Merkur metal quality?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Flatfish, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I recently tried my Dads Merkur HD whilst he tried my Gillete Slim. Whilst I have only good things to say about the quality of the shave with the HD, I did notice that there was a small dent in the metal on the head of the razor, and a bump underneath the head (not under the dent) which, well I'm not sure quite what it was. Could it be corrosion of the metal? :eek: Surely not as the razor isn't even a year old yet. Could it be a manufacturing problem?
    Has anyone else noticed any blemishes on their Merkurs?
    The Gillette Slim, despite being 14 years older than me, (I'm 30) has not got any dents whatsoever apart from a small tarnished area on the head. Is the metal in a Gillette somehow superior to that of a Merkur?

2. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

I haven't noticed any dents or other deformations. However, the finish on the very top of the razor seems imperfect already, and the razor is only about 2 months old. Looks as if there was some polish or other finish that has worn off.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

It was probably just a manufacuring defect from when the razor was cast. There is no polish on the razors, just chrome plating. The merkurs arent the highest quality razors out there but give a great shave. When EJ makes their razors with the merkur heads they sand out any imprections, resand, and rechrome the razor to higher quality standards than merkur does.

4. apswartz

apswartz New Member

EJ???

5. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Edwin Jagger.
    They make (among many other things) DE razors with a Merkur head. Many are quite nice. There are a few with very nice handles that I am looking at, actually.

6. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Ah! Thanks for the quick reply!

7. texquill

texquill Member

I have 2 Merkurs (37C and 39C) that compose my entire rotation and have had no problems whatsoever with the finish on either after almost 3 years. They both sparkle as if they're brand new and neither has any indications of subsurface imperfections.

Ken

8. swayne

swayne New Member

I used to have a vision and now have a 34C and a Futur and have never had problem with any of them.

Steven.

9. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I had a merkur and there were casting imperfections on the ends of the razor. I think they put the quality into the parts that actually affect the shave, and leave the others areas with larger tolerences to keep prices down.