Your most annoying razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by '65 G-Slim, Apr 23, 2017.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Do you have a razor (straight, SE, DE, or injector) that, by virtue of some unknown oddity, just rubs you the wrong way (so to speak)? And although it might be near-mint and performs to your satisfaction, just seems weird when you use it?

Mine is the '80 (A3) waffle-grip Super Speed I last bought. Gave it a thorough cleaning, looks & functions as new, but terribly mild...and makes the weirdest "hollow" (for lack of a better description) sound as it cuts my whiskers. Unlike *any* of my other Super Speeds. Mild to the point where I have to scrub like crazy across my throat where my whiskers grow sideways. No irritation, though. My '49 and '53 can clean it up easily, but that black-handle makes me work for it. Milder than my ball-end Tech. And the doors, when opened...I'd read about the later models rattling, and this one shows how tolerances weren't as close as earlier ones. Just not as solidly-built, I reckon.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Gillette Rocket HD 500; no matter what I try, it fails to become a favourite for me.
    Gillette NEW LC; there is something to the head profile that doesn't agree with me.

Both razors are widely respected and loved, so it is a bit frustrating that they do not work for me.

crackstar, Jorvaljr and '65 G-Slim like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Old types, single rings hoffritz slant and most open combs.

crackstar likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My Parker 60R is my most annoying razor. I got it wit money for Fathers Day. It was the first TTO modern razor I had gotten when I got back into wet shaving. At the time I did not realize that it had a problem. It seemed to be mild on one side and aggressive on the other. Later, I decided to investigate it closer, and I discovered that it was just a sloppy alignment problem. If I was careful, I could get the blade to align equally on both sides. That was a pain for me. Although it is a nice looking razor with a nice long handle, I haven't used it years. But, I bought it with money for Fathers Day, so...
    [​IMG]

crackstar and Eeyore like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My AlumiGoose. Just can't seem to make it work for me.

crackstar likes this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I'd be happy to take that off your hands ;)

crackstar likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What happens?

crackstar and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

The PAL Adjustable injector was mine. But I ended up selling it and all the razors I have now work great.

crackstar and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It just isn't for me, when I look at the Hawk $25 and the new Brass General $99 they out outperform the AlumiGoose. The Brass General very well could be the best SE I own.

crackstar and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There are razors that I really didn't favor, but I either gave them away or sold them.

No sense in holding on to something if it bothers you.

crackstar likes this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Feather AS-D2. I really wanted to like it but it was way too mild. No matter what I did, I couldnt get to BBS with it and 12 years later I felt like I hadnt shaved in 3 days.
    ATT R1. No matter what I did or how careful I was, Id always cut myself with it. I tried different blades and using very light pressure and by my 3rd pass, Id always be a bloody mess.

crackstar likes this.
  12. '65 G-Slim

That's one reason my grandson's getting it. It'll be the mate to his '73 SS.

crackstar and PanChango like this.
  13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Agree and did the same.

crackstar likes this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I get it. I've had the complete opposite results with the those particular razors as I rate the 500 and NEW SC as my top shavers. Another example and proof in the pudding that YMMV is so applicable to this crazy business/pass time.

crackstar and Eeyore like this.
  15. icedog

icedog Member

Got a "Gillette Lady's" a number of years ago as part of a package buy. Cleaned up like new, looks real pretty, but just haven't been able to make myself try it out ... even in the privacy of my own bathroom. Just not sure what to do with the darn thing!

crackstar likes this.
  16. '65 G-Slim

If I got one, I'd have to give it to my daughter in law.

crackstar likes this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

They are actually very nice shavers. Go for it.

crackstar likes this.
  18. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I don't have one. All vintage Gillette (adjustable and non-adjustable) and one lone Krona. All are top-notch razors.

crackstar and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My full hollow straight. Its sharp but being a full hollow it has too much blade flex and I bleed. My 1/4 hollow is stiff enough for me and I'm still debating a wedge to see if I like that better. All my other razors are fine, even my cheap Russian razor with uneven blade exposure and a blade gap you can drive a semi through.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    If a razor I own truly annoys me, it doesn't remain part of the rotation very long—nor does it usually remain in my possession.
    The same applies to soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc.

crackstar likes this.