What is the status concerning "Shaveapocalypse"?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shave Fu, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

It's the Weishi rebranded! :happy088: However, not sold here. In my Amazon, there are slightly modified Weishis (the handle is a bit different), sold as "Baili" and "Jagen David" (this sounds almost an anagram of Edwin Jagger and i think it's on purpose to fool users). But none of them have the long handle version of the Weishi, only the short one and for 10 EUR more than the "authentic" short Weishi. At the end, if i see that FLs are gone for good from Amazon, i may order a short handle, just in case... So to have 2 spares. I am getting very accustomed to the Weishi, i 'd hate to find myself without any at some point. In a local forum there are some users that have 2 year old Weishis with no problems, but who knows if they have been using them continuously. I am not registered there, so can't ask. I just saw a Weishi dedicated thread. This is encouraging about longevity, but you never know... I prefer long handle, since i am used to it. But, as extreme solution, i am willing to buy short too. Anyway, i hope this is just temporary and that soon Amazon will be flooded with new Weishis FL! :o

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Baili is a different brand. I think that Jagen David is to lure in the jewish community by making them think of Mogen David mixed with Jagermeister. (thus Mad Dog 20/20 )

Don't worry about the L - that's just 'long'. If yours breaks, ask me. Mine isn't in regular rotation.

Keithmax and Shave Fu like this.
  3. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

My, my, you ARE really bookworm! I have no idea what i just read! :happy097: :smiley respect:

I know it's long, but i am kind of used to it now and i think the weight distribution would be different compared to the short. Anyway, thank you very much, but there's no such need as to send me overseas your weishi. I will probably be able to get a short handle with one name or another locally. Plus, i have already ordered a 2nd Weishi FL, before the disappearance of the Weishis, so i will sure have 1 for spare already. They just haven't sent it for me, but since i ordered while there was still 1 last available, i think that they will send it to me!

Are you sure this isn't just a Weishi with modified handle? The head looks very like the Weishi to me:

https://www.amazon.it/rasoio-sicure...8&qid=1493055479&sr=8-2&keywords=baili+rasoio

EDIT: Damn, you 're right! The lateral part of the head is different than the Weishi. It's another Gilette clone, but it's not Weishi! :happy088:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Bookworm

Mogen David wines are known as being kosher wines, thus very popular for Jewish ceremonies (and dinner in general). Mogen is the Yiddish pronunciation of 'Magen', and Magen David (Hebrew) is "Shield of David".

"Jagen" would, to me, be pronounced with the German Y sound, so 'Yagen', like Jaegermeister (apertif drink). So, Yagen David + Yiddish == Yogen David.

There's a lower grade wine made by Mogen David that's listed as MD 20/20. It's referred to as "Mad Dog 20/20", because of being popular with bums/winos/drunks/college students.

Shave Fu likes this.
  5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I see! You 're really good with explanations! I like it! BTW, it hit me the other night, about "friction". We do have "frizione". However, strangely, in medical terms, it's always "attrition" i have encountered, in relation to fluid dynamics. Because, it was bugging me "if it's from latin, how come we don't have it? It was the "ct" that threw me off".

Update: Ordered 300 more Astras SP (total 700 now), 200 more Sharks SS (total 300 now), plus i have 300 Dorco ST301, the 400 between Derby and Bluebird, 10 Personna Red and incoming a tuck of Treet Platinum, a tuck of Dorco Prime STP301 and one of ...Croma Diamant... I wanted to order Personna Reds, but if you want a box, the shop sells only 200 at 22 EUR. And i was thinking "200 Personnas vs 300 Astras for the same money. Do you really want to do that?". And i couldn't...So, moar Astras!

I think i have plenty of blades now. I will only buy some exceptionally good bang for buck for now on. I might buy 200 Personnas, BUT, i want to shave again, because i didn't like their rigidity. The Sharks costs a bit more than Astras, but, heck, they have a rustic feeling that i like and they are the "mild blade", to rotate to give my face a rest. The Astras and Dorcos are very sharp, hence "high stress" blades. Ideally, i 'd want another "mild" blade. If the Treets or Cromas prove that, i will buy a 100 for sure.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

"Jagen", I believe, is the word for "moving or working quickly and decisively." Must be idiomatic usage here.

Edit: depends on case, also root for hunt.

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Actually both in Dutch.

