their own charm, and there's lots to choose from for a first razor. None of em will run over $30-35, even for a brand new model.

There's a thread in the 'Shave School' section of the forum that's titled "Best First Razor?". That should give you some ideas on what you might try first. If you have any questions after reading that, I'd be happy to try and answer em.

Hope that helps with your confusion,
    Martin

4. daku

daku New Member

Weishi...

Are dirt cheap and not bad to learn on...

If you just want to dip the toe in the water, the $10 outset for one isn't really anything.

If you find you like it.. easy to buy something nicer from there. If not, well, you're only down a little money.

-pg

5. djwurm

djwurm New Member

thanks guys, will definitely look at each of those and decide.

6. Damon

Damon Member

The first question is how do you consider your beard to be is the hair easy to shave or hard?
    If it's easy I would recommend the Merkur classic, Gillette Tech or a 1950's to 1970's Super Speed,

If your beard is coarse I would recommend Merkur HD classic, Merkur Progress, Gillette Adjustable, and lastly a Gillette Super Speed red tip,

7. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Wow! a straightforward, simple answer. While I understand YMMV I really appreciate it. Thanks!

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would recommend a merkur HD. Its a good razor. Most people own one. Most people can relate to anything your saying and any problems your having it with any particular blade. I shaved with only that razor and feather blades for the first year I shaved with a DE and it tought me well. Now that I have a ton of razors I still go back to it most of the time. There are just to many variables in my own personal opinion with old razors to want to get your start with them.

Buy an HD and it will last you forever, as well we be one of your favorite razors.

9. djwurm

djwurm New Member

ok so I will get a merkur HD.. wheres the best place to buy one?

10. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I don't know a whole lot about razors, so I bought several inexpensive used ones recommended as beginner razors by a friend: a Rocket, a Superspeed, and a Tech, as well as several 5-packs of different blades. However, some of what I've read about trying out different blades seems to indicate that a blade that is horrible for me in one razor may be my favourite in another. How much of the shave depends on the blade, and how much on the razor? I'd thought that the razor itself mattered only in terms of balance and heft, and didn't affect the final shave so much.

11. apswartz

apswartz New Member

12. Damon

Damon Member

The best place to buy A Merkur is Westcoastshaving Tell John Damon sent you in the comment section of the checkout.
    Get a blade sampler pack to.

13. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Yeah, that's where I got mine AND the blade sampler pack :o

14. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would say google it and see wherever its cheapest and buy it.

15. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Hey! I think that IS what I said! ;)

16. Damon

Damon Member

I like to support members first because of service, also I know where my money is going and I know they contribute to our forum. I like when a vendor contributes when they can. I would rather see a member get my money than some unknown supply house, and I know I can return it with no problems if I have any issues with the product.

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

This is the best place and great service

http://www.leesrazors.com

Raf

18. Damon

Damon Member

an HD at leesrazor is 35 + shipping
    at Westcoast is 29 + shipping

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

so what...I'll rather give my money to Lee because I know I get quality service.
    And he is an established and highly respected vendor in the wetshaving community. So yes, I'll pay the few extra buck for quality service.

Raf

20. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

The quality of service with Lee and the ease of being able to deal with him really do make a huge difference. He is by far my favourite vendor and when I had issues with brushes not arriving he took good care of me and I never even thought about being out in the cold.

So a big +1, extra service = worth a few measly dollars.