Gillette Case ID

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jimjo1031, Apr 13, 2017.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have been looking around to figure out what year (s) this case was used for the Flair Tip. I have seen cases that come with a tag saying "Regular", but not on the case itself, including on @mr-razor 's site. The case color itself is tan or beige, not white as in the pic because of sunlight. If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it. unspecifiedbbb.jpg

Jorvaljr and TitanTTB like this.
  2. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've seen more of this style case with 'Light, Regular, Heavy' embossed on the plastic styrene, than I have the one with the tag inside the case. The blue & red tip was offered from 1955-1960, and this ad from Mr. Razor that shows the tags inside is from 1955. So I would assume that this version came first and the embossed case later.

[​IMG]

FranklinFurter, preidy, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If it helps - @mgbbrown would know best. From what I've seen, and discussed with him, the 'Regular' means that it was produced after 1955. Prior to that, they had one SuperSpeed - the flare tip. It came out a year before the Red and Blue. Then, they had Red/Blue/Silver, but the boxes used the same lid as the previous 40's SuperSpeed, saying simply GILLETTE. Then they changed up and started embossing the lid separately. I'm not sure exactly when the SuperSpeed with the slanted script was used; I think it was after they stopped doing the Blue and Red, which would be 1961 and after.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

That helps me at least to know my Z3's (1954) are a bit early for the case. But my B1 (1956) looks like it could be a contender for that case.

5. brit

brit in a box

the b-1 1956 superspeed i just purchased has a tan case with nothing but gillette on the lid.may not be original case for razor though.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

Ain't it confusing...........

brit likes this.
  7. Bookworm

The white case is generally for the black handled superspeed.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

Yeah, need one of them also, besides some others. Trying not to buy any more razors and concentrate on getting cases, we'll see how long that will last, and their correct blade dispensers.

Taipan and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

the subtle changes between years that only a select few would know.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i d like to find a case for my 22/66 british aristocrat.just to give it a home,but my others i am not so worried about .

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. Bookworm

I have one of the white cases in almost perfect condition - bought it for $20 with a black tip superspeed in it.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Oh - and it came with the instructions - but not the black and white blade dispenser. I got one, but I refuse to open it. It's in the original packaging! So I 'll have to track someone down who wants to do something like trade a blue blade dispenser for the black and white one.

"pbbbththt"

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

this case is from the late 50s

jimjo1031 and Taipan like this.
  14. jimjo1031

Looks like I'll keep my B1 in the case until I find a C4, my birth year, to keep in it.

15. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

A great photo that brings back memories from long ago. Displays like the one in the photo were common in retail stores at least until the mid-1960's. I know. I bought my first razor, the light model with the blue tip, around 1964. It came in a case, as displayed, though I cannot recall whether it had the "light" marking on it. In time I dropped the razor, and as a result its head was askew. So I bought a new Slim Adjustable for $1.50. In those days, that was a significant investment for a teenager, but it turned out well. I used that Slim for at least the next fifteen years.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

Thank you.

17. Joseph Olivier

Joseph Olivier New Member

Resurrecting this old thread. Is there any info on whether or not anyone has ever successfully recreated the LIGHT, REGULAR and HEAVY razor tags? I'd love to have a set of tags for the razors in my collection. Thanks.