Hij jaagt het paard over de weg.
    Zij jaagt haar geluk achterna.
    Jullie jagen op konijnen.

Edit: op pinguïns mag niet gejaagd worden (speciaal voor @richgem )

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Nice! Does Dutch share much with German? I know they are totally different. I believe English is highly related to some dialects of Flemish spoken in the Belgium and parts of The Netherlands.

I really admire the abilities, of people I perceive to be Dutch nationals, who write in English. You and @macaronus come to mind. When you guys write about technical razor stuff, or describe your lives, it reads as if you are from the U.K. or the northeast USA. I mean that literally and as a great compliment.

@richgem also! You guys are good.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. Bama Samurai

Amongst my larger family circle in Alabama, the sister of my sister's husband is a former Italian AF fighter pilot. His wife, who also flew F16s, met him while assigned for NATO duty at Aviano. I am loving the new words from your posts to have fun with at Christmas dinner!

The Alabama girl who grew up to flew jets, mentioned above. This pic is already on the internet, she's retired from duty as of 2013. It was taken when she was first assigned to a combat squadron, and since that time she's delivered ordnance over Iraq in a close air-support mission working with the USMC and US Army, as well as several transatlantic flights. She caught a ride back to the USA for my sister's wedding by ferrying an F16 back from Germany for major maintenance, complete with aerial refueling. Tough lady. @Douglas Carey might get a kick out of seeing this, since she's served in combat looking out for Marines.

IMG_1335.JPG

10. Bookworm

Frankly, (and again, Saxonly), English is related to the Indo-European languages through northern Europe (Denmark, Northern Germany, Nordic countries) than through middle Europe or Southern Europe from Latin. Flemish, Dutch, Afrikaans / German, Yiddish are offshoots of Germanic, the same as English and Frisian. And whatever godawful hodgepodge the Geordies speak.

https://www.englishclub.com/history-of-english/

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Cool stuff. I enjoy reading about word origins. They are intellectual and social artifacts of human history, in a sense.

12. Bookworm

I need to track down some audio of people speaking Frisian. Just because.

The most fun, to me, is the Great Vowel Shift. There's a really good Dutch professor on Youtube that gives a breakdown on it. It's funny listening to the accent while he tries to explain how 'house' was originally pronounced 'huus' (or 'hoos'), but the breakdown of the historical pattern is fascinating. Especially when you consider that it's still happening in the US. (In Rochester, NY, 'pretty solid' can sound like 'party salad')

It means that we'll eventually be 'shoving' with 'rasurs' :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That should be easy to find, especially when you search on "Fries" or "Friese taal".
    Huus/Hoes is still a separation line in the Lower Saxon dialects, such as spoken in the border regions between Germany and the Netherlands. But it's more like "Hoes" is an enclave in a sea of "Huus" really ;-)

http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/_voo004199501_01/_voo004199501_01_0005.php

http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/ewnd/boeken/woord/9686

In the Twents variety of the Lower Saxon language, it is "hoes". Both when you move north and south, it changes to "huus".

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks for this Chris. Nothing better than to see a beautiful women who kills the enemy in support of Marines! :happy096:

Keithmax and BaylorGator like this.
  15. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Is that Mrs. Samurai? You didn't tell me that she was a total badass! Thank God all we idiots need is one good day when the stars line up and they say "yes" to us, followed by a life of silent regret and head shaking. Clearly we get the better end of this deal.

Edit: OK, I just read the sister of your sisters husband remark, and realized I am clearly confused. Wait, that probably went without saying, didn't it. I know that this is a relatively simple branch it the world of Alabama family trees, but I'm gonna have to noodle on it a minute or two. Regardless, you've got to admire a pretty woman who can laydown a strafing run regardless of whose sister, wife or cousin she is!

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Specifically for Dutch and German; the vocabulary is pretty similar, but there are many grammar differences.

Bama Samurai and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Nice! I can teach you a couple of basic italian phrases to swear, if you like. :happy097: I can already imagine your Christmas table. Everyone with his gun on the table and she with a little aircraft bomb! How cute! :lyrtuy5:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Bookworm

No-one puts their gun on the dinner table. It's extremely rude. They're kept in a holster, or if the belt is removable, it's hung over the back of the chair.

You only put the guns on the table when cleaning them.

19. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I am just kidding. :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. Bookworm

I wasn't. :)

Keithmax, wchnu, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.